Stephen K. Hayes' To-Shin Do

theletch1

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
No that wasnt me... that was another member. I didnt have ANY protective gear on, just long pants and a Tshirt, and I hit the pavement rolling.
Grrr, then who the HELL was it? I gotta go search old threads now or it'll drive me crazy. :(

stone_dragone

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
If memory serves me right it was Stone Dragone. Could be hallucinating though :D.

Although I, too, was in an accident that ukemi (and a lot of luck) saved my life, I have no pics to post of the event...and since I kept my head tucked, my helmet was in good shape too!

Although one wouldn't know from my face, it actually didn't get messed up from the wreck!

So the search continues...

GBlues

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Here, let me paraphrase your very first post on this forum, and let's see if maybe that's why you're not getting answers:

:idunno:
Oh, and no one is teaching things as they were 5,000 years ago, simply because no system in Japan dates back that far...

No abla yapanese......DUDE :erg:

brycemaster

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Thought I'd just chip in as someone with nearly 5 years training in TSD, I have to say that Ukemi is definately taught, and taught damn well at that, as I was in an accident during a party when everyone went go-karting. I was smashed into sideways by some guy who thought he was driving an F1 car, and sent me out of the kart (which had no seatbelt!) towards a wall at 40 mph.

In the second or so I had, I rolled forward with my momentum and hit the wall with my shoulder instead of my head, breaking my collarbone. However, I much prefer that outcome to my head hitting a wall at 40MPH.

Plus I got back into my kart and carried on for another 15 or so minutes before the adrenaline wore off and I realised it really hurt turning the wheel left! :D

Long story short, not only has TSD saved me in the many fights I've somehow been involved in, but it saved me from some serious head injuries too!

ToShinDoKa

Green Belt
Reaction score
I now unofficially declare the name of this thread...UKEMI. :ultracool

But yeah, so let me see if I can talk about the thread topic...hmmm:

I personally enjoy SKHQuest.com's access to the Densho. They're updated pretty regularly, and I thoroughly enjoy An-Shu Hayes' observations on things pertaining to the arts, the past, and life in general. You guys should check it our sometime.

-Scott

Raynac

Green Belt
Reaction score
hmmmmm Im pretty sure when I was white belts weren't allowed to be thrown untill we knew how to break fall and I was taught rolls very early in my white belt days.

anyways stephen hayze the main topic... well I guess I hope to meet the man someday. He seems like a good guy and Im sure I could learn alot from him. alot it would be cool to just sit down and talk with him about his views on ninjutsu and To-Shin Do.

by the way when he and his wife dies who are the grandmasters. or has anyone thought about that yet?

brycemaster

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
hmmmmm Im pretty sure when I was white belts weren't allowed to be thrown untill we knew how to break fall and I was taught rolls very early in my white belt days.

anyways stephen hayze the main topic... well I guess I hope to meet the man someday. He seems like a good guy and Im sure I could learn alot from him. alot it would be cool to just sit down and talk with him about his views on ninjutsu and To-Shin Do.

by the way when he and his wife dies who are the grandmasters. or has anyone thought about that yet?

I've met Mr Hayes and he's a nice guy and intresting to talk to. But I didn't talk too much to him about training as we had been training in the UK seminar for 3 days in a row, and were having a well-deserved break at the pub! :D

As for "who are the grandmasters" (the proper tearm being an-shu, as Mr Hayes always says Hatsumi is the only grandmaster) and I would say this is pretty obvious as it will be the highest ranking members below Mr and Mrs Hayes. i.e. Mr Poliquin, Russo, Norris and Varnum as they are the other hombu shihan.

Raynac

Green Belt
Reaction score
I've met Mr Hayes and he's a nice guy and intresting to talk to. But I didn't talk too much to him about training as we had been training in the UK seminar for 3 days in a row, and were having a well-deserved break at the pub! :D

As for "who are the grandmasters" (the proper tearm being an-shu, as Mr Hayes always says Hatsumi is the only grandmaster) and I would say this is pretty obvious as it will be the highest ranking members below Mr and Mrs Hayes. i.e. Mr Poliquin, Russo, Norris and Varnum as they are the other hombu shihan.
Ohhh ok. I know Mr. Poliquin and Mr Varnum (feels weird not calling them John and Bret.) Thats cool thinking that they may be the next an-shu. That being said I hope stephen hayze lives many more long and healthy years.

Last edited:

newbee

White Belt
Reaction score
If we are talking about ukemi. I have to ask the question does ukemi have to do with just rolls and breakfalls? Or can it be used in a verticle position also?

Last edited:

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Is this the vampire thread then? The OP is 8 years old lol! this is it's third resurrection.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Is this the vampire thread then? The OP is 8 years old lol! this is it's third resurrection.
Well, we are coming up on Easter... A notoriously hard time of year to keep things dead and buried. ;)

Raynac

Green Belt
Reaction score

it is indeed a vampire thread, it just got a taste of some newblood that has joined the sight so now its alive again

Aiki Lee

Master of Arts
Reaction score
If we are talking about ukemi. I have to ask the question does ukemi have to do with just rolls and breakfalls? Or can it be used in a verticle position also?

ukemi refers to recieving. So while some of it deals with how to take a fall or throw it could also refer to the proper way to avoid or deflect certain blows I suppose.

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The word ukemi (in Japanese) refers to being defensive or passive.

In a martial arts context though it only refers to the context of breakfalls and rolls (that I know of).

There are other aspects to defense that don't involve falling, such as exhaling when taking a shot to the midsection or parrying away a punch. I have yet to see anyone working on parrying drills or a breathing exercise and saying they were working on their ukemi. ;)

elder999

El Oso de Dios!
Reaction score
The word ukemi (in Japanese) refers to being defensive or passive.

In a martial arts context though it only refers to the context of breakfalls and rolls (that I know of).

There are other aspects to defense that don't involve falling, such as exhaling when taking a shot to the midsection or parrying away a punch. I have yet to see anyone working on parrying drills or a breathing exercise and saying they were working on their ukemi. ;)

The word "uke" which is often used as "block," "parry", and any number of other things, really implies to receive. Taken in this context, blocks become a whole lot more, as do breakfalls, as do taking a shot to the midsection or parrying a punch......ukemi], though, really means "receiving a fall," and that's about all......

Bruno@MT

Senior Master
Reaction score
Ha, I missed the Ukemi doesn't work thing. I must be dead, since it doesn't work... it clearly didn't save my life when I was thrown headfirst from my motorcycle into oncoming traffic last summer...

Maybe we can start a 'Club of the Undead'. Because I clearly did not survive being launched headfirst onto the traffic lane when a car hit my bicycle. :D

Latest Discussions