Striking, Sparring and CTE

FriedRice

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Citation required.

Have you ever sparred hard before, with full, mutual agreements...that you and your partner, will be trying to KO each other with full power in a timed round?

pdg

Senior Master
Reaction score
Have you ever sparred hard before, with full, mutual agreements...that you and your partner, will be trying to KO each other with full power in a timed round?

I could say yes, I could say no. It's really not relevant.

I can absolutely state that it holds no appeal for me.

That doesn't mean I'm scared to - which appears to be something you struggle to process.

Not interested does not equal afraid.

If I was afraid, I'd not be afraid to admit it. I'm scared of heights. Woop, so what? I don't like aeroplanes (but oddly, helicopters I'm fine with). Oh noes.

FriedRice

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I could say yes, I could say no. It's really not relevant.

I can absolutely state that it holds no appeal for me.

That doesn't mean I'm scared to - which appears to be something you struggle to process.

Not interested does not equal afraid.

If I was afraid, I'd not be afraid to admit it. I'm scared of heights. Woop, so what? I don't like aeroplanes (but oddly, helicopters I'm fine with). Oh noes.

The difference being, you don't tout yourself as some expert of feats pertaining to heights. Too easy.

:) :) :)

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Horses for causes people...

Im 30+ years old. Done MA for 25 years. I have done American Kenpo, BJJ and a bit of MMA. At my stage in my life i have a wife and a 17 month old. I don't really feel like getting banged up and having full contact sparring sessions like in MMA. Also i do MA part time. It is not my job i take no money from it and don't fancy turning up to work with black eyes etc lol. So i stick to Kenpo, does it have all the answers unquestionably no but i supplement with training i feel works with it.

MMA to me is more a young mans game and full credit to them. Do i want to get in a ring and prove myself, maybe sometimes but i also feel i have a greater responsibility and don't feel like i need to be in the squared circle in a proving ground. But you know the consequences of doing MMA and CTE is prevalent and will only continue, you signed the Ts & Cs / waiver you KNOW what your getting in to and its YOUR choice.

Adjust you training to what you, your training partner but more importantly what your instructors says to go for. Want to go 70% in MMA then great find someone who works at that level. Getting older and your backs jacked up and you just love MA and want to keep your hand in then fine go somewhere that goes 20%. The point is no one is right or wrong here.

Absolutely! You have to adjust your training to your needs. In my case I have to be incredibly fit for work. My work requires that I be able to handle individuals and restrain them when needed. So I have to be fit for work but I also have to be uninjured to do my work. If my training injures me then I cannot work. So I have to balance training so that it actually helps me at work and I am uninjured so that I can complete my daily tasks. Everyone has to take in their priorities and train accordingly!

pdg

Senior Master
Reaction score
The difference being, you don't tout yourself as some expert of feats pertaining to heights. Too easy.

:) :) :)

I don't tout myself as a ktfo fighting expert either.

Still doesn't mean I'm scared of it, which is what you accused me of.

Doesn't mean I'm incapable of it either.

FriedRice

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I don't tout myself as a ktfo fighting expert either.

Still doesn't mean I'm scared of it, which is what you accused me of.

But what you claim to train is/are Martial Arts, which at the highest level is to knock someone the **** out, by really doing so. So your sparring level would be somewhere at pretend striking and up to light contact to not risk CTE and concussions.

Doesn't mean I'm incapable of it either.

You never tried it though, because you admitted to being scared of getting concussions & CTE. So it's all theory in your case.

pdg

Senior Master
Reaction score
So your sparring level would be somewhere at pretend striking and up to light contact to not risk CTE and concussions.

No, actually it's not "up to light contact".

There's a large spectrum of contact between "light" and "heavy".

But you wouldn't understand.

You never tried it though, because you admitted to being scared of getting concussions & CTE.

No, I didn't admit any such thing.

Which you actually know, evidenced by your refusal to quote where I made this statement.

FriedRice

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
No, actually it's not "up to light contact".

There's a large spectrum of contact between "light" and "heavy".

But you wouldn't understand.

But if you're scared of CTE and concussions, then your heavy is not the same as my heavy.

No, I didn't admit any such thing.

Which you actually know, evidenced by your refusal to quote where I made this statement.

Have you ever agreed to spar at full power, with timed rounds for knockouts before? If yes, more than 20 times or less?

pdg

Senior Master
Reaction score
But if you're scared of CTE and concussions, then your heavy is not the same as my heavy.

I never said I was scared.

Do you need it written in crayon to understand?

And how does it make your heavy different to mine anyway?

I said there's stuff between light and heavy - it's not a binary option.

Have you ever agreed to spar at full power, with timed rounds for knockouts before? If yes, more than 20 times or less?

That holds absolutely no relevance whatsoever to being scared or not.

I'm having difficulty comprehending how you can be quite so thick as to not understand these simple statements.

The only thing I can think is that you're doing it for an argument, because surely nobody is quite that stupid.

FriedRice

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I never said I was scared.

Do you need it written in crayon to understand?

And how does it make your heavy different to mine anyway?

I said there's stuff between light and heavy - it's not a binary option.

That holds absolutely no relevance whatsoever to being scared or not.

