Street 101

Bammx2

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I have read quite a few things by Darren laur.
To be honest,I use quite a bit of his info in my seminars and "street 101" being one of them.
He is a lot better at putting certain things into words than I am!

KenpoTex

Senior Master
Reaction score
Very good, thanks for posting this.

Real Fights Are Not Pretty:

- not choreographed like you see on T.V. or in some martial arts schools
- Most are very sloppy, fast, and gross in appearance
- Most are not back and forth occurrences. The first person who gets in the first good neutralizing blow usually wins the fight
- Even a well trained combatant’s technique will usually get very sloppy after the first or second shots are thrown
- This is why in a street fight, "functionality of technique" is far more important that "perfect technique". If what you do is pretty and perfect but not functional, what good is it going to be in the real world
The Offensive Mindset:

- more often than not, the combatant who strikes first and maintains the offensive mindset, usually win the fight
- in a street fight do not go defensive, attack the attack, go offensive, you deploy FIRST STRIKE and continue with a compound attack
Exactly!!!

bignick

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
thanks for posting this info...i like what this guy has to say...he's got a real "no BS" attitude i appreciate

Sin

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
In the Dojo I am a defensive fighter but If I feel truly treatened i will react violently...kinda like the way a Dog reacts to being cornered or having its tail steped on :flame:

G

Gaidheal

Hmm...

Some of his stuff I'd take exception to, specifically his profiling.. but as for the actual 'fight' stuff, he's spot on. Real fights are quick, dirty, often involve groups, frequently happen after drug use and tend to finish with someone being kicked or punched whilst they lie on the ground. I especially like his re-iteration of the gross motor vs complicated technique argument. I know a great many Kung-Fu fans, all of whom are great people, who are convinced they can pull of some very nice moves. The reality is that if the adrenaline is flowing they probably cannot properly feel what their hands are doing anymore due to reduced bloodflow and involuntary tensing. If a technique relies on precise positioning of fingers, for example, you are not likely to pull it off in a tense situation. I like elbow strikes myself - hard to miss and no fine motor control at all is required.
John

T

ThatWasAKick

A great read.

GAIDHEAL:
John, out of curiosity, is there anything in the profiling that you felt was really off? I love forensic psychology and would enjoy your input.

G

Gaidheal

ThatWasAKick said:
John, out of curiosity, is there anything in the profiling that you felt was really off? I love forensic psychology and would enjoy your input.
I shall re-read the article and then comment specifically on the profiling. I like forensic psychology too. In fact, I like forensics as a field.

John

[edit]P.S. Should point out that will be tomorrow now, for you. I am off to bed shortly, just drinking some green tea and reading, believe it or not, a text on machine code programming and 8086 Assembler. If that means nothing to you... don't worry ;¬)

T

ThatWasAKick

The 8086 has 14 16-bit registers, all with different usage and a 16-bit FLAG Register consisting of 9 status bits. ......sorry......just tweaking you...<grin?>

G

Gaidheal

Yes.. it does... actually, 8086 is simple enough. Just a bit weird with segmented memory access. Yay for 32 bit flat!! Most registers are general purpose, by the way, but certain operations return values to a specific register, overwriting anything you left in there for later if you forget... nasty errors to track down, those ;¬)

As for the ALU status register... pfffftt.

John

KenpoTex

Senior Master
Reaction score
ThatWasAKick said:
The 8086 has 14 16-bit registers, all with different usage and a 16-bit FLAG Register consisting of 9 status bits. ......sorry......just tweaking you...<grin?>
Gaidheal said:
Yes.. it does... actually, 8086 is simple enough. Just a bit weird with segmented memory access. Yay for 32 bit flat!! Most registers are general purpose, by the way, but certain operations return values to a specific register, overwriting anything you left in there for later if you forget... nasty errors to track down, those ;¬)
As for the ALU status register... pfffftt.

Will somebody please speak english...;)

T

ThatWasAKick

No sweat, kenpotex. I haven't a clue what gh just said, either. I was just throwing out words to see what kind of a response I'd get - sort of like babbling in first grade French to a Frenchman.

Latest Discussions