Street Fighter vs Martial Artist - if both have 10 yrs exp, who will win?

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
One of my training partners and I were debating today about who would win in a NHB contest between a veteran street fighter and a veteran martial artist, if both contestants have 10 years of experience. I say the street fighter will win. My brother over here says the martial artist will win. What are your thoughts?

I can't answer that question, but if had a street fighter clone of myself, then I think the martial artist version of me would win. Here's why. My mentality in terms of fighting would be exactly the same as the street fighter clone of myself. Both versions of me would be dirty fighters and if there's an opportunity to hurt the other both would take it. Without the martial arts it's going to be luck that wins. Skill would play a major part of turning into a stalemate. Now I think of one of the fighter also having martial arts skills and now there is a likely winner, the martial artist. The martial artist version of me is not only a dirty fighter but he's also cunning and tricky. He doesn't rely on brute force to deliver power and he knows how to fight with the skills that he gained in martial arts.

Before I took kung fu, when I was in my 20's I thought I was a bad azz. I was in good shape, really quick, had a good punch and backed down from no one.

Now I'm an "old war dog" type of guy. I'm tough, I've seen some things in life that make me sick and I have less tolerance for nonsense than I did when I was younger. When I was younger I like that people thought I was a tough guy. Now I could care less because "I don't play for street cred. (credit)" My bones are harder from training and that includes my knuckles. I not only know how to punch, but I also know how to punch in a way that the punches land on vital areas. I understand more about body mechanics, movement, and human behavior than I did when I was 20.

If I was 20 then I would benefit from having the knowledge, conditioning, and training that I have now in a 20 year old body that's faster and can heal from damage faster than my 44 year old body.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
It hasn't, it just becomes tiresome listening to Americans talk as if they are the only country on the planet.
USA. USA. USA. USA. USA. .. We know we aren't the only country on the planet, we are just the only one that counts. USA! USA! USA! USA!.

Because the first 10 seconds says it all

CB Jones

Senior Master
Reaction score
But who would win in a royal rumble style death match between street fighter clones of all the Martial Talk Posters vs the 1985 Chicago Bears Roster?

tim-and-eric-mind-blown.gif

Tames D

RECKLESS
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Is the martial artist in this example not trained for the street? Not trained to fight? Is he a tournament player? A forms competitor? A black belt with a lot of red stripes and trophies? Need more info.
TSDTexan: you disagreed with this post. You disagree that I ask questions, or that I need more information?

Tames D

RECKLESS
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Notice how Oaktree throws subtle messages into his posts, deliberately insulting me and my training partners whilst masking his indirect (and shady- perhaps even cowardly) comments behind a wall of statements to make it appear on-topic, within bounds and completely harmless. This is yet another "indirect" attempt to annoy me ever-so-slightly until I get angry and finally decide I've had enough. Oaktree is intentionally trying to push my buttons in order to get me banned for lashing out, even if I lash out in self-defense (lol). That is a very sneaky way to be towards people, so I don't trust anything or believe anything Oaktree says on this forum. In fact I'm beginning to wonder if he's even a martial artist (lol). Mister Oaktree or whoever you are hiding behind that ridiculous picture of two kissing lesbians (way to present yourself on the internet in full view of children and minors btw- some professional you are lol), just because a martial artist has no style it does not mean they suck. Many great fighters in MA history claimed to have no style, and I'm willing to wager that every single one of them didn't suck as bad as you suck, so please don't be rude or disrespectful, as I too have no style. Also, having no style doesn't make you deluded. Being stuck to a style makes you deluded. Want proof? Watch the UFC (mhm, I rest my case). Third and finally, have you ever watched European LARP videos? Hell, they train harder than you and their larping is even more realistic (lol). But I digress. You're not even worth it. Sorry to be so frank. Maybe you'd prefer me to stick to my 'fortune cookie' speak instead. Lolololol
Don't take it personal, that's just what he does.

OP
Mou Meng Gung Fu

Mou Meng Gung Fu

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I can't answer that question, but if had a street fighter clone of myself, then I think the martial artist version of me would win. Here's why. My mentality in terms of fighting would be exactly the same as the street fighter clone of myself. Both versions of me would be dirty fighters and if there's an opportunity to hurt the other both would take it. Without the martial arts it's going to be luck that wins. Skill would play a major part of turning into a stalemate. Now I think of one of the fighter also having martial arts skills and now there is a likely winner, the martial artist. The martial artist version of me is not only a dirty fighter but he's also cunning and tricky. He doesn't rely on brute force to deliver power and he knows how to fight with the skills that he gained in martial arts.

Before I took kung fu, when I was in my 20's I thought I was a bad azz. I was in good shape, really quick, had a good punch and backed down from no one.

Now I'm an "old war dog" type of guy. I'm tough, I've seen some things in life that make me sick and I have less tolerance for nonsense than I did when I was younger. When I was younger I like that people thought I was a tough guy. Now I could care less because "I don't play for street cred. (credit)" My bones are harder from training and that includes my knuckles. I not only know how to punch, but I also know how to punch in a way that the punches land on vital areas. I understand more about body mechanics, movement, and human behavior than I did when I was 20.

If I was 20 then I would benefit from having the knowledge, conditioning, and training that I have now in a 20 year old body that's faster and can heal from damage faster than my 44 year old body.

