stepping

MarkC

Orange Belt
Reaction score
So then what would be the correct way to move in a forward stance or bow stance when doing forms or kata? Moving into and out of deep stances without c-stepping or half-moon stepping , or whateevr you wish to call it is pretty awkward.

RevIV

Black Belt
Reaction score
So then what would be the correct way to move in a forward stance or bow stance when doing forms or kata? Moving into and out of deep stances without c-stepping or half-moon stepping , or whateevr you wish to call it is pretty awkward.

I completly agree with you. But the more you work it the easier it becomes. We do a form that has a lot of back and forward stances in it, transitioning between the steps is very difficult at first but teaches a lot of body control.
When did the half-mooning make its way into Kenpo? Also, if half mooning is so bad why has it lasted throughout the generations?

Doc

Senior Master
Reaction score

That in and of itself, should tell you a lot.

Doc

Senior Master
Reaction score
When did the half-mooning make its way into Kenpo? Also, if half mooning is so bad why has it lasted throughout the generations?

This type of erroneous basics were introduced to kenpo through its many converts from other traditional styles who taught their old basics. You'll find many in kenpo that cling stubbornly to a Traditional Japanese cultural influence, that doesn't belong.

Bulletin: Kenpo in the Ed Parker lineage is non-traditional and is culturally American based. Traditional arts do traditional things, whether they make sense or are functional. I believe its called, uh let me see now ........ uh, oh yeah, tradition!.

LawDog

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Many boxers,kickboxers,Thai kickboxers and MMA stylist's still use the wide half moon type of stance. They seem to be very effictive in using it. I am not a fan of the "half mooning" type of foot work but I just look at it as a transitional move from one wide stance to another. The application of this foot work will determine if it is proper or not.
:ultracool

MarkC

Orange Belt
Reaction score
That in and of itself, should tell you a lot.

Hmmm. Should I infer :

A) Don't use deep forward stances. etc.
or
B) I need more practice in moving from and to such stances without half-moon stepping?

Doc

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hmmm. Should I infer :

A) Don't use deep forward stances. etc.
or
B) I need more practice in moving from and to such stances without half-moon stepping?

All stances have their purpose, and in most styles the deep forward stance is usually about traditional training and punching, in general. Offensively, they have no place in street encounters. Nobody is going to attack you with one. Defensively, they have no place in street encounters. You aren't going to defend yourself with one. Are you?

If you want to train leg strength, I always say drop the pretense and just go train your legs, and stop pretending you're going to use this "training" in a fight.

With the hodgepodge of modern arts and the blending of traditional and non-traditional, most "teachers" don't know which is which, and just keep doing what they were taught - right or wrong. It's called "traditional." Translation: "Do it this way because that's the way we do it."

MarkC

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I doubt I'd use a deep forward stance in a fight, true. I can probably say the same for a few more stances and techniques. I'm certainly never gonna use a jump spinning crescent kick on anybody! I doubt I'd ever stand in a horse stance to fight either, at least not facing straight on.
So what do we do? Ditch all the forms and drills that contain such things?
(I'm not being sarcastic).

Isn't this guy doing some half-moon stepping?

I have , of course, seen the same form and others without that stepping, so is it most likely a habit picked up somewhere else?

Last edited by a moderator:

DavidCC

Master of Arts
Reaction score
When utilizing footwork moving in a neutral bow correctly, each foot occupies a specific plane of travel, and maintains that plane relative to the pelvic girdle. The pelvic girdle and it's relative position to the feet in the footwork grid, are one of the determining factors as to whether the body perceives the movement as forward, or lateral.

If I read that reeeeeeal sloooowwwwly, it makes sense ;) thanks! That also gives me more detailed answer on why c-step 'confuses' the body.

OP
marlon

marlon

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
When stepping do you shift all the wieght to the non moving leg and at what point and in what manner do you shift it back? Do you drop the leg into place with all the weight there or do you gradually (not meaning slowly) shift the wieght to the other leg...?Could c-stepping be an exagerated drill of weight shifting that became a step in and of itself when that was never the original intention?

marlon

OP
marlon

marlon

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
When utilizing footwork moving in a neutral bow correctly, each foot occupies a specific plane of travel, and maintains that plane relative to the pelvic girdle. The pelvic girdle and it's relative position to the feet in the footwork grid, are one of the determining factors as to whether the body perceives the movement as forward, or lateral.

Fro the record the c-step is dropped from my curricullum. Logic must win out over tradition.

marlon

kidswarrior

Senior Master
Reaction score
Fro the record the c-step is dropped from my curricullum. Logic must win out over tradition.

marlon
Good for you! I took this step a few years ago, and know it takes some courage to buck s.th. so ingrained. :asian:

OP
marlon

marlon

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
kidswarrior and david cc,
what do you teach as timing and wieght distribution for stepping?
respectfully,
marlon

kidswarrior

Senior Master
Reaction score
kidswarrior and david cc,
what do you teach as timing and wieght distribution for stepping?
respectfully,
marlon
Wow, that's a heavy question, but I'll go with a general answer. I use the principle from Kung Fu San Soo (which blends well with my Kempo, and so which I've actively sought to synthesize for some time now), the foot lands at the same time as the strike/block/throwing/unbalancing act. While this is very general, it mostly holds true for my practice and ensures that the whole body is behind the contact. This may sound slow and clunky, but I assure you it's not. And it virtually guarantees that you'll gain and keep the initiative (since there's a greater chance you're hurting him with every move).

Hope that makes sense.

DavidCC

Master of Arts
Reaction score
ideally you want the momentum of your body movement to add to the force of the strike, right? AFAIK if the foot lands too early, that won't happen.