Stress Test - We may not push ourselves hard enough

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Just had my stress test yesterday. I didn't realize that I should push my heart rate to 147 in my exercise. I asked my doctor whether or not I should push my heart rate to 147 daily. She said I should. After that daily test, if I don't feel chest pain, I'll be OK. If I do, I should let her know.

Apparently my daily MA training don't push me to that level. I may have to add "fast spring" into my daily training in order to achieve that. This make me think that most Taiji guys may never achieve 147 heart rate in their daily training. How will you be able to know if you don't have any heart problem if you don't make your heart to beat in that kind of fast speed 147? Normal resting heart rate ranges from 60 to 100 beats a minute.

What's your opinion on this?

Last edited:

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Just had my stress test yesterday. I didn't realize that I should push my heart beat to 147 in my exercise. I asked my doctor whether or not I should push my heart rate to 147 daily. She said I should. After that daily test, if I don't feel chest pain, I'll be OK. If I do, I should let her know.

Apparently my daily MA training don't push me to that level. I may have to add "fast spring" into my daily training in order to achieve that. This make me think that most Taiji guys may never achieve 147 heart beat in their daily training. How will you be able to know if you don't have any heart problem if you don't make your heart to beat in that kind of fast speed - 147?

147 isn't that high really, its ONLY 147 AS you are OLD, if you were younger 220 is more like the max, so that's 70 bpm down on a 25 yo. Any cardio training should easily get you heart up to 150, the hard part is not getting it higher, not reaching 150

by yourself a heart monitor, go for a,run, see how,scary high your heat rate is,,, stop worrying, throw monitor in bin, get on with life

Danny T

Senior Master
Reaction score
My resting heart rate is 48-50
At 63 I can still get my heart rate to 175 but I have to work extremely hard. My Target rate is 151

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
My resting heart rate is 48-50
At 63 I can still get my heart rate to 175 but I have to work extremely hard. My Target rate is 151
you can always get your heart beat right up there, the older you are the less exercise you need to do to get it up. the thing is you really shouldn't according to doctors, but what do they know

OP
Kung Fu Wang

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
People said that Taiji is good for old people's health. But you will never make your heart beat to 147 in your Taiji training. Have we been fooled by all Taiji instructors?

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
People said that Taiji is good for old people's health. But you will never make your heart beat to 147 in your Taiji training. Have we been fooled by all Taiji instructors?

Nah. That might be ideal for keeping your heart pushing what it can do but as long as you elevate your heart rate you can still be good.

What does taiji bring your heart rate to? And how old are you (just for comparison...147 on a 60 year old is very different than one on a 20 year old).

OP
Kung Fu Wang

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
What does taiji bring your heart rate to? And how old are you (just for comparison...147 on a 60 year old is very different than one on a 20 year old).
Taiji move almost doesn't change my heart rate at all. I have done 1000 XingYi Pi punches non-stop for 43 minutes. It doesn't increase my heart rate that much either. I'm sure just 50 long fist tornado kicks non-stop will make my heart to beat fast. I did Taiji when I was 7. I don't do much Taiji when I get older for the reason I have just stated. I'm 71.

IMO, to bring up heart rate:

jumping kick > kick > fast punch > slow Taiji move.

Last edited:

hoshin1600

Senior Master
Reaction score
My uncle had a major heart attack during his stress test at the age of 65. Never had one prior. It may have damaged his heart he died of a heart attack at home within a year after the stress test. I'm not looking forward to doing one.

OP
Kung Fu Wang

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
My uncle had a major heart attack during his stress test at the age of 65. Never had one prior. It may have damaged his heart he died of a heart attack at home within a year after the stress test. I'm not looking forward to doing one.
That's terrible! Did your uncle exercise daily? May be stress test daily is not a good idea after all.

Danny T

Senior Master
Reaction score
If your training is form only then most will not likely get 147.
The Tai Chi training I've had involved quite a bit of kicking, punching, kneeing drills that were quite intense.

OP
Kung Fu Wang

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
If your training is form only then most will not likely get 147.
The Tai Chi training I've had involved quite a bit of kicking, punching, kneeing drills that were quite intense.
The XingYi dragon can make your heart to beat fast in short amount of time.

Danny T

Senior Master
Reaction score
you can always get your heart beat right up there, the older you are the less exercise you need to do get it up. the thing is you really shouldn't according to doctors, but what do they know
I do a 10 - 3 minute rounds of high intensity muay thai workout 4 days a week. 30 second break between rounds. I have to work hard to get my heart rate to 175. I work to keep my workout heart rate at 155-160. According to my doc my max rate is 157.

OP
Kung Fu Wang

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I do a 10 - 3 minute rounds of high intensity muay thai workout 4 days a week. 30 second break between rounds. I have to work hard to get my heart rate to 175. I work to keep my workout heart rate at 155-160. According to my doc my max rate is 157.
May be I need to change my training. Lately I tried to coordinate my body move with my breathing. When I breath slow, I'll move slow. May be I should just move fast and force my breathing to be fast. If I feel too comfortable about my training, I may not push myself hard enough.

