Stretching

mcleod13

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I am gonna try and ask this as clearly as I can. For some strange reason, when I stretch, especially the groing stretch where you put your feet together and push down on your knees, my righ leg just won't stretch.

It is really tight on my right hip.. It prevents me from sitting "indian style." I can't seem to stretch it and get more flexible. Any suggestions?

Deaf Smith

Master of Arts
Reaction score
mcleod13,

What do you mean 'indian style'? Is this where your legs are folded?

When stretching, are you sitting down and trying to bend over and go as flat as you can with your torso toward your legs?

Deaf

OP
mcleod13

mcleod13

Orange Belt
Reaction score
mcleod13,

What do you mean 'indian style'? Is this where your legs are folded?

When stretching, are you sitting down and trying to bend over and go as flat as you can with your torso toward your legs?

Deaf

Yep. By Indian style I mean legs folded. Kind of like meditation style. Yes I do try that. It just feels as though my right hip doesn't want to stretch or bend as much as my left.

The thing that gets me is that it doesn't feel as though as something is stretching. It just doesn't move.

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Happens.

It could be from an old injury or just because.

It might pop and be good or worse.

Your best bet is to consult a doctor about it.

TX_BB

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Are you Diabetic? Only asking since this maybe a PAD problem that you and your health professionals need to look at (Doctor & physical therapist).

bluekey88

Senior Master
Reaction score
I'll third the suggestions of seeing a health profesisonal. I've never went wrong doing that...and often suffered for not having done it sooner!

Peace,
Erik

Deaf Smith

Master of Arts
Reaction score
mcleod13,

This is just a possibility, not probability....

See in my left leg I had always noticed I could not fully fold it back against my thigh. Well one day during an exhibition training day, I jump kicked this punching bag we had way out to simulate flying over two or three people. I landed wrong and there was a 'crunch' sound in my left knee.

Had trouble with that knee for years collapsing. So finally I went to an orthopedic doctor. The X-ray showed a tumor near the knee. Well they took the tumor out (it was fist size wrapped around the lesser bone.) Took the bone with it to.

So, you might want to check and see if the problem is a growth that is blocking movement.

Just a thought,

Deaf

OP
mcleod13

mcleod13

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Nope, I am not diabetic. I am going to go see a Sports Medicine doctor soon to see what is going on. It is aggrevating. It doesn't hurt at all, but I know it is limiting me.

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I agree with all those who say to go see a doctor. There may be nothing wrong - in which case I'd suggest you start researching stretching routines - but there may be, and that last thing you want to do is aggravate an existing injury.

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Yes you need to go and see a professional about this, best of luck.

newy085

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I have always had a little bit of a problem stretching my hips, nothing major, just restricting. I have found my problems stemmed from tight hip flexors. Just wondering, are you in a job where you are sitting down alot, this will cause them to shorten, and pull your hips into a position where movement is restricted.

If this is the case there are a couple of good stretches for this, just google for it. You should see improvements within a couple of months.