Street Fighter vs Martial Artist - if both have 10 yrs exp, who will win?

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Because of course there are no other countries on our planet other than the USA. We all live there and we all have access to guns.
That guns are less available elsewhere doesn't alter the accuracy of the response. A gun is just as effective in the UK as in the US, if less available.

marques

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
What did they do over that 10 years?

After 10 years fighting (twice a week?) on the streets, the "street fighter" would be all broken, blind and beaten by any grandpa. :) Training MA (twice a week?) is generally healthier... ;)

Kong Soo Do

IKSDA Director
Supporting Member
Reaction score
One of my training partners and I were debating today about who would win in a NHB contest between a veteran street fighter and a veteran martial artist, if both contestants have 10 years of experience. I say the street fighter will win. My brother over here says the martial artist will win. What are your thoughts?

He who gets there first with the most wins.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
picture of two kissing lesbians (way to present yourself on the internet in full view of children and minors btw- some professional you are lol), just because a martial artist has no style it does not mean they suck.

That wins the prize for the funniest sentence this month! You are saying lesbians suck? How delightful! I may turn lesbian.

Why shouldn't children and minors even ( same thing surely) see people kissing? Are you so very prudish? people kiss, get over it. I find it quite fun myself.

Do you mean martial artists who have no style as in they are scruffy, old fashioned and generally deshabille?

TSDTexan

Master of Arts
Reaction score
That wins the prize for the funniest sentence this month! You are saying lesbians suck? How delightful! I may turn lesbian.

Why shouldn't children and minors even ( same thing surely) see people kissing? Are you so very prudish? people kiss, get over it. I find it quite fun myself.

Do you mean martial artists who have no style as in they are scruffy, old fashioned and generally deshabille?

Back to the real topic.
My gut says Logan the street fighter beats the martial artist Silver Samurai

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
That guns are less available elsewhere doesn't alter the accuracy of the response. A gun is just as effective in the UK as in the US, if less available.

Not in practical terms. Because there are not that many guns the police can dedicate a lot more resources to catching the people misusing them.

So you don't deal with patrol cops where guns are involved. You are more likely to get a task force.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not in practical terms. Because there are not that many guns the police can dedicate a lot more resources to catching the people misusing them.

So you don't deal with patrol cops where guns are involved. You are more likely to get a task force.
Okay, but that would all happen after the point of that post, where one guy pulled the gun on the other. Thus, those things don't change the effectiveness of the gun in that situation, rather the ramifications of having used it and the likelihood of being caught.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Okay, but that would all happen after the point of that post, where one guy pulled the gun on the other. Thus, those things don't change the effectiveness of the gun in that situation, rather the ramifications of having used it and the likelihood of being caught.

Getting away with shooting someone is a big factor. It is not effective if you do jail afterwards.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Getting away with shooting someone is a big factor. It is not effective if you do jail afterwards.
Okay, if we're going to include the aftermath, fair enough. I was speaking purely of the effectiveness of the weapon, not the long-term effectiveness of the strategy.

Ironbear24

Senior Master
Reaction score
What I would really want to know is what the hell exactly is a street fighter and how could they have 10 years of experience? Are these people going out fighting in the streets 3 days a week for a couple hours?

Like how in the world does someone like that not killed or thrown in prison? Can someone please answer this because I hear this term street fighter all the time.

As far as I know the only "Street fighter" I've ever known is a popular video game that deputed 1987 and is currently still going strong.

Sami Ibrahim

Green Belt
Reaction score
If your making the division between a "street fighter" and a "martial artist" am I safe to assume that the street fighter has experience fighting for his life in the urban jungle and the martial artist has experience performing his art but not actual fighting experience in the urban jungle because you would have otherwise not have differentiated them in this manner? If that is the case the odds favor the one with more experience but because of the chaotic nature of real violence, either or both could end up dead, for example they fall onto train tracks as the train is pulling up.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
What I would really want to know is what the hell exactly is a street fighter and how could they have 10 years of experience? Are these people going out fighting in the streets 3 days a week for a couple hours?

Like how in the world does someone like that not killed or thrown in prison? Can someone please answer this because I hear this term street fighter all the time.

As far as I know the only "Street fighter" I've ever known is a popular video game that deputed 1987 and is currently still going strong.

We absolutely have sections of the community where that behavior happens.

And yes. Don't live there. Don't even stop for too long

Andrew Green

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
One of my training partners and I were debating today about who would win in a NHB contest between a veteran street fighter and a veteran martial artist, if both contestants have 10 years of experience. I say the street fighter will win. My brother over here says the martial artist will win. What are your thoughts?

The basic idea is that the martial arts are "broken" and not functional in a practical sense.

There is something to this, there are a lot of martial artists with 10+ years training that can't function under full contact conditions in sparring, let alone a "real" fight.

Even within the same "style", you can go to a karate school and find guys that focus on traditional forms and one steps, do non-contact sparring once or twice a month for 10-15 mins and turn away after a solid hit to the face. You can go across the street to a different karate school and find full contact fighters that hit like trucks and won't stop coming forward unless you manage to KO them.

But all that's fine, people train for different reasons.

The only thing wrong with the martial arts is when your training methods don't match up to the goals you are trying to achieve.

It's like anything else. Look at weight training, there is a whole range from body building for aesthetic reasons only, to competitive power lifting, Olympic lifting, functional training for sports all the way to aerobics classes using 3lbs dumbbells. They all use very different methods and get very different results. Not everyone in the martial arts cares about being able to actually fight.

TSDTexan

Master of Arts
Reaction score
The basic idea is that the martial arts are "broken" and not functional in a practical sense.

There is something to this, there are a lot of martial artists with 10+ years training that can't function under full contact conditions in sparring, let alone a "real" fight.

Even within the same "style", you can go to a karate school and find guys that focus on traditional forms and one steps, do non-contact sparring once or twice a month for 10-15 mins and turn away after a solid hit to the face. You can go across the street to a different karate school and find full contact fighters that hit like trucks and won't stop coming forward unless you manage to KO them.

But all that's fine, people train for different reasons.

The only thing wrong with the martial arts is when your training methods don't match up to the goals you are trying to achieve.

It's like anything else. Look at weight training, there is a whole range from body building for aesthetic reasons only, to competitive power lifting, Olympic lifting, functional training for sports all the way to aerobics classes using 3lbs dumbbells. They all use very different methods and get very different results. Not everyone in the martial arts cares about being able to actually fight.

Choki Motobu only has one thing to say about that. He seems pretty absolute in his position.

20170501_085344.jpg

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Choki Motobu only has one thing to say about that. He seems pretty absolute in his position.

View attachment 20638
Even discounting the hyperbole, this statement invalidates most of the martial arts styles on this forum. What's really interesting to me is that which styles are effective for self defense and which are not is a question that is entirely subjective, and which cannot be answered definitively for many reasons. You will get a completely different list from different people.

Latest Discussions