Stretches for hook kicks

EvanWinther

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Trying to get hook kicks higher. I have been putting my leg on top of something and leaning into it. Other approaches?

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's passive flexibility. You need to spend at least as much time on active flexibility, which relies heavily on core strength and balance.

WaterGal

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Stand with your left side next to a wall or bannister, and put your left hand on it to balance yourself. Pick up your right leg and do, oh, 10 or 20 hook kicks. Then do one side kick and hold it out for as long as you can. Switch sides and do the same thing on the other side.

Gwai Lo Dan

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Trying to get hook kicks higher. I have been putting my leg on top of something and leaning into it. Other approaches?
Side stretch on the floor : 2 legs out as far as possible, then sit down after and stretch to the 2 sides.

Gnarlie

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Side kick front split: left leg toes to the ceiling, right leg toes out to the side. Turn your upper body toward the right foot and stretch over the right leg. Feel the pinch between right ribs and right hip. Repeat this stretch standing using a wall for assistance and lifting a side kick.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk