Street Jitsu! Punch Block Series for Self Defense

Midnight-shadow

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Thanks for the critique. I would love to see an example. However, as a general rule for myself, when the opportunity exists, I prefer to step into and "enter" as opposed to stepping back to block a punch. If the opportunity to enter isn't there, then I will either "pull" myself out of range, or just cover to protect from the punch. -FH-

It's similar to this:

maxresdefault.jpg

Except when we do it we turn more to the side where the punch is coming from, and the other hand is usually kept in a guard position or strikes as you block. Of course, using both arms to block gives you better control of the arm, but leaves you open to follow-up attacks.

CB Jones

Senior Master
Reaction score
That's the problem, if b does this a does this to infinity, I am talking about the one sequence he showed is flawed that is not considering the other arm strike, but but but he could do...ya and the other guy can do.....and so on and so on just proved the point technique is f l a w

Everything has a counter....that doesn't mean it is flawed.

But with proper timing and quickness it works good.

Last edited by a moderator:

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I see. That makes sense and now that I watch the video again (I first watched it on my phone so didn't see too much) I see what you mean. I'd probably still go for the wrist as I've been taught since it allows you to block with 1 hand, leaving the other hand free to guard or strike at the same time.
I teach both types of blocks. This one is good when you end up closer than you expected, get caught flat-footed, or just want to get in to clinch.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Depends on how you're defining self defense. Doesn't it?
It does. Problem is, his definition used to include physical defense, and his complaint was that others (like me) didn't include other material in that definition. Since pretty much everyone I've ever met includes physical defense in the discussion of self-defense, it's a bit odd to complain when someone posts something about physical defense under "self-defense".

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
It does. Problem is, his definition used to include physical defense, and his complaint was that others (like me) didn't include other material in that definition. Since pretty much everyone I've ever met includes physical defense in the discussion of self-defense, it's a bit odd to complain when someone posts something about physical defense under "self-defense".
Agreed. I actually agree with and like Paul d's definition of self defence... At least this one. I don't know about the history of it.

But it does highlight the problems with the fluidity of the term.

CB Jones

Senior Master
Reaction score
To me self defense is the knowledge and/or use of techniques to defend oneself against a physical attack. De-escalation, conflict resolution, etc... are aspects of human interaction we practice so that we do not have to use self defense.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
When I first started LEO we were taught to grab the wrist and get control. Everything was grab the wrist and transition into what ever technique you were going to use.

Now we target the upper arm and shoulder much like how he shows... much easier and safer to gain control.

I was speaking to a cop who trains with us. He thinks none of his police human weapon training really works. That was my impression when I saw it. Of course that is Australia and police have less authority to escalate.

Otherwise though from a technical level. Are you stopping punches like that?

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
This is just a tool or technique for your toolbox. Yes they do work, and in many different scenarios. I have used each of these, armlock, shoulder crank, and arm drag successfully against fighting / resisting opponents.
If you watch the video again, I state that I like to teach these first from a standing position. This is because its easier for a beginner to learn them when they are comfortable. Once they thoroughly understand the technique and it's technical aspects, it's just a matter of looking for the opportunity to apply them in a live / sparring situation.
Everything I teach is MMA related and must be able to work in a live situation or I won't bother with. Check out my YouTube channel: FightHACKS for more videos.

So is there an example of this working in a MMA fight?

Actually I might facebook it and ask my guys.

It is just i could basically never pull moves like that off against anybody even semi decent.

OP
FightHACKS

FightHACKS

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I was speaking to a cop who trains with us. He thinks none of his police human weapon training really works. That was my impression when I saw it. Of course that is Australia and police have less authority to escalate.

Yes, it's a commonly taught and effective way to enter your attackers space. The technique itself is a double empty hand block. Another option is to cover your head (bring both hands up to block your head, think helmet) and "crash" into the attacker stopping their momentum and closing the distance to clinch. From the clinch you can control, strike (elbows, knees) or take down. As an LEO, remember, your preferred position should be with the subject on the ground, and you on your feet (if working alone). If working with a partner, then you or your partner can control the subject on the ground (Face down stabilization) while the other provides cover.

