Striking, Sparring and CTE

pdg

Senior Master
Reaction score
@FriedRice - exactly what is funny about it?

You claimed I said something which I know I didn't, so I asked you to back up your claim, so you reply:

I don't feel like re-reading the entire thread.

So do you spar hard at full power for head knockouts as apart of training in whatever it is that you train? Not all the time, but sometimes....do you?

In other words, you made it up but are using the "I can't be bothered" line to try to appear nonchalant.

It's not working, it just proves you have no idea.

Oh, and doing or not doing something is no evidence of fear or lack thereof.

I do things I'm afraid of all the time - like getting up a ladder to clear gutters, I hate heights. I had injections for a tooth extraction, I hate needles. But hey, got to be done so it gets overcome.

On the other hand I don't do some things because I have no interest in doing them. I don't crochet - not through fear but through lack of interest. I don't watch celebrity big brother on TV, because it's crap and it bores me, not because I'm afraid.

So anyway, be sure to let us know when puberty kicks in for you, you might start making sense then.

FriedRice

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I've had a concussion before. It's definitely not a training feature. lol
1. It hurt really bad. "head hit gym floor"
2. Kept trying to go to sleep.
3. Had periods of blacking out.
4. Threw up a lot
5. Had to go to the hospital.
6. Because it happened to me as a child, it caused trauma. As a teen I relived the experience via a dream. Now it's one of my strongest memories.

I couldn't imagine having to go through some of these things multiple times throughout the year. I think that risk would make me more agressive to the point that I would rather give my sparring partner a concussion just so I wouldn't get one. Then again. I'm not a professional fighter. I can't fight in the ring if I'm always recovering from head injuries f t om training.

There are many levels of a concussion. That sounded like a serious concussion that you sustained.

While mild concussions can happen from light sparring at that 35% power level that you described. Like women who are weak in the trap muscle area, can get concussions from even a light-medium powered jab....causing their head to snap back violently. This happened to 2 girls that I was training to fight, and I hit them very light.

When you're head is feeling cloudy, similar to a head cold/congestion.....after some sparring, then you probably have a mild concussion and your brain is bruised, but trapped inside your skull. The cloudiness goes away as the brain swelling goes down.

You can get concussions from jerking of the head, shaking, etc. So pretty much, it's unavoidable in most martial arts unless you train Cardio Kickboxing like probably a lot of these dudes in here do. :D

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
here are many levels of a concussion. That sounded like a serious concussion that you sustained.
Yeah it was. I hope to never have anything like that again.

When you're head is feeling cloudy, similar to a head cold/congestion.....after some sparring, then you probably have a mild concussion and your brain is bruised, but trapped inside your skull. The cloudiness goes away as the brain swelling goes down.
I've never experienced those before.

I'm pretty sure I've head my brain slosh around but nothing that impaired or seriously hurt me. I have had other head injuries in life but not related to Martial Arts. Martial Arts is fairly safe to me compared to all the crazy stuff I used to do as a kid when I suffered head injuries. I've literally done a complete forward roll on my bike by using my head. I was doing some stunts one day and my back wheel pop upward causing my bike to flip forward. I landed on top of my head and bounced off enough to flip my bike upright while I was still still on it.

I basically did this but about 1 or 2 feet off the ground, and landed on my head, then flipped over upright while still sitting on my bike. It's a wonder how I didn't suffer any spinal damage from that or have any skull fracture.

lqkenpo

White Belt
Reaction score
Horses for causes people...

Im 30+ years old. Done MA for 25 years. I have done American Kenpo, BJJ and a bit of MMA. At my stage in my life i have a wife and a 17 month old. I don't really feel like getting banged up and having full contact sparring sessions like in MMA. Also i do MA part time. It is not my job i take no money from it and don't fancy turning up to work with black eyes etc lol. So i stick to Kenpo, does it have all the answers unquestionably no but i supplement with training i feel works with it.

MMA to me is more a young mans game and full credit to them. Do i want to get in a ring and prove myself, maybe sometimes but i also feel i have a greater responsibility and don't feel like i need to be in the squared circle in a proving ground. But you know the consequences of doing MMA and CTE is prevalent and will only continue, you signed the Ts & Cs / waiver you KNOW what your getting in to and its YOUR choice.