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
147 isn't that high really, its ONLY 147 AS you are OLD, if you were younger 220 is more like the max, so that's 70 bpm down on a 25 yo. Any cardio training should easily get you heart up to 150, the hard part is not getting it higher, not reaching 150

by yourself a heart monitor, go for a,run, see how,scary high your heat rate is,,, stop worrying, throw monitor in bin, get on with life
On paper, max heart rate is 220-age. So someone who’s 60 years old would be 220-60, which is 160 beats per minute.

That’s a guideline though. Some people can go higher, some should go lower. Everyone’s cardio health is different and everyone has different health factors. Using a max heart rate chart is like a BMI chart IMO; it’saccurate forge overall overall average but isn’t that accurate for every individual.

But absolutely, but a heart rate monitor for working out to maximize your efficiency and potential. Not all HR monitors are made equally. The ones that use lights on the wrist like Fitbit watches aren’t that accurate when your heart rate is elevated. The Polar chest strap is pretty much the universality accepted standard with people like exercise physiologists. They’re not as appealing though because people don’t find them as comfortable.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
this like most things is getting lost in defintion, if your doing 10x 3 then its not ( FOR YOU) high intensity. People can't do a minute at high intensity let alone 10X 3 minutes.

yes heart rate is related to hard work,but that's a product of fitness, there are lots of people our age who will be on the point of passing out if they have to climb 10 flights of stairs, i can do three times that at a faster pace, i haven't worked harder, its just my hard work takes me farther and faster

Last edited:

oftheherd1

Senior Master
Reaction score
this like most things is getting lost in defintion, if your doing 10x 3 then its not ( FOR YOU) high intensity. People can't do a minute at high intensity let alone 10X 3 minutes.

yes heart rate is related to hard work,but that's a product of fitness, there are lots of people our age who will be on the point of passing out if they have to climb 10 flights of stairs, i can do three times that at a faster pace, i haven't worked harder, its just my hard work takes me farther and faster

Ridiculous! I would be before 5 flights, with a ten minute rest at each landing. :eek: :D

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
May be I need to change my training. Lately I tried to coordinate my body move with my breathing. When I breath slow, I'll move slow. May be I should just move fast and force my breathing to be fast. If I feel too comfortable about my training, I may not push myself hard enough.
I'm not sure stress test your heart to see if you get chest pains is the wisest thing to do! You have no base line to make a judgment on, rule of thumb, if you are starting to have trouble taking over you increased respiration, then that's 70 % of max heart rate, which in your case will put your heart at about 140 beats a minute, i know nothing about your training but a fast ( up a moderate hill)walk will do that for most people. Blasting it up another 20 beats for say 30 seconds or so takes very little more effort
isometrics, ie slow but max intensity movement send you heart beat soaring, with out noticably increases you breathing, which is one of the benefits / dangers of isometrics and sounds close to what your doing?

If your going to take this,seriously, then there is no alternative to a monitor, then you actually have some idea what your getting now and what more you need to do.

i have cyclist friends who are obsessed with heart rate zones and to be honest it seems to take the fun out of things, but give it a try, they are reasonably cheap, if not particularly accurate

Last edited:

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Just had my stress test yesterday. I didn't realize that I should push my heart rate to 147 in my exercise. I asked my doctor whether or not I should push my heart rate to 147 daily. She said I should. After that daily test, if I don't feel chest pain, I'll be OK. If I do, I should let her know.

Apparently my daily MA training don't push me to that level. I may have to add "fast spring" into my daily training in order to achieve that. This make me think that most Taiji guys may never achieve 147 heart rate in their daily training. How will you be able to know if you don't have any heart problem if you don't make your heart to beat in that kind of fast speed 147? Normal resting heart rate ranges from 60 to 100 beats a minute.

I pretty much don't have to worry about that. My workout gets the heart rate going with no problem. The gasping for air, heavy breathing, and the feeling that I'm about to drop from being tired, gives me a pretty good indicator that my heart rate is up high enough.

When it comes to exercise, I try to have a good balance. Something for cardio, strength, and flexibility. I try not to stay in one box. Over all I listen to my body and how it is reacting to stress. Some days I can push it and other days, my body lets me know that I should go at a slower pace.

Danny T

Senior Master
Reaction score

I am doing high intensity 75-85%, Not MAX intensity. When doing Max intensity or anaerobic workouts it is cycled 15 seconds on Max intensity, 45 seconds low intensity like just walking, boxer bouncing, or maybe squats. These Max intensity or anaerobic workouts are for 20 rounds. Even then I have a difficult time getting my heart rate to and staying at 175.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I am doing high intensity 75-85%, Not MAX intensity. When doing Max intensity or anaerobic workouts it is cycled 15 seconds on Max intensity, 45 seconds low intensity like just walking, boxer bouncing, or maybe squats. These Max intensity or anaerobic workouts are for 20 rounds. Even then I have a difficult time getting my heart rate to and staying at 175.
well that a comparative statement, its only HIGH in comparison with a lower intensify work out, 75% isn't high by any normal use of he word HIGH, its medium, particulary as you seem to be using the age related max rather than the actual max. 75% of 85% is not by any defintion high.

Latest Discussions