FYI - I was Program Manager fof Defensive Tactics / Legal Considerations at a Federal Law Enforcement Academy.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Agreed. I actually agree with and like Paul d's definition of self defence... At least this one. I don't know about the history of it.

Nah. It is the old what if they have a knife. Or what if there is multiple oponants tripe.

It is not all of self defence. Doesn't invalidate it from self defence.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Yes, it's a commonly taught and effective way to enter your attackers space. The technique itself is a double empty hand block. Another option is to cover your head (bring both hands up to block your head, think helmet) and "crash" into the attacker stopping their momentum and closing the distance to clinch. From the clinch you can control, strike (elbows, knees) or take down. As an LEO, remember, your preferred position should be with the subject on the ground, and you on your feet (if working alone). If working with a partner, then you or your partner can control the subject on the ground (Face down stabilization) while the other provides cover.

FYI - I was Program Manager fof Defensive Tactics / Legal Considerations at a Federal Law Enforcement Academy.

I have scored the overhook before. Never got the arm bar. I pretty much dont do standing arm bars that way though. I go through the process of good clinching arm drag and then two on one. Because I can do it to guys and guys can do it to me.

I am more inclined to hit things like a beef wellington than something that puts me in front of a guy like that fighting for control.

So. Example of it working?

Last edited:
OP
FightHACKS

FightHACKS

Yellow Belt
Reaction score

It is just i could basically never pull moves like that off against anybody even semi decent.

Shoulder lock - second technique in the sequence.

Arm Drag to Back - Third technique in series, videos are not in a live fight, but technique is very common in combat sports.

Straight Arm Lock - Can't find any video on YouTube, but I myself have hit it many times oner the years in live rolls and live MMA sparring. not from the standing position, but grappling when opponent place their hands on the the ground while inside my guard.

All three techniques are legit and work in different positions. As stated before, I teach them to beginners from the standing position to help them better understand the technical aspects of the techniques.

OP
FightHACKS

FightHACKS

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I have scored the overhook before. Never got the arm bar. I pretty much dont do standing arm bars that way though. I go through the process of good clinching arm drag and then two on one. Because I can do it to guys and guys can do it to me.

I am more inclined to hit things like a beef wellington than something that puts me in front of a guy like that fighting for control.

It's a legit move, but i've found that at least for me, swimming an underhook off of a punch block wasn't natural. Since you're usually blocking with your forearms, your hands are above your opponents, which usually leads to an overhook.

Now in a clinch, I'll work for an underhook and head position, but directly off a punch block, the over is what I usually end up with.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score

Yeah I go overhook head control from there. Fight an armlock on from safety.

CB Jones

Senior Master
Reaction score

Yes, it allows you to knock them a little off balance and puts you in position for a take down and handcuffing......also realize typically you are putting hands on someone with little to no training.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

So, you prefer that "self-defense" excludes anything physical? What do you call the physical techniques for defending oneself, then? I don't even know how to describe them in a way that doesn't include "defend" and "self".

Or are you talking about his usual usage? I have no problem with that usage - it's probably more common than my own. I simply divide the actual physical defense from the attack ("self-defense") from the prevention of the attack ("self-protection"), to make the distinction clear. But when someone uses the term "self-defense", I usually assume they're using a definition similar to Paul's.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes, it allows you to knock them a little off balance and puts you in position for a take down and handcuffing......also realize typically you are putting hands on someone with little to no training.
There's also a brachial stun handy, with a small adjustment of one arm. An instructor I know who is former LEO and has taught DT for 3 different states (as he moved) teaches this as a basic entry.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
To me self defense is the knowledge and/or use of techniques to defend oneself against a physical attack. De-escalation, conflict resolution, etc... are aspects of human interaction we practice so that we do not have to use self defense.
This is the same distinction I draw. I think it's probably not the most common view, but they are very different skill sets, so I prefer to use different terms for them.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I like this, but it's something that's easy to prevent from the beginning if you're reasonably familiar with it. It works on new students, and on folks who don't learn fast. After a while, though, it's going to be a rare find.