Staying Alive part 2

Discussion in 'Women of the Martial Arts (Women Martial Artists)' started by KenpoTess, Sep 26, 2003.

1. KenpoTess

KenpoTess Sr. Grandmaster

• Martial Talk Alumni
    DON'T GET CAUGHT IN THIS TRAP.

(6.). Tips to saving your life, if you have gotten into a violent
    situation:

(a.) REACT IMMEDIATELY. If he abducts you in a parking lot, and is taking
    you to an abandoned area, DON'T LET HIM GET YOU TO THAT AREA. If you are
    driving, react immediately in the situation, and crash your car while still
    going 5 mph. If he's driving, find the right time, and stick your fingers
    in his eyes. He must watch the road, so choose an unsuspecting time, and
    gouge him. It is your ONLY defense. While he is in shock, GET OUT.
    (This sounds gross, but the alternative is your fault if you do not act.)

(b.) RESIST. Don't go along with him: run, if you are able: DON'T EVER
    GIVE UP! You DO NOT want to get to a crime scene.

(7.) Always keep your distance when walking past strangers on the street or
    in dark areas.

(8.) BREAK DOWNS: Make every effort to avoid this by ALWAYS keeping your
    car in good working order.

(a.) If your car breaks down and you have a cell phone: LOCK YOUR DOORS.
    Then call for help.

(b.) If it's noon on a business day in a populated area, you may want to
    put your hazards on and walk to safety.

(c.) If it's 2am near a populated area, put on your warm clothes, and walk
    to a lighted area. You are a perfect target if you are sitting in your car
    when it's broken down. Predators search the highways for easy targets like
    you.

(d.) If you're on a desolate road: walk away from the car (in your warm
    clothes) and go to some bushes, or some area AWAY from your vehicle. It
    will be cold, and uncomfortable, but you DO NOT want to stay in your car,
    and there are no psycho bogeymen waiting in the bushes who just knew you
    were going to break down there and then.

2. arnisador

arnisador Sr. Grandmaster

• Martial Talk Alumni
    This is crucially important advice. Allowing oneself to be taken to a remote location greatly imcreases the chances of being killed.

3. I cannot speak first hand on this statement, but I do have a family member who did this and avoided becoming a victim. My aunt who lives in Chicago was asked by a guy standing outside the store she just came out of to come help him get his car started (side note- No man will ever ask a woman or child to come help him with his car, especially if there are other men around. This is not meant to be a sexist statement, but that is just they way men think). She is a very friendly and trusting person so she went to help. He was parked in a side street which was not well lit and not used by anyone. As soon as they rounded the corner he grabbed her and tried to get her into his car and from what she told me she fought back and screamed and kicked and scratched. Needless to say he gave up and ran. Unfortunately he got away, but fortunately she was safe, sort of a win lose situation. He could try this on someone else and may get away with it. Anyway, I recommend that you read the book: The Gift Of Fear by Gavin Debecker. It covers a lot of the stuff you are talking about on these threads. It is an excellent book.

4. Ender

Ender Black Belt

I read somewhere that if the assailant has duct tape or rope, then you attack when he is messing with that because he must use at least one hand and is more vulnerable that way.

5. lvwhitebir

lvwhitebir Guest

Unfortunately, too many people wait for favorable conditions only to find that by the time they come, it's too late. While it's always best to attack when he's distracted, my advice is to just attack. Attackers want easy marks; they pick them that way. Usually they abandon the attack as soon as it's not going easily for them. They don't want a challenge, they want everything their way.

WhiteBirch

6. PricklyPear

PricklyPear White Belt

It can't be negative to learn how to defend oneself, but nobody can read the mind of an attacker no matter what they tell you. Is it always better to defend yourself? In most of the cases described, yes. But I did listen to a police officer admit one time that it's obviously not possible to predict what a criminal will do, because obviously not all criminals have the same personality and tactics. When I was much younger, I got in a bad situation with a man who twice my size at least and also a professional wrestler. Even if I had been a professional martial artist myself, I am quite sure that I wouldn't have stood a chance against him. Also, I was afraid to fight back because it was obvious that he could swat me away like a fly. What happened, happened because there were no people around. Could have defended myself by at least screaming? According to the philosophy of most of the posters, that would have been enough. I am sorry to say, you do not know exactly how every criminal thinks and it's just as likely that he could have put a hand over my mouth to stop me and also punched me to knock me out. It wouldn't have been hard for him to do. So learn to be safe, but don't deny reality.

7. Touch Of Death

Touch Of Death Sr. Grandmaster

• Martial Talk Alumni
    I had a friend that died for this reason.
    Sean

8. Stac3y

Stac3y Master Black Belt

When I was a teenager (before there WERE cell phones, can you believe it?) my car broke down in an area that was not desolate, but in an unfriendly part of town. A well-groomed, nice looking middle aged man stopped and got out of his car and tried to convince me that he was a police officer out of uniform and that he would drive me to a gas station. Fortunately, I was a suspicious kid and had taken some basic self defense, so I kept my car between him and myself and told him that the best way he could help would be to go to a telephone and call a squad car to assist me. After some attempted negotiation (he really wanted me to believe he was a cop) and jockeying for position around the car (I really didn't want him to get close to me), he finally gave up and drove off. Needless to say, no squad car arrived to help me; I fixed the car and went home.

Now, for all I know, this guy really was a well-intentioned police officer; there's no way for me to ever find out. What I do know for certain is that there was at least one active serial killer in the city at the time, and a serial rapist as well. I may have hurt some nice man's feelings, but I didn't get raped or killed, so, frankly, I don't care if I did. Too many women are victimized because they are trying to be nice and polite and not make a scene, so they don't listen to their instincts.

This post has some great advice, and I'm glad to see it up here.

9. Flea

Flea Beating you all over those fries!

• MartialTalk Mentor

I don't think any officer, regardless of intention, would do this.

10. Stac3y

Stac3y Master Black Belt

That was why I stayed the h3ll away from him. : )