Stretching before and/or after TKD training

DrewTheTKDStudent1992

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Hey guys, while we are on this topic, since stretching is vital to martial arts, Taekwondo more so, how would you guys place stretching during your training?

What kind of stretching do you do before and after your workouts?

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I like to mix static and dynamic stretching before. I usually don't stretch after, although I probably should.

Bruce7

Black Belt
Reaction score
My experience from being a coach of varies sports is dynamic stretching before and static afterwards works best.
It is hard to get athletes to static stretch afterwards especially after a game. So I gave up trying to make them stretch after a game.
I learn from experience stretching the way I describe produce fewer injures.
I may be wrong I have no science to back that up, just experience.

My experience with Martial Arts. By making a ritual of static stretching ever night I was able to do the splits in comfort, it took 2 years and I was 18 years old. Since I quit Martial Arts in 1985 and quit my ritual. I will have to start all over again and it will probably will take well over 2 years given my age.

The Martial art class I am in now, we go straight to kicks and punches and then do static stretches. I am surprised, it seems to work will.

Danny T

Senior Master
Reaction score
Light warm up to get heart rate up slowly, get the joints moving, and to increase the respiration rate. This increases the body temperature and prespiration. Hence, ‘warm up’. Then light to moderate dynamic stretching using the movements and actions to be drilled heavily. Then do your workout. Cool down should be active and light. Finally complete your session and cool down with a good static stretching routine.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Light warm up to get heart rate up slowly, get the joints moving, and to increase the respiration rate. This increases the body temperature and prespiration. Hence, ‘warm up’. Then light to moderate dynamic stretching using the movements and actions to be drilled heavily. Then do your workout. Cool down should be active and light. Finally complete your session and cool down with a good static stretching routine.
Danny, what length of time do you normally commit to warm-up and dynamic stretching?

Bruce7

Black Belt
Reaction score
Sounds perfect.
Wish I could give you a thumbs up too.

D

Deleted member 39746

Its before as warm ups. Which i think is somewhat mandated by health exercise practice by any respectable sports/fitness organization. How ever i have seen people do various stretches and conditioning's before and during the TKD lesson. some even stretch before the start of it.

And it is usually, legs, arms, feet, hips and cardio warm up in general like running and push ups/situps. Some people blur the warm up stage with a honourary fitness stage.

edit: this is from memory of what i have done in TKD and the other places i have been, i have taken some of it when i do exercise from that, and i personally do a diffrent warm up routine. close to honourary exercise block actually most of the time. :p

OP
D

DrewTheTKDStudent1992

Yellow Belt
Reaction score

That’s some great advice.

I was wondering how to combine dynamic and static stretching, and you showed me it well.

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Danny, what length of time do you normally commit to warm-up and dynamic stretching?
I like 15-20 minutes before and 20-30 minutes after. Usually it varies on time available. Sometimes we will do the statics after sparring and before Poomsae since there is a little cool down with forms. Switch things up a little to keep them guessing.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I like 15-20 minutes before and 20-30 minutes after. Usually it varies on time available. Sometimes we will do the statics after sparring and before Poomsae since there is a little cool down with forms. Switch things up a little to keep them guessing.
I think most students I've had would revolt if I regularly spent 20-30 minutes on stretching at the end of class, or spent a total of more than a third of the 90-minute class on warm-up and stretching. This must be one of those areas where students self-select into what they are willing to do.

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I think most students I've had would revolt if I regularly spent 20-30 minutes on stretching at the end of class, or spent a total of more than a third of the 90-minute class on warm-up and stretching. This must be one of those areas where students self-select into what they are willing to do.
It is. Depending on the class makeup you can do dynamic stretching in conjunction with elemental practice. For example work on holding a particular technique in an extended position. Working with a partner speeds up dynamic stretching as well if time is an issue. Example, go 1-2 rounds of sparring then partner stretch, spar again, etc...

Latest Discussions