Strength vs Technique

Grasshopper22

Orange Belt
Reaction score
It depends on the extent. If the strength and the technique are of the same level, then technique. However, if you had someone who was ridiculously strong versus someone who had a reasonably low level of technique, then strength would win. Overall I'd say technique.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
The less skill you have, the more strength matters. But once you enter the world of great grapplers....good luck, Hercules. You gonna need it, fella.

Kwan Jang

Purple Belt
Reaction score
When you enter the world of great grapplers, EVERYBODY has great technique and strength and conditioning is usually what does make the difference. Since I made my last post on this thread, I've fought in the Super Heavyweight division of two World Jiu-Jitsu championships (No-Gi, two different years). One I came in much physically stronger than the next due to my strength training being effected by injuries. In 2011, I was a better technician and had better cardio than in 2010, but was not nearly as physically strong. I was amazed at how MUCH of a difference it made in my performance. I took home medals from both years and won my pre-lim matches, but the level of competition was actually much tougher in 2010, but I wasn't at the same level, strength-wise and it was a huge difference. My takedowns were stuffed, I lacked the control over my opponents, ect. I even got my elbow snapped trying to escape a keylock (shoulder lock).

StreetReady

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Technique is always important when it comes to finishing a submission. You can't finish if you don't have the right technique. Likewise, I've seen a lot of people escape submissions using brute strength. They just seem to muscle out of a technique. However, if the technique is done properly, it's hard to muscle out of it.

legattacks

White Belt
Reaction score
Hey all,
Just posing a question for the grapplers out there.
Do you think strength wins over technique or vice versa?
If so, then why?

My brother asked me this and I thought it was a fair question but wasn't sure of what my answer should be.

Thanks folks.[/QUOTE

Grappling is physical, so strength and technique are both important. It normally comes down to how much the strength or skill someone has outweighs their opponent. For example if you have two people with the same skill level but one is 2x stronger the stronger person would most likely win. I hope that helps!!!!

Latest Discussions