Street Jitsu! Punch Block Series for Self Defense

Juany118

Senior Master
Reaction score
Has nothing to do with the level of your ability vs theirs if they are not really fighting you.

They are always really fighting you. They don't think "omg" he's got a gun and if I fight too hard he will shoot me.". They think "omg I don't want to go to jail" and the stats show that. Hell they will say as they stand off with you "what are you gonna shoot me?!? Do it!"

Again you are confusing myth with reality.

Last edited:

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
They are always really fighting you. They don't think "omg" he's got a gun and if I fight too hard he will shoot me.". They think "omg I don't want to go to jail" and the stats show that. Hell they will say as they stand off with you "what are you to do shoot me?!?"

Again you are confusing myth with reality.

Precisely what was discussed on that defense against a cop thread is that your priorities are don't get shot and don't go to jail.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
How do you know the right level of fitness to settle for?
It's a judgement call. We have to draw the line somewhere. If we don't it's a binary choice: couch potato or world-class athlete. I've judged that folks training for self-defense should have better-than-average fitness. Some students don't really even see the need for that - settling for average fitness - and that's their call to make as adults. I prefer to push a bit further, and I'm not even sure that decision is part of my self-defense/martial arts thought process - I just like being that fit.

Juany118

Senior Master
Reaction score
Precisely what was discussed on that defense against a cop thread is that your priorities are don't get shot and don't go to jail.

And so much of that thread had no connection with the over all reality because the people posting there got their "experience" from a headline and youtube. Look at those isolated incidents in the face of almost 800,000 uniformed police in the US. Then you see just how much of a wasted exercise that thread was.

Long story short, the vast majority of criminals don't even think about the fact the cop has a gun. If they did fear that there would be no such thing as resisting arrest. The magic wand would have every crook stop the minute a cop shows up. Hell I have pointed a taser at sober angry suspects, when I had time to draw it, told them I was going to tase them, and I was still forced by their actions to deploy it because of the culture they live in. Its a sad culture, where I work. I will explain why I say that in a moment. Where I work it is a high crime area where there is a culture on the street that says "if you just threaten force its a bluff" and they call it because if you meant to use force you would have just done it. So the gun doesn't matter, sometimes even when it is drawn and aimed. Where I grew up however is a "bedroom community" vs a high crime community. There mere officer presence, tools and all, usually causes an immediate deescalation with some rare exceptions.

They don't want to go to jail yes, but they will beat the living crap out of a cop to make that happen. The stats I posted regarding assaults against, and documented injuries to, LEOs in the US make my point for me, even if you want to avoid the stats because it is inconvenient to your narrative because your narrative doesn't address the high-crime vs bedroom community issue, nor the fact that a majority of physically violent incident incidents involve the suspect being under the influence of drugs or alcohol (where they aren't thinking straight period) etc.

Juany118

Senior Master
Reaction score
It's a judgement call. We have to draw the line somewhere. If we don't it's a binary choice: couch potato or world-class athlete. I've judged that folks training for self-defense should have better-than-average fitness. Some students don't really even see the need for that - settling for average fitness - and that's their call to make as adults. I prefer to push a bit further, and I'm not even sure that decision is part of my self-defense/martial arts thought process - I just like being that fit.

And this is where I think full sparring, even for just a couple 30 to 60 second rounds, can encourage people to be "above average". At the end of such spars, if your fitness is average or lower, you can be hating life and it is a decent incentive to encourage a bit of working out on the side.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I have never heard anybody finish a fight wishing they had less cardio.

People will make compromises on their own ability to fight depending on how important fighting success is.

Because I am not likley to get in a fight I have sleep ins and eat pizza. If i was likley to get in a fight. I would be getting fitter.

This is in essence what you are both trying to say exept jojo is trying to drive home that there is no excuse for not being properly prepared. And you are trying to dive home that there are excuses.

It depends how seriously you are taking a potential altercation.
Ive only read one half of the conversation on this thread as I have the other half on ignore, but I feel like this is important to respond to.

I'm going to imagine that I'm the attacker in this scenario. If I was, my main focus would be on appearing threatening and having a weapon on me (this assumption is supported by the people I work with who mugged people in the past). In that case, the weapon is a lot more important than cardio. Against that attacker, the most important thing would be appearing confident, and having the sense to back up. Fighting skill, fitness, and anything else beyond that first moment is secondary. If you appear able to cause them issues, they'll just wait for someone else (again, based on what I've heard from the muggers/attackers).

So, based on that, if your goal is self-defense, feel free to sleep in and have pizza. What you need to learn is a: humility enough to give the mugger your wallet if asked, b: self defense enough to escape the situation without harm, for a few moments, and c: cardio enough to get to a public area before they change their mind.

only C requires a level of fitness, and in reality youd be better earning that by joining a track club and practicing sprints then going to martial arts class. so I'm more than comfortable ordering pizza and sleeping in than being concerned that someone will attack me.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
And so much of that thread had no connection with the over all reality because the people posting there got their "experience" from a headline and youtube. Look at those isolated incidents in the face of almost 800,000 uniformed police in the US. Then you see just how much of a wasted exercise that thread was.

Long story short, the vast majority of criminals don't even think about the fact the cop has a gun. If they did fear that there would be no such thing as resisting arrest. The magic wand would have every crook stop the minute a cop shows up. Hell I have pointed a taser at sober angry suspects, when I had time to draw it, told them I was going to tase them, and I was still forced by their actions to deploy it because of the culture they live in. Its a sad culture, where I work. I will explain why I say that in a moment. Where I work it is a high crime area where there is a culture on the street that says "if you just threaten force its a bluff" and they call it because if you meant to use force you would have just done it. So the gun doesn't matter, sometimes even when it is drawn and aimed. Where I grew up however is a "bedroom community" vs a high crime community. There mere officer presence, tools and all, usually causes an immediate deescalation with some rare exceptions.

They don't want to go to jail yes, but they will beat the living crap out of a cop to make that happen. The stats I posted regarding assaults against, and documented injuries to, LEOs in the US make my point for me, even if you want to avoid the stats because it is inconvenient to your narrative because your narrative doesn't address the high-crime vs bedroom community issue, nor the fact that a majority of physically violent incident incidents involve the suspect being under the influence of drugs or alcohol (where they aren't thinking straight period) etc.

You are welcome to believe it is your skill set alone that wins you fights if you want.

The stats are not relevant in this case.

Latest Discussions