I'm having difficulty comprehending how you can be quite so thick as to not understand these simple statements.

The only thing I can think is that you're doing it for an argument, because surely nobody is quite that stupid.

:D :D :D

pdg

Senior Master
Reaction score
You need to change your avatar to a pigeon.

Because trying to discuss anything with you is like playing chess with one.

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Have you ever agreed to spar at full power, with timed rounds for knockouts before? If yes, more than 20 times or less? :D :D :D

Don't know about the guy you want to argue with, "pdg", but I'll gladly answer you. No.

When I was young, I got in a few fights, and did some medium contact sparring, but I never boxed, and never went to a boxing or kickboxing gym (I use those examples since that was in the 60s and 70s before UFC was around). Now, in my 60s with joint issues, and more recently some concerns about my eyes, full contact training would be idiotic. So, I'm quite content with training at a lighter, more healthful pace that my body can sustain ...even if it won't prepare me for the rigors of all out fighting.

Also, after seeing some people I care for succumb to dementia, and eventually die from it, I do find the effects of CTE a concern. If it doesn't bother you, that's your business. But that doesn't make you braver or better than anyone else. In fact the way the way you have been expressing yourself and have been going after "pdg" hasn't gotten you many fans here. Just thought I'd share that in case you haven't noticed on your own. That's all, ...carry on. :)

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
Don't know about the guy you want to argue with, "pdg", but I'll gladly answer you. No.

When I was young, I got in a few fights, and did some medium contact sparring, but I never boxed, and never went to a boxing or kickboxing gym (I use those examples since that was in the 60s and 70s before UFC was around). Now, in my 60s with joint issues, and more recently some concerns about my eyes, full contact training would be idiotic. So, I'm quite content with training at a lighter, more healthful pace that my body can sustain ...even if it won't prepare me for the rigors of all out fighting.

Also, after seeing some people I care for succumb to dementia, and eventually die from it, I do find the effects of CTE a concern. If it doesn't bother you, that's your business. But that doesn't make you braver or better than anyone else. In fact the way the way you have been expressing yourself and have been going after "pdg" hasn't gotten you many fans here. Just thought I'd share that in case you haven't noticed on your own. That's all, ...carry on. :)
Agreed. I have done a lot of full contact stuff and frankly I'm very lucky I've never experienced any issues from it. I competed for fun back then and never sparred like an idiot. Now I have 0 interest in fighting full contact. I probably still could if I really wanted to but I'm just not interested I'm not going to get smashed around just to puff my chest out and tell everyone how tough I am because of it. I'm confident in myself to not need to prove myself to anyone. I don't train kickboxing much anymore. I do it once a week in a club which is mainly pad work. It's run by a former fighter but it's not a fight gym everyone there just wants to train not fight. Would training there get me ready to step in the ring probably not but who cares. I'm still training and staying healthy better than sitting at home doing nothing

pdg

Senior Master
Reaction score

:D :D :D

If I say yes, you'll say "but you're scared to do it now".

If I say no, you'll say "because you're scared".

What you just can't wrap your tiny mind around is that being "scared" doesn't enter into it.

And as I'm not scared, no, I haven't. Because (again) it holds no appeal for me.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
[QUOTE="FriedRice, post: 1928922, member: 24070"

Now on the other hand, I agree with you when it comes to what I'd subject myself to and what I'd subject my students to...in terms of such head trauma as apart of fight training...[/QUOTE]

You teach? Straight fighting, or Martial Arts?

FriedRice

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
[QUOTE="FriedRice, post: 1928922, member: 24070"

You teach? Straight fighting, or Martial Arts?

Yea, little kids and adults, mostly Muay Thai with grappling. From complete beginners....to just for fitness...to light sparring (because they're scared of hard sparring).....to medium sparring....to hard sparring...to the highest level = fighter's training.

FriedRice

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
If I say yes, you'll say "but you're scared to do it now".

If I say no, you'll say "because you're scared".

What you just can't wrap your tiny mind around is that being "scared" doesn't enter into it.

And as I'm not scared, no, I haven't. Because (again) it holds no appeal for me.

sounds like you're scared of answering the question, also.

FriedRice

Master Black Belt
Reaction score

I have no argument against this. I probably wouldn't be sparring hard in my 60's neither. The difference between you and the other guy is that you're not afraid to admit to it.

Nah, I don't need any internet fans really. But I would disagree with you here that it does make me braver and better, because I can do something that can't and are are fearful of. You don't think that there's plenty of fear when preparing for that very 1st fight in the ring.....for months, leading all the way up to that exact moment when you walk into the ring and waiting for the bell? Or do you not think that there are differences between someone who enlists in the Marines during the Vietnam War vs. the guy that got drafted or the one who got daddy to pull some strings to get him into the National Guard? After all, they're all soldiers aren't they? All equally brave? All heroes of the same degree?

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
This is getting beyond stupid now. People can train how they want to. Just because they don't spar hard doesn't mean they're scared of it. Even if they are scared of it....so what? It's not anyone's business what anyone else does with their time. If you want to spar hard and get concussions good on you that's your business, if someone wants to spar light and not spar at all then good on them to

Latest Discussions