stepping

marlon

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I do not know if this is worthy of it's own thread. However, my question is does kempo teach to step full or empty. i know that when i was taught to half moon part of the purpose was to keep the non moving leg unwieghted and place the weight there after the foot has been placed, and the alignment problems with half mooning have a good thread of its own, but this is a separate idea, i think. what i mean is that normal walking is essentially falling onto the leg that moved gravity does the work and the weight is transfered at the same time that the foot is placed. One can also place the foot first then transfer the weight. which do you use and why would you see one way better than the other?

respectfully,
Marlon

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I do not know if this is worthy of it's own thread. However, my question is does kempo teach to step full or empty. i know that when i was taught to half moon part of the purpose was to keep the non moving leg unwieghted and place the weight there after the foot has been placed, and the alignment problems with half mooning have a good thread of its own, but this is a separate idea, i think. what i mean is that normal walking is essentially falling onto the leg that moved gravity does the work and the weight is transfered at the same time that the foot is placed. One can also place the foot first then transfer the weight. which do you use and why would you see one way better than the other?

respectfully,
Marlon
Fall into your motion. Its easier that way, takes less energy... etc.
Sean

OP
marlon

marlon

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
i do not know that 'falling' is the best thing. I realize that you need to move your weight into the strike. however, if one falls into the step there is more downward movement than forward movement...or options for movement to be more precise. To step first with the foot unweighted then shift the weight as you strike seems more controlled and has the benefit of better response to a dynamic situation.

respectfully,
Marlon

DavidCC

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I prefer to push my mass with my legs.

without moving your weight you can't really step very far in front of you, unless one leg is significantly longer.

Doc

Senior Master
Reaction score

respectfully,
Marlon

The foot is not "placed" until the transfer of its mass.

pete

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I prefer to push my mass with my legs.

without moving your weight you can't really step very far in front of you, unless one leg is significantly longer.
actually, the more you sink into the hip creas of one leg will determine the length of step in your other foot.

FeralKenpo

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
In a fight do you think that you will think about how you will move?(double think)
How I react is how I will move because it will be my most natural body mechanics.
(I don't mean to seem rude)
I understand you are just trying to get a better understanding, that's just how I look at it.

OP
marlon

marlon

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
In a fight do you think that you will think about how you will move?(double think)
How I react is how I will move because it will be my most natural body mechanics.
I understand you are just trying to get a better understanding, that's just how I look at it.

i think you will do what you have trained your self to do the most...whether that thing is correct or not.

Respectfully,
Marlon

MarkC

Orange Belt
Reaction score
So at the end of the day, half-moon stepping yes, or no?

karate-dragon

Orange Belt
Reaction score
half moon stepping yes in basics and forms because you learn balance, weight transference, etc. But you wouldn't use it in fighting. We were taught that it was to learn balance. As your moving unweighted foot came towards your planted foot you regained your balance briefly and then continued.

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Thats why we train and what you do in training is what you will do on the street. Thats the way it works. You will, of course, get sloppy in the heat of battle, but you will use the foundation you have provided yourself. I don't like this attitude about martial arts but I don't find it rude.
sean

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
It was the use of your own word. Basically, until you put the foot down, you haven't taken a "step."
Actually its until you have astablished a new base. Your foot can be down but not supporting your weight. (dodging ***** slaps)
Sean

Doc

Senior Master
Reaction score
half moon stepping yes in basics and forms because you learn balance, weight transference, etc. But you wouldn't use it in fighting. We were taught that it was to learn balance. As your moving unweighted foot came towards your planted foot you regained your balance briefly and then continued.

The idea that you would do this only for basics doesn't make sense. That's like saying, I'll train my blocks incorrectly, but I'll do them right when I need to use them for real.

"What you do is what you do. If what you do is NOT what you do, than what are you doing?" - Ed Parker.

DavidCC

Master of Arts
Reaction score
from a neutral bow, when doing a step-through, isn't the moving foot moving towards the stationary foot similar to the c-step motion? why doesn't this give the same false proprioceptive cue? is it because one actually IS side stepping??

I only c-step because my teacher still requires it, so when performing forms I will do it :/ my poor daughter sometimes bangs her ankles together but I am trying hard to break her of that :(

Doc

Senior Master
Reaction score
from a neutral bow, when doing a step-through, isn't the moving foot moving towards the stationary foot similar to the c-step motion? why doesn't this give the same false proprioceptive cue? is it because one actually IS side stepping?
When utilizing footwork moving in a neutral bow correctly, each foot occupies a specific plane of travel, and maintains that plane relative to the pelvic girdle. The pelvic girdle and it's relative position to the feet in the footwork grid, are one of the determining factors as to whether the body perceives the movement as forward, or lateral.

kidswarrior

Senior Master
Reaction score
The idea that you would do this only for basics doesn't make sense. That's like saying, I'll train my blocks incorrectly, but I'll do them right when I need to use them for real.

"What you do is what you do. If what you do is NOT what you do, than what are you doing?" - Ed Parker.
:rofl: