Striking Angles....

OP
Bammx2

Bammx2

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Drifter said:
Yup, he certainly used them in his Knifecraft Series. They were introduced in Tape 2.

Here is a link to his site. The numbering system from the Series is found at the bottom of the page. 5, 6, and 7 are thrusts. 8 is a large circular cut.

Good luck in training!
Thanks muchly for that!

That number 8 is a hard one to get my head round though.........:erg:

D

Drifter

Think about cutting in a circle, then rotate it 90 degrees and that's the angle that 8 is.

Alternatively, think of a bicycle, and think about the way that your foot moves as it pedals. That's kind of the way your hand moves.

Lastly, if you want another example, put your hand on your forehead. Move your hand forward and up towards the ceiling without fully extending your arm. Move it forward and down almost touching the computer screen all the way down. Now go down and back along the keyboard and back to the starting place on your forehead.

I hope that explains it, it's very difficult to put into words. I think the motion is typically called a Redondo?

OP
Bammx2

Bammx2

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Drifter said:
Think about cutting in a circle, then rotate it 90 degrees and that's the angle that 8 is.

Alternatively, think of a bicycle, and think about the way that your foot moves as it pedals. That's kind of the way your hand moves.

Lastly, if you want another example, put your hand on your forehead. Move your hand forward and up towards the ceiling without fully extending your arm. Move it forward and down almost touching the computer screen all the way down. Now go down and back along the keyboard and back to the starting place on your forehead.

I hope that explains it, it's very difficult to put into words. I think the motion is typically called a Redondo?
AH-HA!

I have it now!
It especially rang true when you mentioned "redondo".
I wasn't really sure because 2 of the striking angles we use in rapid arnis I personally, do not see as target angles,but actual techniques.
That what I was getting with Mr.Keatings angle 8.

I'm just happy I have a better understanding now!

Thanks again.:asian:

K Williams

Blue Belt
Reaction score
arnisador said:
Dekiti Tirsia Siradas also does its 12 angles with different flavors, but they're still just 12 angles.

In Modern Arnis there are 12 numbered strikes, but angles 6,7 and 10,11 are usually taught as the same angle, so that there are only 10 distinct angles. (Some people will find a way to make 10,11 different by hooking them more or something, but I learned them as 6,7 done higher.) Remember, 12 is a special number!

I learned 6 and 7 as thrusts to the sub-clavian artery & 10 and 11 as thrusts to the eyes.

OP
Bammx2

Bammx2

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
In Rapid Arnis,we have 12 angles with 6 & 7 being thrusts to the upper left & right chest or under the jaw bone on both sides.

10 & 11 being watiks to both temples,which I actually consider a technique and not angles..but it still works!

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
K Williams said:
I learned 6 and 7 as thrusts to the sub-clavian artery & 10 and 11 as thrusts to the eyes.
Me too. Different targets, but the same angles.

The WMAA has since dropped 10, 11 because of this redundancy. Some people practiced them with 10, 11 being, say, hooking or abanco shots, but I learned them from Tim Hartman and Remy Presas as thrusts, just like 6, 7.

Latest Discussions