Steven Seagal Aikido

Jenna

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
[yt]WLvoO5B1dMw[/yt]
Even in demo footage there can be found some useful applicable-to-reality technique. Mike, thank you for posting this! Jenna x

OP
M

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Glad you liked it Jenna. :) Personally, I like Seagal and his movies. I remember one of my old teachers. He told me about his first movie, Above The Law. He was like, "Man, you gotta see his movie. Its great!!!" Until then, I had never heard of Steven Seagal. So, off to the video store I go, rent the movie, and was pretty impressed.

I have a documentary on him...shows some of his training, interviews with his students, seminar instruction, etc. Good stuff.

Jenna

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Glad you liked it Jenna. :) Personally, I like Seagal and his movies. I remember one of my old teachers. He told me about his first movie, Above The Law. He was like, "Man, you gotta see his movie. Its great!!!" Until then, I had never heard of Steven Seagal. So, off to the video store I go, rent the movie, and was pretty impressed.

I have a documentary on him...shows some of his training, interviews with his students, seminar instruction, etc. Good stuff.
Same here! I appreciate that he like many others has his detractors for their various reasons. Personally, I would be lying if I said Seagal had not influenced the practice of my Aikido in one way or another [not least my inability to act :p]. Jenna x

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
That clip incidentally is from an old Mike Douglas (afternoon) talk show and that helped Steven get contacts for his break into show-biz. He was pretty awesome in his younger days. Brutal to his ukes but taught them well I suppose. Thanks for sharing.

Bruno@MT

Senior Master
Reaction score
Steven is great. I loved his initial movies, and it is clear that he has quite some skill. Too bad that in his later movies, he tried his hand at acting instead of just kicking *** :(

And when he went 'Chinese', his movies went down the drain entirely.
I never got why he quit training though. He went from lean and mean to fat and pudgy.

seasoned

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Steven is great. I loved his initial movies, and it is clear that he has quite some skill. Too bad that in his later movies, he tried his hand at acting instead of just kicking *** :(

I never got why he quit training though. He went from lean and mean to fat and pudgy.
With some people, money in the pocket, adds to this. I loved and watched all his movies. Acting was bad, but, his fight scenes were very cool.

Tanaka

Purple Belt
Reaction score

Hes still going.
He was just training Anderson Silva recently.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
interesting clip, i'd never seen that before.

The fact that his uke looks like he's only half Steven's size makes it look a bit funny, but I think Steven is something like 6'6"? I suppose that uke is probably pretty close to my size then...

mt1

White Belt
Reaction score
:angel: Sensei Steven Seagal is alright :)

Am continuing to enjoy his current dtv career

He appears to branch out in various martial arts aside from aikido?

Would love to see Seagal expand his talents in radio and in compact disc book formats too? Say in a radio mystery theater program?

Aikironin

Orange Belt
Reaction score

is the full unedited version, they are saying it is merv griffin show, whatever..

Last edited by a moderator:

Aikironin

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I could think of at least a half dozen others I would rather train with, Matsuoka would defninately be one. But S.Endo, S. Yamaguchi (Yes I know he has passed on but still would have been interesting) G. Shioda, R. Shirata, C. Tissier. M. Saito, Nidai and Sandai Doshu, that's just off the top. Seagal is good, but I would prefer less baggage from my instructors.

Latest Discussions