Stopping an active shooter

OP
P

PhotonGuy

Senior Master
Reaction score
Sure you could try if you want to end up dead. You suspect something call the police simple as that no point being a dead hero
When seconds count the police are minutes away.

In this recent tragedy had I been on the ground I would've ran for cover and called the police. No way of engaging a bad guy who is 32 stories up and who has automatic rifles. However there are cases where an active shooter is stopped by a CCW holder.

OP
P

PhotonGuy

Senior Master
Reaction score
in answer to your question, no,there nothing ou can do, all it need is a mad man, an automatic weapon enough armo and some victims to all be at the same place at the same time,
Well yes, or a madman and a truck and some victims or a madman and a bomb and some victims or a madman and some gasoline and matches and some victims, ect.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Well yes, or a madman and a truck and some victims or a madman and a bomb and some victims or a madman and some gasoline and matches and some victims, ect.

Guns are just easier to use and more effective at the end point.

Boston bombing took a heap of set up. The drive though crowd attacks don't get a hell of a lot of people. And can be countered by bollards.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
This to a certain degree was an awareness issue. People did not recognize that the sound was gunfire and then did not act quickly enough.

I have mentioned this with awareness you don't know what you don't know. And the sound of automatic gunfire from 40 stories up as opposed to fire crackers or just something silly is something I would not have known until I saw people dropping.

OP
P

PhotonGuy

Senior Master
Reaction score
Guns are just easier to use and more effective at the end point.

Boston bombing took a heap of set up. The drive though crowd attacks don't get a hell of a lot of people. And can be countered by bollards.
Not necessarily. Its possible to build a bomb that can blow up a building with materials that can be bought at a hardware store. Automatic rifles and to some extent semi automatic rifles might be effective at killing lots of people but not handguns. Back in 1990 in NY there was a case where somebody lit up a dance club with gasoline. Killed more people than in any modern mass shooting in the USA.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Not necessarily. Its possible to build a bomb that can blow up a building with materials that can be bought at a hardware store. Automatic rifles and to some extent semi automatic rifles might be effective at killing lots of people but not handguns. Back in 1990 in NY there was a case where somebody lit up a dance club with gasoline. Killed more people than in any modern mass shooting in the USA.

Your source?

CB Jones

Senior Master
Reaction score
This to a certain degree was an awareness issue. People did not recognize that the sound was gunfire and then did not act quickly enough.

I have mentioned this with awareness you don't know what you don't know. And the sound of automatic gunfire from 40 stories up as opposed to fire crackers or just something silly is something I would not have known until I saw people dropping.

Compound that with the echos of the gunshots making it impossible to know where the shots are coming from and which way to flee.

When it was going on, they thought there were multiple shooters in every building due to the echoes.

Anarax

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
How to stop an active shooter. Having a gun of your own and the proper training to be able to effectively use it and a CCW can help in some situations but when the shooter is some 30 plus stories up in a building and using automatic rifles and you're on the ground its not going to help. As it is the USA is in mourning right now. An active shooter in Las Vegas just killed 59 people at least and injured over 500 from up in a building. If I was on the ground below what I would do would be to try to find cover as quickly as possible and to stay low. However, Im thinking is there any way to stop this before it happens? If you're at the hotel and you notice a suspicious individual can any actions be taken? Is there any way to know if a person is suspicious and if they might commit such a crime beforehand?

What you suggest about finding cover is a good idea, but there's no sure way to prevent tragedies like this. It's difficult to accept, but in life there are things outside of our control. There are too many people and so many ways to harm one another it can't always be prevented. We can't predict the unpredictably of people, nor can we hope to always find a answer in why people commit such acts. The only thing we can do is respond to the situation the best way we can, SWAT, EMTs, Nurses, Triage, etc. I hope all the injured recover

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
If they are packed in bags and you use one of those big brass carts you see in hotels, it wouldn't be a struggle. Heck, you might just get the bell hop to take them to your room. Unless in addition to being a psychopath, you are too cheap to tip.

...like Mr. Pink.

Steve Buscemi GIFs - Find & Share on GIPHY

To be fair, Mr. Pink wasn't too cheap to tip. He chose not to tip on principle.

hoshin1600

Senior Master
Reaction score
We don't? Dang. And here I thought my wife was actually seeing clients, mostly on the taxpayer's dime, as a Board Certified, State Licensed, Counselor.

I'll have to be sure to tell her that she doesn't actually have a job.

I can appreciate the sarcasm. Yes we have counseling and I'm sure they work hard but I was referring to institutions that keep people long term when they are a danger to themselves or to others. The psychiatric asylum.
My mom worked in one of these facilities back in the day. she said it was really sad. It effected her a lot and she had to quit nursing. She said there were so many people there that were just dumped there by the family because they couldn't be bothered.
Since the 1960 and 1970 most have been shutdown but the amount of people who need long term care has not gone away.
The responsibility has shifted to prisons

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
...The psychiatric asylum ...Since the 1960 and 1970 most have been shutdown but the amount of people who need long term care has not gone away. The responsibility has shifted to prisons

I'm assuming the resources allotted for indigent psychiatric care varies from state to state. We have a lot of psychologically messed up people on the streets where I live. It's a shame. But that's another issue. So far we still do not know much about the Las Vegas shooter, his motivations or exactly what demons he carried inside. We may never know. My sympathies go out to the victims, their families and friends.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Believe he was using bump stocks on sem-auto weapons
It's a valid distinction, legally, in the US. From a functional standpoint (for others reading - I presume you're aware of this), the difference is not consequential.

Latest Discussions