Stopping an active shooter

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
fully automatic
Gotcha. Thx.

Saw some video on the news last night from the police cams, it sure as hell sounded like fully automatic.

I understand there is a difference between a bump stock and fully auto, in terms of the functional mechanics, but the results are the same.

He was firing weapons that were functionally fully automatic, regardless of the mechanics of the weapon.

lklawson

Grandmaster
Reaction score
What is “FA” weapon?
"Full Auto"

Fully Automatic or Select Fire. A legal definition for you and I here in the U.S. The ATF (BATFE - Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms, and Explosives), generally gets to decide what is and is not FA. The legal definition, as passed by congress in the National Firearm Act of 1934 (as a "machine gun" ims), is any gun which fires more than one cartridge with each pull of the trigger, inclusive of guns that MAY BE READILY CONVERTED to full automatic fire. This is usually applied to semi-automatic gun of "open bolt" designs but can (and has) been applied to any number of oddball things inclusive of yard, rubber bands, and even a glove worn by the user with a motorized finger. It has not been applied, thus far, to crank-style attachments (looks like a fishing pole crank), "bump fire" stocks, and double-barred shotguns.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

hoshin1600

Senior Master
Reaction score
In this recent tragedy had I been on the ground I would've ran for cover and called the police.
while this idea seems logical and a response many people might believe, the reality is that this was a crowd watching a show. everyone is packed together pretty tightly. the first problem as was mentioned is that most people have no idea what gun shots actually sound like. so while you may hear the ratta tat tat sound you will most likely just be looking around like everyone else. everyone else will just be looking around asking "what was that" you will have no visual context that triggers your brain into flight mode. you will be more inclined to be in freeze mode since your brain has not been able to asses the threat. once you see bodies dropping,,guess what so does every one else and the chaos begins. you will be trampled and pushed ,,pulled away from friends and loved ones, your emotional first response will be to get back to your loved ones. people will be running in EVERY direction. you will be like a fish trying to get up stream. you will have to navigate the crowd. it is a pure fantasy that some how you will make your way to cover as if no one else was there. so your going for cover?,, so are hundreds of other people.
'It was hysteria. People were trampled': panic as Las Vegas gunman opened fire

lklawson

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Gotcha. Thx.

Saw some video on the news last night from the police cams, it sure as hell sounded like fully automatic.

I understand there is a difference between a bump stock and fully auto, in terms of the functional mechanics, but the results are the same.

He was firing weapons that were functionally fully automatic, regardless of the mechanics of the weapon.
It is confirmed that he was using a "bump fire" stock.

While bump fire stocks do allow for what appears to be FA-like rates of fire, the way they work means that they are much harder to aim effectively. They require a certain "looseness" to shoot.

People who are trained on FA are repeatedly saying that this giant sucking douchebag sucked at FA technique. The reason that he has as many murders and injuries as he has is because he was shooting into a crowd of more than 20,000 (twenty thousand) people packed together like sardines.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

CDR_Glock

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
How to stop an active shooter. Having a gun of your own and the proper training to be able to effectively use it and a CCW can help in some situations but when the shooter is some 30 plus stories up in a building and using automatic rifles and you're on the ground its not going to help. As it is the USA is in mourning right now. An active shooter in Las Vegas just killed 59 people at least and injured over 500 from up in a building. If I was on the ground below what I would do would be to try to find cover as quickly as possible and to stay low. However, Im thinking is there any way to stop this before it happens? If you're at the hotel and you notice a suspicious individual can any actions be taken? Is there any way to know if a person is suspicious and if they might commit such a crime beforehand?

Problem was that he had cameras along his perimeter. He would have killed you before you realized it. Unless you had a ballistic/riot shield against a rifle, you would have been killed. He had a lot of things planned out. If you were next door to him, it would have been dangerous, also. He would be taking on fire and you could become collateral damage.

There was nothing other than SWAT/Special Forces/Special Warfare who could have taken him out.

I hope that we find out his motives soon to determine if things were preventable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
It is confirmed that he was using a "bump fire" stock.

While bump fire stocks do allow for what appears to be FA-like rates of fire, the way they work means that they are much harder to aim effectively. They require a certain "looseness" to shoot.

People who are trained on FA are repeatedly saying that this giant sucking douchebag sucked at FA technique. The reason that he has as many murders and injuries as he has is because he was shooting into a crowd of more than 20,000 (twenty thousand) people packed together like sardines.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk
Sure, and I understand there are differences in the accuracy and in the definitions.

In this case, the bump stock gave him a method that was very effective for the circumstances in raising his rate of fire to that which rivals a true automatic weapon by definition. It was a device that allowed him to do this, not simply an ability to pull the trigger over and over, very quickly. Accuracy deficiencies be damned, he was firing into a crowded stadium and it didn’t matter.

In effect, he used a fully automatic weapon, regardless of definitions.

CB Jones

Senior Master
Reaction score
In effect, he used a fully automatic weapon, regardless of definitions.

In effect he didn't. He used a semi auto weapon equipped with a bump stock or rapid firing device.

