step in the ring "why???"

D

daredevil

what is your motivation to step in the ring????

and don"t tell me you like pain.

OP
S

scouse130484

its the rush of addrenalin just before you get in

OP
B

Black Bear

It's a way of challenging myself to grow.

OP
R

RCastillo

All the above answers are good, but money is the only tangible thing to make up for pain, self satisfaction. It's the only thing that's real. :asian:

OULobo

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
1. Make the master happy
2. Test what I know
3. Face fear (nerves, fear of damage, fear of pain, fear of crowds, ect.)

OP
D

Disco

For my own personal assessment, I learned many years ago that stepping into the ring accomplishes nothing. In a ring I/you are fighting a trained opponent. You are under rules which prohibit many things that can be used. What it boils down to is who is the more gifted athlete. For some, entering the ring is the high point of their training. I applaud their courage and determination. But I have seen way to many people get hurt and hurt badly, to prove what?

OP
B

Black Bear

Disco, so would you say that you do not consider athleticism to be a worthwhile end?

OP
D

Disco

Disco, so would you say that you do not consider athleticism to be a worthwhile end?

Athleticism is a seperate entity. Looking from a simplistic viewpoint, the majority of people seeking the arts are doing it for personal self protection reasons. Self Defense is not predicated on the level of an individuals athletic ability. I'm sure that in your travels, you have encountered people that are to say the least - "Athleticly Challenged", but during the course of their training, learn to defend themselves quite well. Athleticism will always allow the individual to stand out, but it is not paramount to being able to survive.

:asian:

OP
M

markulous

By step in the ring I assume you mean a fight/match/tournament. I do it to see how well I adapt in a system and the feeling of fighting.

OP
B

Black Bear

Disco said:

Athleticism is a seperate entity. Looking from a simplistic viewpoint, the majority of people seeking the arts are doing it for personal self protection reasons. Self Defense is not predicated on the level of an individuals athletic ability. I'm sure that in your travels, you have encountered people that are to say the least - "Athleticly Challenged", but during the course of their training, learn to defend themselves quite well. Athleticism will always allow the individual to stand out, but it is not paramount to being able to survive.

I agree with everything you say here. But you said before that stepping into the ring "accomplishes nothing". Maybe what you meant is that it's not necessarily important for those whose goal is primarily sd, and that it's not for everyone.

OP
J

Jason Davis

When you are in a real fight or spar full contact with no pads and no real rules it is kind of like one of those video games that you pay $5.00 to play except you get to play it for free.

As far as for "getting in the ring" goes I guess it is the same. It's not nearly as fun though. Usually you have pads and their isn't really anything to worry about which takes all the excitement out of it. Well, except for the fact that you get to hit someone who you are in no way emotionally attached to like a class amate or a teacher so you don't have to feel bad if you get a good technique off on somebody.:)

OP
C

Chicago Green Dragon

To test the waters with what you got
and learn what is not...........

:boing2:

Chicago Green Dragon

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
"Stepping in the ring" be it for training or for money is the best way, short of going out and getting into a street fight, to test yourself. Its one thing to sit there and do a SD tech. against someone who is A) not really trying to hit you, and B) not being put under any stress. In the ring, if you dont block, you get hit...PERIOD!!! Its your own way of seeing whats gonna work best for you and whats not gonna work.

Mike

loki09789

Senior Master
Reaction score
MJS said:
"Stepping in the ring" be it for training or for money is the best way, short of going out and getting into a street fight, to test yourself. Its one thing to sit there and do a SD tech. against someone who is A) not really trying to hit you, and B) not being put under any stress. In the ring, if you dont block, you get hit...PERIOD!!! Its your own way of seeing whats gonna work best for you and whats not gonna work.
Mike

MJS, I agree with this statement in spirit, but Ring fighting can actually limit the techniques/applications and take away from SD training if it becomes TOO important to a training program or individual.

Joint attacks, groin attacks, vital area targeting and various hand striking techniques have to be modified so far that my particular 'SD' training might actually suffer with too much ring emphasis. Piggy backing on your reference to aliveness from past posts, I would say that SD training would benefit from a blend of Ring fighting and scenario training. Each has draw backs, but combined, they can cover a pretty good range.

I do agree that as far as fundamental blocking/evasiveness/timing/power strike delivery. mental toughness... it is the a safe way to know you either can or can not do it, or quite honestly take the shots that will inevidably get through.

INDYFIGHTER

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Keeping it real. When I started sparing at my school I was nervous and my adrinaline would start pumping. I was so tense that I would wear out in the first minute of the round. Now I've become too comfortable sparing my classmates. I've competed in one tournament and performing in front of so many people and against someone I'd never seen before and knew nothing about, not to mention competeing to win a tournament really got my blood flowing! I plan on doing more tournaments. Even if you don't win or don't think you were scored appropriatly you still can't beat the experiance you get. I'll get in the ring anytime. I'm sporting a partially black eye right now!

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
loki09789 said:
MJS, I agree with this statement in spirit, but Ring fighting can actually limit the techniques/applications and take away from SD training if it becomes TOO important to a training program or individual.

Joint attacks, groin attacks, vital area targeting and various hand striking techniques have to be modified so far that my particular 'SD' training might actually suffer with too much ring emphasis. Piggy backing on your reference to aliveness from past posts, I would say that SD training would benefit from a blend of Ring fighting and scenario training. Each has draw backs, but combined, they can cover a pretty good range.

I do agree that as far as fundamental blocking/evasiveness/timing/power strike delivery. mental toughness... it is the a safe way to know you either can or can not do it, or quite honestly take the shots that will inevidably get through.

You're absolutely correct, and I'm sure this post sounded the complete opposite of past ones, especially when I talk about aliveness. Both SD and ring fighting have their place and as I've said in the past, it depends on what the individual is looking for. Of course, even in SD training, you cant go all out with hits to the groin, but if you are wearing the proper gear, such as a red man suit, and yes I know they are not cheap, you can acheive that goal.

Sorry for the misunderstanding and I hope that this cleared it up a little.

Mike

loki09789

Senior Master
Reaction score
MJS said:
You're absolutely correct, and I'm sure this post sounded the complete opposite of past ones, especially when I talk about aliveness. Both SD and ring fighting have their place and as I've said in the past, it depends on what the individual is looking for. Of course, even in SD training, you cant go all out with hits to the groin, but if you are wearing the proper gear, such as a red man suit, and yes I know they are not cheap, you can acheive that goal.

Sorry for the misunderstanding and I hope that this cleared it up a little.

Mike

No misunderstanding, I knew how you were qualifying/limiting your response to the topic - not contradicting yourself. I was just agreeing with you, and commenting on where this type of ring fighting fits into my overall view of contact training.

Latest Discussions