Stomps and Slaps

OP
DavidCC

DavidCC

Master of Arts
Reaction score
if you split, please post the link to the other thread here.

I totally misunderstood what SET was, but I got an answer to the question I was really trying to ask anyway!

Althought this isn't exaclty on the topic of "why slap yourself" it somehow does seem to come together, to me at least. It will take me a while to digest all that Dr Dave wrote (and Doc C too!)

I know one thing, if I ever meet you, Dr. Dave, I am definately keeping you up all night. The later it got the more you wrote! :)

excellent material but right now it has me totally
:redeme:

OP
DavidCC

DavidCC

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Kembudo-Kai Kempoka said:
overwhelm and confusion are good signs you are about to learn something new.

D.
AH HA! Concrete proof that I learn something new every day

ROFL!

Hand Sword

Grandmaster
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
In the Void (Where still, this merciless GOD torme
I've watched some of the EdParker videos where he was teaching a class, and he explained the slapping yourself as a safety valve, where if your block or strike doesn't shoot fast enough and reach the target, your "slapping" will pick it up. The rebounding energy was also explained by other EPAK members I've spoken with. It was basically explained as being able to put "the ball in play" faster, rather than overcoming the inertia of a chambered strike, plus not allowing it to get trapped to your body (as I found out training with Kung Fu students).

Doc

Senior Master
Reaction score
Gary Crawford said:
It's for effect,just like wrestling(sport enertainment type).Send him an e-mail and ask him.
Clearly you have no idea what you're talking about. A self-defense art that uses "slapping & stomping" for sport entertainment? Clearly you didn't thing that through too well did you. :)

M

Mark Weiser

Slapping is an effective tool to speed up your attack. Think of it as throwing a baseball and it strikes the bat. The baseball rebounds from the bat at a greater speed than it was thrown. Try this for a test we learned this the other day in Shaolin Class.

When crossing your arms in front of your chest to do a dbl block inside to the outside from your center from your lower gates aka abdominal area. Strike your forearms together as they cross each other you will a pick up in speed. It works.

BallistikMike

Green Belt
Reaction score
Doc said:
That is one thing it does. Think of executing a technique alone but giving your body most of the physical "cues" and resistence you would receive with a training partner, therefore making your singular training closer to reality and the actual execution of the technique with a "live" body. Every technique has to be individual "mapped," and timed in its execution and taught as a slight variation off of the default application.

Think of it as a mini-taiji form or set executed at application speed with the emphasis placed on proper body mechanics, timing, and focused application. Done properly the body is "fooled" and you can derive 80% of the benefit you would obtain with a live technique adversary.
Sorry to revive this old thread, but it is down right awesome.

The bold and underlined text piqued my interest.

I guess I would ask if this could be explained in greater detail?

I am wondering as the technique flows are you "slapping" yourself simulating an attackers response to your response? Giving yourself reaction off of action?

Are you throwing the counterstrikes of your opponent for him and faster then he could actually throw them? Using a live body just as a reference point and allowing your mind to play the "what if" scenario at intense speed because you know where you are taking it and then throw the shot at yourself "slapping" to execute the next stage of the technique. Does that make any sense?

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Bumping this back for discussion.

SL4Drew

Green Belt
Reaction score
Funny, Doc just discussed this topic this past weekend at his seminar in Ohio. Maybe someone that went to it will want to post their experiences and observations.

OP
DavidCC

DavidCC

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I am not exaggerating when I say that this, one of my earleist posts at MT, changed my life.

Doc

Senior Master
Reaction score
I am not exaggerating when I say that this, one of my earleist posts at MT, changed my life.

They are called PAM's and BAM's and are essential to proper and efficient martial interaction as you found out on your visit. The depth of the information surrounding these simple mechanisms contains volumes of variables.

Doc

Senior Master
Reaction score
I've watched some of the EdParker videos where he was teaching a class, and he explained the slapping yourself as a safety valve, where if your block or strike doesn't shoot fast enough and reach the target, your "slapping" will pick it up.
If he said that, he was pulling somebody's chain, not giving out real info. He often did that when he didn't want to explain something.
The rebounding energy was also explained by other EPAK members I've spoken with. It was basically explained as being able to put "the ball in play" faster, rather than overcoming the inertia of a chambered strike, plus not allowing it to get trapped to your body (as I found out training with Kung Fu students).
Well, if that is their understanding - I guess that is their understanding.

OP
DavidCC

DavidCC

Master of Arts
Reaction score
They are called PAM's and BAM's and are essential to proper and efficient martial interaction as you found out on your visit. The depth of the information surrounding these simple mechanisms contains volumes of variables.

I can't hardly move without them anymore, and I've barely scratched the surface of it all.

I've noticed that people I work out with regularly are copying the PAMs but not so much the BAMs. I've tried to teach them what little I know about it (mostly thru AOD) but they are mostly not into it. oh well... it works for me.

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
They are called PAM's and BAM's and are essential to proper and efficient martial interaction as you found out on your visit.

(Emphasis added.) When I see a statement like this I always ask myself, "Why don't boxers do it?" As much money is at stake, I imagine they'd do it if it improved their chances of winning, but (as I understand what you're discussing) I don't see it happening. As much money and as many people as are involved in it, it seems someone would've re-invented this in one form or another.

I'm assuming grappling is different so one wouldn't expect to see them in wrestling/judo/etc.? What about MMA, fencing,...?

bostonbomber

Orange Belt
Reaction score
In TCMA, a stomp is sometimes used to rapidly transition the body weight to one leg so that the other is free to sweep, kick, etc. It's a transition move that often gets over used, particularly when people train forms for demonstration (loud noises always get the audiences attention). I have never heard on an application of slapping oneself in TCMA.

SL4Drew

Green Belt
Reaction score
In TCMA, a stomp is sometimes used to rapidly transition the body weight to one leg so that the other is free to sweep, kick, etc. It's a transition move that often gets over used, particularly when people train forms for demonstration (loud noises always get the audiences attention). I have never heard on an application of slapping oneself in TCMA.

That is one way we use the "stomp" aka PAM. Pak sao would be the closest CMA analogue to a BAM or a "slapcheck."

Doc

Senior Master
Reaction score
In TCMA, a stomp is sometimes used to rapidly transition the body weight to one leg so that the other is free to sweep, kick, etc. It's a transition move that often gets over used, particularly when people train forms for demonstration (loud noises always get the audiences attention).
Its more complicated than that, and structural integrity with activity anatomical congruency is tied to it.
I have never heard on an application of slapping oneself in TCMA.
Ever hear of "Wing Chun?"

bostonbomber

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Its more complicated than that, and structural integrity with activity anatomical congruency is tied to it.

Ever hear of "Wing Chun?"

Are you referring to a pak sao? We use the pak sao in Hung Ga as well. That involves slapping your opponent, not yourself.

profesormental

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Greetings.

The idea of BAM's and PAM's has come very naturally for me since my Wing Chun SiFu, when he stepped into us in sparring or Chi Sao, used to PAM the front leg while moving forward in a rear bow. So that is how I do it.

Also, the Wu sao (garding hand) always accomodated itself very much near the shoulder, where a BAM is done... now I emphasize it more for better effect. Many manipulations in the Chi Sao we do is explained and trained consciously in SL4.

And in Index set 101, about 90% of the movements are in Wing Chun's first form, except that in the Index Set, they are "activated" and ready for use without cooking.

Juan M. Mercado