Stopping an active shooter

CB Jones

Senior Master
Reaction score
Exactly, or you can get a semi auto rifle and a bjmp stock. end result is an jnnaccurate, high capacity rifle with a high rate of fire.

You don't even have to waste the money on the stock. Some paracord will work as well.

CB Jones

Senior Master
Reaction score
The point being missed here is that some folks, myself included, understand the technical difference and believe it is a red herring to the actual discussion. its a distraction to the fact that he fired a lot of bullets jnto a large crowd and did a tremendous amount of harm in something like 12 minutes. 5 people died in the boston massacre. we are into another stratosphere of scale here.

I understand but is it that hard to just use the correct term....Bump Fired Weapon instead of the incorrect term Fully Automatic Weapon....the correct term even has fewer syllables and letters.

And when someone points out that the incorrect term is in incorrect...just accept it instead of claiming the incorrect term is in effect the correct term.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
I understand but is it that hard to just use the correct term....Bump Fired Weapon instead of the incorrect term Fully Automatic Weapon....the correct term even has fewer syllables and letters.

And when someone points out that the incorrect term is in incorrect...just accept it instead of claiming the incorrect term is in effect the correct term.
Well, to be honest, i use the term incorrectly as a way emphasize that it is beside the point. not to get on your nerves, but for exactly the same reason you Insist we should, i feel like we shouldn't.

Fuhrer Drumpf

Orange Belt
Reaction score
How to stop an active shooter. Having a gun of your own and the proper training to be able to effectively use it and a CCW can help in some situations but when the shooter is some 30 plus stories up in a building and using automatic rifles and you're on the ground its not going to help. As it is the USA is in mourning right now. An active shooter in Las Vegas just killed 59 people at least and injured over 500 from up in a building. If I was on the ground below what I would do would be to try to find cover as quickly as possible and to stay low. However, Im thinking is there any way to stop this before it happens? If you're at the hotel and you notice a suspicious individual can any actions be taken? Is there any way to know if a person is suspicious and if they might commit such a crime beforehand?

The sad truth is that some situations are simply impossible to prevent or defend against. A guy shooting from a distance is one example.

OP
P

PhotonGuy

Senior Master
Reaction score
The shooter might've used a bump fire stock but with bump fire stocks I believe it messes up your accuracy. The shooter did not need to be accurate to hit people in the crowd but the point is that a bump fire stock does not make a semi automatic function just like a full automatic. For one thing a semi auto with a bump fire will be less accurate than a full automatic. Also, not quite as high a rate of fire.

A hellfire trigger would make a semi auto function much like a full auto, without a loss of accuracy, although it would still be a semi auto.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
No

Fully automatic does not mean the gun just fires at a high rate.

A fully automatic weapon fires repeatedly without resetting the trigger. A semi automatic fires repeatedly but requires the trigger to be reset prior to each shot.

Bump firing is a technique that allows you to reset the trigger rapidly while firing a gun. A bump-fire stock just does the technique for you.

You can Bump Fire most guns without mechanical aid. You can bump fire a handgun using your support hand. You can Bump fire rifles using your beltloop. Theorectically, you can bump fire a bolt-action rifle if you have someone else work the action fast enough.

If you put a bump fire stock on a bolt action rifle.....it is still a bolt action rifle....no matter how fast you work the action.

Every round he fired was proceeded with a reset of the trigger which means he was not firing a fully automatic weapon.

So he did not use a fully automatic weapon......He Bump Fired a Semi-Automatic Weapon using a Bump-Fire Stock.
You can feel free to read my other posts. And I don’t mind if you disagree. You are free to do that. Just in case you were not sure about that.

OP
P

PhotonGuy

Senior Master
Reaction score
The sad truth is that some situations are simply impossible to prevent or defend against. A guy shooting from a distance is one example.
Yes, another example is a bomb going off right next to you. Suicide bombing is another trend. For that I keep a lookout as best as I can but if somebody sets off a bomb right next to me Im gone, Im finished.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
If agreement on the terms cannot be reached when it is so easy...is there a use of discussing?
Brian King
The trouble here isnt mutual understanding. everyone knows what the other means. the issue is something else. for me, its always worth discussing important issues like this.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score

Some people are hung up on a definition.

Other people are more concerned with the reality of what is actually happening.

Definitions can be used as a smokescreen.

CB Jones

Senior Master
Reaction score
Some people are hung up on a definition.

Other people are more concerned with the reality of what is actually happening.

Definitions can be used as a smokescreen.

There was no smokescreen in pointing out that the weapons used were not full auto but merely bump fired semi-autos. It was simply clarifying the facts.

It was kinda like my wife coming in saying that something is wrong with her car's carburetor and after pointing out that the car is fuel injected and doesn't have a carburetor she continues to refer to it as the carburetor instead of the fuel injection for the rest of the night. :banghead:

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
There was no smokescreen in pointing out that the weapons used were not full auto but merely bump fired semi-autos. It was simply clarifying the facts.

It was kinda like my wife coming in saying that something is wrong with her car's carburetor and after pointing out that the car is fuel injected and doesn't have a carburetor she continues to refer to it as the carburetor instead of the fuel injection for the rest of the night. :banghead:
Two different priorities. Neither perspective is more "correct" than the other.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Disagree....it is a fact Fuel injected cars do not have carburetors.
Totally agree. But whether that fact contributes to or distracts from what is important is a matter of opinion. I hope this makes sense. I'm not trying to be pedantic. What we are discussing is a huge source of conflict around d here.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score

There is a war for the terminology to gain control over the spin those terms create.

This is a deliberate attempt to protect an ideal at all costs despite the damage it might cause real people. From both sides.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
The shooter might've used a bump fire stock but with bump fire stocks I believe it messes up your accuracy. The shooter did not need to be accurate to hit people in the crowd but the point is that a bump fire stock does not make a semi automatic function just like a full automatic. For one thing a semi auto with a bump fire will be less accurate than a full automatic. Also, not quite as high a rate of fire.

A hellfire trigger would make a semi auto function much like a full auto, without a loss of accuracy, although it would still be a semi auto.

Fully auto isn't really accurate either.

CB Jones

Senior Master
Reaction score
There is a war for the terminology to gain control over the spin those terms create.

This is a deliberate attempt to protect an ideal at all costs despite the damage it might cause real people. From both sides.

Fully automatic, Semi-automatic, and Bump Firing are technical terms with finite definitions.

How does the term Bump Fired Semi-Auto Weapon vs Fully Automatic Weapon create any spin? Both terms cause problems for Gun Advocates.

I understand the argument over the definition of an assault rifle but this one escapes me.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Fully automatic, Semi-automatic, and Bump Firing are technical terms with finite definitions.

How does the term Bump Fired Semi-Auto Weapon vs Fully Automatic Weapon create any spin? Both terms cause problems for Gun Advocates.

I understand the argument over the definition of an assault rifle but this one escapes me.
Well, I've tried to explain it, but you're still caught up on the technical terms. It's a forest for the trees situation.

Latest Discussions