To say it was full auto is inaccurate and leads anyone who is familiar with guns to get an inaccurate picture of what went happened.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
In effect he didn't. He used a semi auto weapon equipped with a bump stock or rapid firing device.

To say it was full auto is inaccurate and leads anyone who is familiar with guns to get an inaccurate picture of what went happened.
"In effect" is used to designate that something is operationally so (has the effect of), even though not officially recognized as such. The weapons didn't meet the legal (official) definition of "fully automatic", but the effect is identical. So, in effect, he did.

CB Jones

Senior Master
Reaction score
"In effect" is used to designate that something is operationally so (has the effect of), even though not officially recognized as such. The weapons didn't meet the legal (official) definition of "fully automatic", but the effect is identical. So, in effect, he did.

Still to refer to it as fully automatic is inaccurate.

If you were to tell me he used a fully auto weapon then it makes me wonder was he licensed, if not how did he purchase full auto, was it a straw purchase from a licensed individual, etc...

Where as if you refer to it accurately as a semi-auto with a bump stock then those questions do not come up.

So when Kirk stated there were no FA weapons used....he was correct.

Last edited:

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

If you were to tell me he used a fully auto weapon then it makes me wonder was he licensed, if not how did he purchase full auto, was it a straw purchase from a licensed individual, etc...

Where as if you refer to it accurately as a semi-auto with a bump stock then those questions do not come up.

Again, that ignores the phrase "in effect", which has the purpose of making it clear the reference is not to an actual (formally recognized) fully automatic weapon. That's the whole point of using that phrase.

And, yes, Kirk was correct. As was FC.

lklawson

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Again, that ignores the phrase "in effect", which has the purpose of making it clear the reference is not to an actual (formally recognized) fully automatic weapon. That's the whole point of using that phrase.

And, yes, Kirk was correct. As was FC.
To use that definition of "in effect" then we could say, "in effect it really wasn't particularly different from using a semi-auto shotgun with buckshot" because every pull of the trigger sent a bunch of projectiles downrange.

I'm not trying to be pedantic, I'm just saying that, particularly in this case, terminology is very important.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
At the risk of getting too political, I am a libertarian who mostly hangs out with republicans, I don't know a ton about guns but overhear my friends talking about them. I'm also generally against gun control.

With that said, I see this conversation, and to me it sounds like FA and SA with bump stoke have basically the same level of danger, and if gun-control was an issue I cared about, I would want them legislated in the same way.

Now imagine how someone who is a anti-gun liberal that has never even held a rifle would read this conversation and interpret it. Technicalities/loopholes may be legally important, but to the general public they don't matter all that much.

Last edited:

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Believe he was using bump stocks on sem-auto weapons
Right. That's what I heard too. Net effect is same. Right?
It's a valid distinction, legally, in the US. From a functional standpoint (for others reading - I presume you're aware of this), the difference is not consequential.
Exactly true. When folks refer to gun "loopholes", this is an example of what they mean, where someone can achieve something that is illegal by combining two things that are individually legal.

The net effect is that this guy had FA weapons.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score

Sure, and we can take refuge behind convenient definitions, or we can recognize reality for what it is.

If he had used a semi-auto weapon and had simply pulled the trigger over and over, very quickly, and without some kind of mechanical aid, then I would agree with you.

But he did not do that. He used a mechanical aid that enabled him to fire at a much higher rate than he would have been able to maintain on his own, without that mechanical aid.

He used a fully automatic weapon.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
To use that definition of "in effect" then we could say, "in effect it really wasn't particularly different from using a semi-auto shotgun with buckshot" because every pull of the trigger sent a bunch of projectiles downrange.

I'm not trying to be pedantic, I'm just saying that, particularly in this case, terminology is very important.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk
I am usually right there with you, Kirk, but I couldn't disagree more on this one. The net effect is really what needs to be considered here, as in this case we can see that this is a combination of actions that are legal individually, but when combined result in actions that undermine the intent of the law.

Last edited:

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score

He used a “work-around” to devise a fully automatic weapon, hidden behind a convenient definition.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
At the risk of getting too political, I am a libertarian who mostly hangs out with republicans, I don't know a ton about guns but overhear my friends talking about them. I'm also generally against gun control.

With that said, I see this conversation, and to me it sounds like FA and SA with bump stoke have basically the same level of danger, and if gun-control was an issue I cared about, I would want them legislated in the same way.

Now imagine how someone who is a anti-gun liberal that has never even held a rifle would read this conversation and interpret it. Technicalities/loopholes may be legally important, but to the general public they don't matter all that much.
Just a point of clarification. There are liberal gun owners and conservatives who are not pro-NRA. And for the record, I am not anti-gun, and my liberal friends think I'm a conservative and my conservative friends think I'm a liberal, when I'm really just on Team Common Sense.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Just a point of clarification. There are liberal gun owners and conservatives who are not pro-NRA. And for the record, I am not anti-gun, and my liberal friends think I'm a conservative and my conservative friends think I'm a liberal, when I'm really just on Team Common Sense.
That's fair. Was just making the generality, for the most part liberals are for gun control and conservatives are against it. Definitely not a hard rule.

Latest Discussions