Adjust you training to what you, your training partner but more importantly what your instructors says to go for. Want to go 70% in MMA then great find someone who works at that level. Getting older and your backs jacked up and you just love MA and want to keep your hand in then fine go somewhere that goes 20%. The point is no one is right or wrong here.

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
Horses for causes people...

Im 30+ years old. Done MA for 25 years. I have done American Kenpo, BJJ and a bit of MMA. At my stage in my life i have a wife and a 17 month old. I don't really feel like getting banged up and having full contact sparring sessions like in MMA. Also i do MA part time. It is not my job i take no money from it and don't fancy turning up to work with black eyes etc lol. So i stick to Kenpo, does it have all the answers unquestionably no but i supplement with training i feel works with it.

MMA to me is more a young mans game and full credit to them. Do i want to get in a ring and prove myself, maybe sometimes but i also feel i have a greater responsibility and don't feel like i need to be in the squared circle in a proving ground. But you know the consequences of doing MMA and CTE is prevalent and will only continue, you signed the Ts & Cs / waiver you KNOW what your getting in to and its YOUR choice.

Adjust you training to what you, your training partner but more importantly what your instructors says to go for. Want to go 70% in MMA then great find someone who works at that level. Getting older and your backs jacked up and you just love MA and want to keep your hand in then fine go somewhere that goes 20%. The point is no one is right or wrong here.
Exactly I stopped fighting full contact when my first child was born. I realised I wanna be around to play with my kids and go places and not be shuffling around barely able to talk. Fact is I made absolutely no money from any fight I competed in. I must've had about 30 matches in my life and never mind a cent. What's the point in taking the risk for no money so I just enjoy the physical benefits

pdg

Senior Master
Reaction score
need some preparation-H?

Not as much as you need a pair of Joo Janta 200 Super-Chromatic Peril Sensitive Sunglasses so that you can face going back to quote my posts.

FriedRice

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Yeah it was. I hope to never have anything like that again.
I've never experienced those before.

Me neither. It was really freaky to experience like 90% of all the symptoms listed on medical sites. A really freaky one was to have fits of rage, and this was over something so minor.

I'm pretty sure I've head my brain slosh around but nothing that impaired or seriously hurt me. I have had other head injuries in life but not related to Martial Arts. Martial Arts is fairly safe to me compared to all the crazy stuff I used to do as a kid when I suffered head injuries. I've literally done a complete forward roll on my bike by using my head. I was doing some stunts one day and my back wheel pop upward causing my bike to flip forward. I landed on top of my head and bounced off enough to flip my bike upright while I was still still on it.

I basically did this but about 1 or 2 feet off the ground, and landed on my head, then flipped over upright while still sitting on my bike. It's a wonder how I didn't suffer any spinal damage from that or have any skull fracture.

Martial Arts is probably not that dangerous for you now is because you've mastered your style and therefore, rarely get hit in the head, nor often hard....as that's not how you run your program. I'm in the same boat and dudes rarely can touch my head. And when I'm up against someone who can clean my clock, and we're going hard... then I usually know when to stop and/or surrender b/c I don't want a serious concussion. I still enjoy getting down and spar hard once in a while, and do get mild concussions but they're manageable and just consider it as apart of the risks.

pdg

Senior Master
Reaction score
I usually know when to stop and/or surrender b/c I don't want a serious concussion.

So, is that you admitting you're scared of getting a serious concussion?

Certainly looks like it to me.

And in a much clearer fashion than anything I've said about it.

FriedRice

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
So, is that you admitting you're scared of getting a serious concussion?

Certainly looks like it to me.

And in a much clearer fashion than anything I've said about it.

Yeah, most of the time when I spar hard vs. high level pro fighters up to UFC fighters, of course I'm scared of them. But the big difference being, you're scared of any and all, hard sparring and never dared to :)

FriedRice

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Not as much as you need a pair of Joo Janta 200 Super-Chromatic Peril Sensitive Sunglasses so that you can face going back to quote my posts.

You're trying so hard now. Did that cut too deep?

Latest Discussions