Street 101

G

Gaidheal

ThatWasAKick said:
No sweat, kenpotex. I haven't a clue what gh just said, either. I was just throwing out words to see what kind of a response I'd get - sort of like babbling in first grade French to a Frenchman.
Tu parles le Français? ;¬)

John

T

ThatWasAKick

Non, Monsieur, je suis desolee, je ne parle pas Français. :ultracool

G

Gaidheal

Ça ne fait rien.

Anyway.. wasn't there some question I was going to post a reply to... (busy looking at 10mm handguns atm) I'll review the thread and post whatever it was I promised later today. Just checked my email and got a smile out of your reply is all ;¬)

John

G

Gaidheal

So who is the Street Predator? The answer is "anyone", but the average inmate housed in the Canadian Correctional system for violent crimes is:

- male between the ages of 15-24 years
- 5’9" - 6’0" tall
- 175 – 190 lbs​
Ok, my problem with this one is that it is implying that because that is a typical violent crime convict it must be the typical violent criminal. Sadly, courts are very heavily biased. Very few women are ever convicted of violent crimes, even fewer of serious violent crimes. This is a lot to do with the fact they do commit fewer, but it is a lot more to do with the perception that they don't commit such crimes and are even somehow genetically programmed not to. This is of course total bollocks - any such predisposition is cultural and it is often not present. Why so young then? Well, basically because more experienced criminals just don't get caught. Violent professionals are usually 30+ and even if apprehended are well acquainted with the system and so much more likely to get out of a conviction at some stage. Here in the UK chances are that CPS (Crown Prosecution Service - think State Prosecutor) drops the charges because they cannot get enough evidence after he and all his mates have intimidated any additional witnesses. The height and weights are simply likely averages - for those who think it's tall, I am considered average height now, at 6'

I am not going to dissect it further as I hope I have made point that it is not actually demonstrating what it implies.

The professional street predator is someone who I like to identify as the serial mugger, serial rapist, serial killer.
Why? Based on what? Most rapists don't operate on the streets, in fact most are related to their victims. Serial killers rarely operate on the streets and again victims are often related or already acquainted with the killer even in serial killings, though equally many serial killers target total strangers. They don't tend to 'cruise the streets' though.

These beasts usually attack for profit and not because they want to fight. These animals are a little harder to identify as they merge into society quite well and usually prey upon targets that have "no" situational awareness.
Where is the profit in rape or killing? Doesn't hold. But for the street mugger this makes a lot of sense and is true. Also works for gangs and similar - i.e. they do target people with 'zero SA' and they are usually good at 'hanging around' without drawing too much attention.

Alcohol and Drugs:
- The number one contributing factor as to why fights occur is alcohol and or drugs
- I like to call alcohol "liquid courage"
- Both alcohol and drugs override a person’s thought process to the point where reality and fantasy are one in the same. Both remove a person’s common sense factor​
No it isn't, not really. The major factor is the person's existing emotional/psychological issues. Alcohol and other drugs can make it more likely they will display their issues by giving permission and physiological effects such as reduction of inhibition, triggering aggression mechanisms, etc, but it is not the number one contributor, in my opinion. Also it is not about fantasy merging with reality and that is definitely a fallacy, rather it is about loss of social inhibition.

Other than these points I liked the article. His break down of the ritual seems to be right, to me. Hope that answered your questions, AKick

John

G

Gaidheal

Aye, does look worth a read <bookmarked>. I tend to go on about this a bit.. but I really don't understand people who think it is an either/or choice wrt armed and unarmed techniques. You obviously need both, every army in history has had both (every successful one anyway) and this is STILL true today. So, where on earth do they get these ideas? TV?

John

TChase

Green Belt
Reaction score

The Offensive Mindset:

- more often than not, the combatant who strikes first and maintains the offensive mindset, usually win the fight
- in a street fight do not go defensive, attack the attack, go offensive, you deploy FIRST STRIKE and continue with a compound attack

I couldn't agree more with this. I believe this is the most important thing to understand when engaged in a real situation. The whole "Self Defense" mindset that is commonly taught will get you in a lot of trouble.

Most Street Fights Are Decided By A Strike to The Head:

- most street fighters are head hunters
- they understand that the brain is the computer of the body. You knock it out and the body will follow
- this is why in a street fight you "MUST" protect your head and neck

Another good one. That is one of the reasons why in the UKF we don't use the low handed kenpo pose commonly seen.

T

ThatWasAKick

Both of those struck me as well. But I never considered the practical use of the lower hand stance. The question that comes to mind with your comment, TChase, is how often will you be in a RL fight with someone who is trained? Never! Great input. I have something new to chew over.

GH - oh, you made some good points, worthy of thought. Will think about and respond. Thx.

loki09789

Senior Master
Reaction score
TChase said:
I couldn't agree more with this. I believe this is the most important thing to understand when engaged in a real situation. The whole "Self Defense" mindset that is commonly taught will get you in a lot of trouble.

Another good one. That is one of the reasons why in the UKF we don't use the low handed kenpo pose commonly seen.
Makes a good draw/invitation to an opponent to take a head shot if you learn how to apply it that way. Risky in a real deal situation, though.

I had a friend who learned a 'paint the sky' tactic where he would hold his lead hand way over his head and leave this juicy looking gap from his head to his hip that included the exposed armpit as well....crashed my hand/foot almost everytime I took the bait. An untrained opponent might take the bait because they are untrained.

TChase

Green Belt
Reaction score
ThatWasAKick said:
Both of those struck me as well. But I never considered the practical use of the lower hand stance. The question that comes to mind with your comment, TChase, is how often will you be in a RL fight with someone who is trained? Never! Great input. I have something new to chew over.
Whether facing a trained or untrained fighter I would never go into it with my hands low. See my next comment for my explanation.

TChase

Green Belt
Reaction score
loki09789 said:
Makes a good draw/invitation to an opponent to take a head shot if you learn how to apply it that way. Risky in a real deal situation, though.

I had a friend who learned a 'paint the sky' tactic where he would hold his lead hand way over his head and leave this juicy looking gap from his head to his hip that included the exposed armpit as well....crashed my hand/foot almost everytime I took the bait. An untrained opponent might take the bait because they are untrained.
I think baiting the enemy to attack in anything other than a point sparring/tournament situation is a bad idea. In a real situation I'm not going to be involved in a trading back and forth/sparring or a stand off/pissing match situation. There's only two things that will make me fight. 1. The enemy has given me no choice by initiating the engagement whereas, I would go in attacking the attack with an offensive mindset and gain control or 2. Myself or a loved one was in danger, whereas I would immediately attack with an offensive mindset to gain control. Either way I wouldn't go in with my hands down. There are also other Kenpo principles dictating why I wouldn't assume a hands down position but I wanted to address your point which was a good one. These are only my opinions based on what I've been taught for what it's worth.

-Tom

Adept

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Most of the time inviting an attack on the street is a redundant move anyway. In sparring, its almost essential since a good guard is very hard to get past. If your opponent is of a similar skill, physique and fitness level then they will expand as you contract, contract as you expand, and unless you take control of the fight you will continue to prance around like fighting cocks until one of you just gets tired. Often you need to let them 'attack' so you can open a hole in their guard to attack into.

On the street this isnt even an issue, since the other guy is going to be attacking you regardless. You just have to be able to react. Or act first.

still learning

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hello, Tgace, Wow! I read the street 101, One of the best articles on street stuffs, Great advice! You could feel the bad guys coming on to you! After reading this you will want more physical and mental training. A big "Mahalo" and Aloha.

Latest Discussions