Stick Sparring

giggskadabra

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Video of me and My good friend and training partner paul doing some stick sparring, we both practice russian all round fighting which is a competitive melee system that incorporates both armed and unarmed combat. see what you think

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Yeah, even going as light as you guys were, I'd still vote for fencing masks. Accidents do happen.

Maybe it's a side effect of the fact that you were trying to go light, but some of your mechanics seemed more suited for saber than for stick. I saw blows land which might have been effective cuts, but wouldn't have done much with a stick.

What were you using for sticks? Looked like it might have been some kind of light plastic.

Danny T

Senior Master
Reaction score
Yeah, even going as light as you guys were, I'd still vote for fencing masks. Accidents do happen.

Maybe it's a side effect of the fact that you were trying to go light, but some of your mechanics seemed more suited for saber than for stick. I saw blows land which might have been effective cuts, but wouldn't have done much with a stick.

What were you using for sticks? Looked like it might have been some kind of light plastic.
Yea I agree eye protection and is are they stick fighting or sabre playing just using sticks?
More linear movement compared to what I am accustom to with few attacks to the weapon hand when available.

OP
giggskadabra

giggskadabra

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Hey guys the style is based on russian sabre, so that should explain why the strikes look the way they do. I do agree fencing masks should be worn and its a priority for us to buy these asap

The sticks are literally just pvc conduit pipe bound in electrical tape (a bit ghetto i know) but these are light enough for sparring and cheap enough to replace

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have to be nosy and ask what the 'RAF UK' bit is? (being ex RAF like :)) are you based in Liverpool?

OP
giggskadabra

giggskadabra

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I have to be nosy and ask what the 'RAF UK' bit is? (being ex RAF like :)) are you based in Liverpool?
Hey man sorry it stands for Russian all round fighting it explains more in the videos descriptions and yes i am based in liverpool but obviously not with the airforce

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Lol, no worries, I must admit I've never come across Russian Stick fighting, looks interesting. Hard to imagine Scousers fighting though says she laughingly!
We used to have a Liverpool regiment, the Kings, here and they were always fighting bless them.
A few years back I was at at Angerr Management MMA fight night, they put a stick fighting 'demo' on, it really got the crowd going it was fierce!

OP
giggskadabra

giggskadabra

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Look it up on youtube maxim shatunov has all the best videos of raf its all quite brutal. And yeah us scousers love a bit of fisticuffs haha

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hey guys the style is based on russian sabre, so that should explain why the strikes look the way they do. I do agree fencing masks should be worn and its a priority for us to buy these asap

The sticks are literally just pvc conduit pipe bound in electrical tape (a bit ghetto i know) but these are light enough for sparring and cheap enough to replace
Aha! I thought that looked like saber work. Glad to know I wasn't imagining things.