Stripes - Electric Tape vs. Athletic Tape?

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I have TKD belts with electric tape stripes, and BJJ belts with athletic tape stripes.

IMO, electric tape has been the vastly superior option. They're bright and shiny, and in my opinion stay on better. Although that may be due to the lack of grappling and that you don't need to wash your belt in TKD. They also tend to be colored by default, which is a lot more fun.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have TKD belts with electric tape stripes, and BJJ belts with athletic tape stripes.

IMO, electric tape has been the vastly superior option. They're bright and shiny, and in my opinion stay on better. Although that may be due to the lack of grappling and that you don't need to wash your belt in TKD. They also tend to be colored by default, which is a lot more fun.
You must not sweat like I do, if you don't wash your belt...

Hot Lunch

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score

Do you own more than one belt? I'm starting soon, and it's starting to seem like a smart idea to own at least two, that way you always have a dry one available while the other is hanging.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’ll toss out a third option. I used bias tape (used in sewing) and applied it with Stitch Witchery. Good for washing, comes in many colors. And taking it off is relatively easy - you can just peel it off.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I feel like this is one of those things that can easily be overthought...
Just use whatever is handy.

OP
skribs

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I feel like this is one of those things that can easily be overthought...
Just use whatever is handy.
You can also plan ahead, so whatever is handy is whatever you decided was best.

J. Pickard

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Not in TKD. I do in BJJ.

At least. I hope it's my sweat.
really? I find I sweat equally as much in both.

There is a tape that is made specifically for Bjj belts that grapplingstore.com has but I've never used it. I've never been a big fan of belt stripes but I can see how they help keep a system organized.

HighKick

Black Belt
Reaction score

There are different grades of electrical tape, largely by brand. The cheap stuff you by at Walmart will not stay on very long. 3M Scotch Super 33 or 88 will stay on far longer than any tape I know of. It comes in many colors for identification purposes.
Athletic tapes tends to lift rather quickly. I think this is mainly because it is intended for short term use only.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Do you own more than one belt? I'm starting soon, and it's starting to seem like a smart idea to own at least two, that way you always have a dry one available while the other is hanging.

It is kind of not done as old scummy belts have more prestige.

But a smart move to have a spare as forgetting or loosing your belt is also very embarrassing.

Hot Lunch

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
As far as adding stripes, I just did a quick Amazon search and found this:

tape.jpg

It's 100% cotton. Is there a taboo against simply taking the belt to an alteration shop and getting pieces of this sewn on?

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
As far as adding stripes, I just did a quick Amazon search and found this:

View attachment 29934

It's 100% cotton. Is there a taboo against simply taking the belt to an alteration shop and getting pieces of this sewn on?
No taboo. Most places don't, simply because it's an unnecessary cost, especially for colored belts that really are not worn that long. I tend to use electrical tape. It's cheap, readily available in all the usual colors, lasts way longer than anybody wears the belt, and can be applied right then and there. Dan ranks get a new belt when they're promoted. Our tradition (which seems pretty common) is to embroider their name on one end, "Moo Duk Kwan Taekwondo" on the other, and the appropriate number of bars on both ends.

OP
skribs

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I've super glued the last inch of the wrap on my BJJ belt and it's held the stripes great. The big thing I was worried about is the end starting to peel off. With the glue, hasn't happened through multiple washes.
Dan ranks get a new belt when they're promoted. Our tradition (which seems pretty common) is to embroider their name on one end, "Moo Duk Kwan Taekwondo" on the other, and the appropriate number of bars on both ends.
Can you post a picture of one? (With names blurred or blocked out, unless the owner doesn't care).

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Can you post a picture of one? (With names blurred or blocked out, unless the owner doesn't care).
Sure. This is an old belt of mine, and Mrs. Dogs 1st Dan, and her 1st Geup belt, with the electrical tape stripes.
IMG_6384[1].JPG IMG_6386[1].JPG IMG_6388[1].JPG IMG_6387[1].JPG

My belts are from Eosin Panther. They're not cheap, but they're worn for a long time so it's worth it. Mrs. Dogs blackbelt is an old one of mine that we had embroidered for her, for sentimental reasons.

OP
skribs

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Sure. This is an old belt of mine, and Mrs. Dogs 1st Dan, and her 1st Geup belt, with the electrical tape stripes.
View attachment 29935 View attachment 29936 View attachment 29938 View attachment 29937

My belts are from Eosin Panther. They're not cheap, but they're worn for a long time so it's worth it. Mrs. Dogs blackbelt is an old one of mine that we had embroidered for her, for sentimental reasons.
Interesting. I've never seen bars on both sides before. Although I can see how that would be helpful.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Interesting. I've never seen bars on both sides before. Although I can see how that would be helpful.
I don't think it's about function so much as symmetry. It's not like the bars are necessary. It's not a huge school where people might not know to whom to listen. I've got one belt that my KJN had made while he was on a visit to Korea. It's single sided embroidery with my name on one end in English and Korean and MDKTKD on the other in Korean. That one has bars only on one end.