Stomps and Slaps

OP
DavidCC

DavidCC

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I have never heard on an application of slapping oneself in TCMA.

"There are greater things in heaven and in the earth than are dreamt of in your philosophy..."

and here is an example, I think this is what you might call "TCMA".

Last edited by a moderator:

bostonbomber

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Thanks for the example on fa jing, which simply means "explosive strength" and should be a part of all martial arts, not just TCMA. Your intent, or yi, is on the striking hand. The opposite hand is pulled back to chamber or act as a counter-balance; it plays an important role but slapping yourself, to my knowledge, is not part of it.

When I said I have never heard of an application of slapping yourself, I meant exactly that: I have not heard of an application of slapping yourself. I'm sorry if it came across as me saying there was no application.

Doc

Senior Master
Reaction score
Thanks for the example on fa jing, which simply means "explosive strength" and should be a part of all martial arts, not just TCMA. Your intent, or yi, is on the striking hand. The opposite hand is pulled back to chamber or act as a counter-balance; it plays an important role but slapping yourself, to my knowledge, is not part of it.

When I said I have never heard of an application of slapping yourself, I meant exactly that: I have not heard of an application of slapping yourself. I'm sorry if it came across as me saying there was no application.

There's no problem sir. Sometime the written word doesn't always reflect the tone of our thought. There are significant applications, especially in arts like Mok Gar, and even Five Animal where I've seen much of it.

Kembudo-Kai Kempoka

Senior Master
Reaction score

Sifu Ark Wong has some prominent surviving students who, to this day, advocate the applications of self-slaps. Stomping, slapping, shuffling 5 family practitioners will know the reference. When you get to knowing more about his system than his top lineage survivors, let us know.

D.

Kembudo-Kai Kempoka

Senior Master
Reaction score
At the risk of having sounded a little abrupt in my last post, allow me to offer this for your review.

One of Ark Wong's senior students was a gentleman by the name of Ralph Shun. He had a student named Haumea Lefiti, and ex-Marine who had alsoready trained in Mok Ga in Taiwan. Meeting Mr. Wong with a letter of introduction, Mr. Wong set him up to train under Shun, initially. Later, Lefiti would become a direct and provate student of Mr. Wong, eraning his instructors rank and title in Wong's Five Family CLF system, including the Mok subsystem. Lefiti sought to condense the Mok Ga training keys into training exercises that would emphasize the repeated, most combat-applicable movements and sequences from the 700+ move Mok form, taught to him by Sifu Wong.

Hee called these line drills "Browns". Here's a link to the condensed Mok drills put together by Lefiti:

Note the slapping, stomping, shuffling movements, with quick circular, semi-circular, and straight movements of the upper limbs, and directional shifts off the torso used to drive the power applications. Find some old kenpo footage, and you'll see what we mean about the influence on Mr. Parker, from this line. When I watch this, my brain keeps trying to interpret the moves into specific kenpo sequences I'm familiar with, because it looks so bloody much alike in so many ways.

Be well, and my apologies for the unecessary snarkiness,

D.

Last edited by a moderator:

marlon

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
How loose or tense is the hand that slaps. Is there tension when the check hits the body or shoulder or does it stay loose throughout the whole movement?

Respectfully,
Marlon