Thank you for your honest opinion. In my opinion, you are probably one of the best martial artists I have met on this forum. In all seriousness, thank you for your insight. You honestly have a sincere passion for what you practice, and I respect that. I am brother Wei Wu, and it is an honor to meet you. Thank you again for your perspective. :)

TSDTexan

Master of Arts
Reaction score
TSDTexan: you disagreed with this post. You disagree that I ask questions, or that I need more information?

I meant to hit the "agree" button. On my smartphone it is one MM away from the disagree button. So I often hit disagree by accident. I did not not catch it this time.

Thankfully, you pointed it out.
This incorrect button push has been rectified, and now reflects my intended button selection.

Also, a deposit of 2000.00 internets
Has been deposited into your account.

Last edited:

FriedRice

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
One of my training partners and I were debating today about who would win in a NHB contest between a veteran street fighter and a veteran martial artist, if both contestants have 10 years of experience. I say the street fighter will win. My brother over here says the martial artist will win. What are your thoughts?

With all things being equal, such as size, weight, endurance, etc...it still would be difficult to say. This 10 year trained Martial Artist.....what kind of MA(s) is it. This matters a lot. Does he fight in full contact tournaments such as Muay Thai, MMA, etc? If he doesn't, then does he spar often and sometimes spars hard for full KO's? Not full KO's all the time, but often enough.....these would be called "Gym Warriors" and they can fight. Many MA'ists are horrible and can't fight. Nothing wrong with training MA for exercise only, health, Asian fetishes enlightenment, etc. though...I have nothing against this. Just that they shouldn't claim how deadly they are.

While the Street Fighter can mean many things. Does he fights once a week or more? Once a month? Once a week = 520 fights in 10 years. Some street fights are like....2 dudes argue, then scream and yell....then 1 guy throws a sloppy punch and lands,....the guy that got hit, holds his nose in disbelief and it ends. Some counts this as 1 of their street fights. Say a Gym Warrior spars hard for KO's once a month...but that's 2-3 minute rounds and like 2-4 rounds....that's usually a lot more time hitting someone at full power than a Streetfighter. This is not even including his time sparring light and medium.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Ok. lets consider this for an idea.

If fighting above all else produced the best fighters. That is all the most successful guys would ever do.

You basically wouldn't see martial arts being used.

Jenna

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
There are community in which what you commonly call street fighting do occur.. is not regular.. is happen as a result of turf disputes and often things that rest of us might deem petty.. still it does happen.. I would only have one observation to add is that these men who engage as part of their hierarchy and social organising are brutally brutally hard.. compared to martial artists in my experience they have far less feeling for their opponent, far further elevated on any presumed scale of psychopathy.. I do not know how that would potentially tip any balance except I believe there is perverse advantage in a fighter who literally do not give a single xxxx for what damage he inflict on you or even have inflicted on his self..

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
There are community in which what you commonly call street fighting do occur.. is not regular.. is happen as a result of turf disputes and often things that rest of us might deem petty.. still it does happen.. I would only have one observation to add is that these men who engage as part of their hierarchy and social organising are brutally brutally hard.. compared to martial artists in my experience they have far less feeling for their opponent, far further elevated on any presumed scale of psychopathy.. I do not know how that would potentially tip any balance except I believe there is perverse advantage in a fighter who literally do not give a single xxxx for what damage he inflict on you or even have inflicted on his self..

I dont think there are that many people who dont care about damage inflicted to themselves.

That is a pretty tall order to overcome.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Another thing here is if someone's been street fighting for 10 years it's more than likely there body is seriously screwed up

there would be an issue with the talent pool you are fighting as well.

How good are these guys you are street fighting?

We can look at guys like Bob Jones for example. I wouldnt suggest the guy was very technical.

Jenna

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I dont think there are that many people who dont care about damage inflicted to themselves.

That is a pretty tall order to overcome.
I do not know for sure.. I am only speak of these people I have work with.. winning is the sole thing.. I am not in their head so I cannot say how they are disingenuous and but among their attributes is often elevated level of self loathing, of disregard for safety, lack of empathy.. score on PCL-R for psychopathy.. what is tall order for you or every day martial artist cannot be adopted as universal measure..

thing is though.. fighting generally occur within the community.. so normal every day people are generally buffered from this any way..

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hmmm... Well...

We were suggesting completely even odds. Same height, same weight, same cholesterol balance, same age, same reach, same blood type, same fitness, same last names, same everything (lol). Both are veterans. One of them is a street fighter. One of them is a martial artist. Both of them (whether coached or not) have learned to capitalize on the precision, power and overall effectiveness of their skills through years of experience. Neither one of them has a style, nor believes in the notion of styles. So who will win?
Whichever one excels in more of these: trained harder, is more realistic in their training, trained more often, understands the context better, has better technique (hits harder, faster, with more precision), has more options, defends better against the other's initial approach, gets luckier, etc.

There are really too many variables left un-controlled. If we talk about an "average" martial artist and an "average" street fighter, probably the street fighter. If he's still fighting on the street after 10 years, he's probably good. The average martial artist won't have had a single "win or be seriously injured" fight in that 10 years, even the competitors.

Latest Discussions