Striking with the fore arm.

chrissyp

Green Belt
Reaction score
What's everyone's opinion on this? I've been trying to think outside of the box, so while watching a video on bare knuckle boxer done by travelers, they were showing a degree of strikes with the fore arm that I found interesting, and you don't see it too often. seems pretty solid to me or am I missing something?

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have trained and teach some pretty basic adaptations of strikes using the forearm. The easiest (and perhaps most available) is a forearm to the side of the neck, which has the bonus of potentially activating the brachial plexus. This can have a range of effects including a possible knock-out.

I've also seen videos talking about big forearm swings - much bigger than you'd normally risk with a fist. It's harder to injure the big bones and muscles in the forearm than the smaller bits in your hand.

OP
C

chrissyp

Green Belt
Reaction score
I have trained and teach some pretty basic adaptations of strikes using the forearm. The easiest (and perhaps most available) is a forearm to the side of the neck, which has the bonus of potentially activating the brachial plexus. This can have a range of effects including a possible knock-out.

I've also seen videos talking about big forearm swings - much bigger than you'd normally risk with a fist. It's harder to injure the big bones and muscles in the forearm than the smaller bits in your hand.
All valid points! I was interested in for the purpose of different angles originally.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
All valid points! I was interested in for the purpose of different angles originally.
I'm not certain I've followed your point on this one, so if my reply makes no sense, chalk it up to me needing sleep. :)

There are few angles where I could hit with a forearm but not a fist, but there are some I like. One is entering hard (to jam a striking arm, for instance) and using the near-side forearm against the neck to disrupt structure. I can slip that forearm to the neck in where their guard might make a punch to the face harder (and punching the side of the neck would be an awkward angle).

OP
C

chrissyp

Green Belt
Reaction score
I'm not certain I've followed your point on this one, so if my reply makes no sense, chalk it up to me needing sleep. :)

There are few angles where I could hit with a forearm but not a fist, but there are some I like. One is entering hard (to jam a striking arm, for instance) and using the near-side forearm against the neck to disrupt structure. I can slip that forearm to the neck in where their guard might make a punch to the face harder (and punching the side of the neck would be an awkward angle).
Thats what i was going for! ty :)

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
What's everyone's opinion on this? I've been trying to think outside of the box, so while watching a video on bare knuckle boxer done by travelers, they were showing a degree of strikes with the fore arm that I found interesting, and you don't see it too often. seems pretty solid to me or am I missing something?

Sure, there are any number of effective forearm strikes. A lot of punches (especially hook punches and things of that sort) can be done with the forearm, depending on the range. Likewise, a downward forearm can be used instead of an elbow. It all just depends on exactly where the bodies are and where they're moving.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I use them for grappling more than anything. Collar ties, Thai grapples and cross faces.

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
For self defence they're much more useful than punches so you don't break your hand. Forearms and palm strikes are the best things to use for head strikes in self defence

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
The head lock is a 45 degree downward hay-maker on the side of your opponent's head. When you get a head lock on your opponent, you have knocked him out half way already.

Mitlov

Purple Belt
Reaction score

In Shotokan we learned that all the "basic blocks" instead could be attacks with the forearm. So a high block, if you were close, is actually a forearm strike to the jaw. Etc.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Brachial stuns with the forearm are a beautiful thing.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What's a plow block entry, bro?
Put both hands together in front, arms bent (looks like the cow-mover on the front of a train), and enter HARD against an attack. One forearm goes to the shoulder or upper arm, the other to a brachial stun, both as strikes. It evolves to a number of entries to clinch, grappling, etc.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Strikes with the forearm in kung fu often look like blocks. You will hear some people say that they don't block. When people say this they may be referring to this this type of striking. You see quite a bit of this with WC as well.

Hung Ga forearm strikes

Choy Li Fut forearm strikes

Another Hung Ga

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
There are also some strikes where you use the forearms like a bat.