Stomps and Slaps

DavidCC

Master of Arts
Reaction score
On another forum somebody was asking about some of these TOW clips. He asked, why does Larry stomp when he punches and slap himslef with his off-hand when he strikes. This can be seen in the "High Five" clip among others.

I think I understand the stomping as a technique to shift your body weight into the punch. But I am not sure that is what he is doing. I have no idea about the slapping. In fact, his body occludes the actual "slap" so I can't be sure that is even what he is doing... can somebody enlighten me please? (and in turn I will take that knowledge back to the other board :))

Thanks!
David

Ceicei

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
DavidCC said:
On another forum somebody was asking about some of these TOW clips. He asked, why does Larry stomp when he punches and slap himslef with his off-hand when he strikes. This can be seen in the "High Five" clip among others.

I think I understand the stomping as a technique to shift your body weight into the punch. But I am not sure that is what he is doing. I have no idea about the slapping. In fact, his body occludes the actual "slap" so I can't be sure that is even what he is doing... can somebody enlighten me please? (and in turn I will take that knowledge back to the other board :))

Thanks!
David
SGM Mr. Ed Parker did quite a bit of stomping and slapping. Mr. Tatum has trained with him, so that is not surprising to see the stomping and slapping would show as it is part of his training. There have been other threads on this subject, so let me see if I can find these for you. The debate had been on whether these movements actually contribute (as in enhancing power or target focus) to the technique, or if it is just a "way of doing" the movements.

- Ceicei

G

Gary Crawford

It's for effect,just like wrestling(sport enertainment type).Send him an e-mail and ask him.

R

RCastillo

I always thought the slaps were to represent hits to the opponent, and stopms to the legs/feet of the person. :idunno:

Rob Broad

Master of Arts
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The stomps can help increase the power of of stike or in other instances be a step onto the leg or foot or even sometime the body if the person has been knocked down. The slaps ar usually involved in checking where the attackers appendages will be, sometimes the slaps are part of trampolining which is when you come off your own body to propell you into the next strike.

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The slaps are your return motion apexes and are where you want your hands when you use the equation formula to identify a target, choose a weapon, the best angle, and cover.
Sean

kenpo_cory

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Stomping helps with marriage of gravity and the slapping has different reasons, some of which have been mentioned. Just my limited 2 cents worth.

satans.barber

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I always thought that the slapping was more to confuse the attacker than anything, as in they 'hear' twice as many blows landing as are actually falling on them. As far as I know this is supposed to help generate the effect whereby the attacker perceives so many blows landing that they go into a purely defensive mode, which allows you go get your strikes in.

I also think it helps trin you to keep your hands tight and close in to your body ready for blocking and striking, rather than flailing them above as white belts often do, leaving giant gaps that people can strike through.

As for the stomping, as other people have said I think that's just to help with marriage of gravity, but also lifting one foot up as you're about to perform a major strike helps you to change stance and direction quicker if you have to turn your motion into a counter.

Ian.

Dark Kenpo Lord

Brown Belt
Reaction score
DavidCC said:

Thanks!
David
In that particular clip I actually had to watch it again to see what you're talking about. They are checks, they just didn't have anything to ck at the time, but we bring them into play every technique, and if they don't make contact with an opponent, they rebound off your body back into play. Kenpo, we play a mean pinball, duh duh don da duh duh LOL.

DarK LorD

mj-hi-yah

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Dark Kenpo Lord said:
if they don't make contact with an opponent, they rebound off your body back into play. Kenpo, we play a mean pinball, duh duh don da duh duh LOL.

DarK LorD
I worked a drill on this recently with a friend, and while it may seem funny to actually allow yourself to hit/slap yourself, it is really quite effective and the rebound strike off of your body actually quickens the response and adds power to the strike. It is worth exploring! :asian:

Brother John

Senior Master
Reaction score
Rob Broad said:
sometimes the slaps are part of trampolining which is when you come off your own body to propell you into the next strike.

Yes. This is one of the things which we in the AKKI put under the heading of "internal elastic recoil"...which is a bit more involved than just describing it as "slapping yourself" or "trampolining...to propell...", but they are definitely related I believe. MJ came closer to describing what "Elastic Recoil" is about.
((Good job MJ))

...and though some seek to be "flashy", Kenpo isn't interested in "Hollywood Flash".

Your Brother
John

Brother John

Senior Master
Reaction score
Gary Crawford said:
It's for effect,just like wrestling(sport enertainment type).Send him an e-mail and ask him.
I must disagree. Though they can have such an effect...it does much more than just sensory impressions.
It's like the purpose behind a "Kiai"...it's SO much more than just a shout, but it does produce a shout in the adversaries ears...but what it does and how it functions is WAY deeper than that.
Sam-Ting with what you are calling a "slap".

Your Brother
John

mj-hi-yah

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Brother John said:
Yes. This is one of the things which we in the AKKI put under the heading of "internal elastic recoil"...which is a bit more involved than just describing it as "slapping yourself" or "trampolining...to propell...", but they are definitely related I believe. MJ came closer to describing what "Elastic Recoil" is about.
((Good job MJ))

...and though some seek to be "flashy", Kenpo isn't interested in "Hollywood Flash".

Your Brother
John
Thanks Brother John :asian: It's great to have the terminology for this. If you have any literature on it I'd be very interested to see it! :)

MJ :)

OP
DavidCC

DavidCC

Master of Arts
Reaction score
OK :) Well, I guess I won't be paraphrasing an answer to post in the other forum hahaha I'm just going to link to this topic. Thanks for all the excellent information, and that old thread was also very very informative. One of these days I've got to go see Dr. Chapel!

howardr

Green Belt
Reaction score
mj-hi-yah said:
Thanks Brother John :asian: It's great to have the terminology for this. If you have any literature on it I'd be very interested to see it! :)

This isn't from the AKKI, but you still may find it valuable (I know that I do!):

http://www.canamma.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=1979

I am referring particularly to "WHAT IS THE SLAP-CHECK?" by Dr. Chapel, which is quoted near the middle of the page.

mj-hi-yah

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
howardr said:
This isn't from the AKKI, but you still may find it valuable (I know that I do!):

http://www.canamma.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=1979

I am referring particularly to "WHAT IS THE SLAP-CHECK?" by Dr. Chapel, which is quoted near the middle of the page.
Howard thanks so much for sharing this link. :asian: This is great! It's funny, but somehow it seems to go back to Doc a lot!

Ceicei

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Doc was and still is one of the most analytical kenpoists. Even though many of the motions/concepts/principles were showcased by Mr. Parker (and others), Doc has been able to make these clearer with his written analyses.

- Ceicei

mj-hi-yah

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Ceicei said:
Doc was and still is one of the most analytical kenpoists. Even though many of the motions/concepts/principles were showcased by Mr. Parker (and others), Doc has been able to make these clearer with his written analyses.

- Ceicei
Yes Ceicei he has a great mind :idea: and so much to share! :asian:

Latest Discussions