Starting Martial Arts After 50

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
CONGRATS on 2nd kyu, massive step! How did the grading go, how did you pull up the next day? Well done :)

And great attitude to have regarding just wanting a fresh start, and not pushing to grade faster. I'm the same in that I'm there to learn and become better, sometimes looking only at the belts can stifle that true progress I reckon. And of course mainly there for the enjoyment of training itself, where it leads me is up to where it leads me :)
Thanks, Simon.

The test went great. Other than the sparring, it was actually the least physically demanding test I’ve taken. There were 4 of us testing. Each of us had a 4th dan and up at our side at all times. I had our CI’s right hand man with me all night. I did every standardized thing - every kata, 1 step, yakusoku kumite, kihon kumite, etc. in our syllabus with him (6th dan) following me and critiquing me. Over a full hour of it. He did every partner drill with me, making sure if I didn’t block properly I was going to get hit, which happened twice. For the first time, there weren’t any curveballs; it was all straight forward ‘show me x. Go.’

Then we sparred - 2 shodans, 2 yondans, and 1 6th dan. 3 minute rounds, going through the line of them twice. So 30 minutes straight; the only break was bowing to start, get back to the line, and bowing to finish. They didn’t take it easy. But they certainly didn’t treat me like a punching bag either.

I physically feel fine today. I noticed several new bruises when I put my forearms on my desk though :) I guess the adrenaline masked it last night.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks, Simon.

The test went great. Other than the sparring, it was actually the least physically demanding test I’ve taken. There were 4 of us testing. Each of us had a 4th dan and up at our side at all times. I had our CI’s right hand man with me all night. I did every standardized thing - every kata, 1 step, yakusoku kumite, kihon kumite, etc. in our syllabus with him (6th dan) following me and critiquing me. Over a full hour of it. He did every partner drill with me, making sure if I didn’t block properly I was going to get hit, which happened twice. For the first time, there weren’t any curveballs; it was all straight forward ‘show me x. Go.’

Then we sparred - 2 shodans, 2 yondans, and 1 6th dan. 3 minute rounds, going through the line of them twice. So 30 minutes straight; the only break was bowing to start, get back to the line, and bowing to finish. They didn’t take it easy. But they certainly didn’t treat me like a punching bag either.

I physically feel fine today. I noticed several new bruises when I put my forearms on my desk though :) I guess the adrenaline masked it last night.
Sounds like a tough test you were well prepared for.

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Sounds like a tough test you were well prepared for.
Not to pat myself on the back or anything, but I know the material very well (a lot of that comes from my previous experience). Had I not known it well, it would’ve been a very long night. One of the others testing made a few mistakes. Every time he did, it was along the lines of “that’s supposed to be a high punch, not a middle punch. Start over.” Oddly enough I didn’t make any mistakes like that, so I didn’t repeat anything. It was just so odd in that everything was so straightforward. I was actually waiting for a huge curveball that never came.

The only time I didn’t have that 6th dan stuck to me like Velcro was when my CI told the black belts to put on their sparring gear and warm up. We did about 5-10 minutes of kihon during that time. Then it was straight into sparring. That’s when it got physically tough.

The oddest test I’ve taken. In a good way though.

Tames D

RECKLESS
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Thanks, Simon.

Congrats!

_Simon_

Senior Master
Reaction score
Thanks, Simon.

Ah that's awesome to hear. Whenever those curveballs are thrown in there that's when I get shocked haha. Like one junior grading we started out having to do a supported handstand for a minute, something that was only usually a senior grading (4th kyu and up) thing. Or a another where our 'warmup' was doing something like 100 mae keage and yoko keage..

Yeah can be daunting when you're watched so closely, but great that he was that committed to you doing well.

Ah the sparring is always fun haha.. absolutely exhausting but it flies by in a whirlwind hey! Yet lasts an eternity too somehow XD. I love hearing about other people's gradings..

Good on ya :)

OP
mrt2

mrt2

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Third update. Still here and still training. So instead of waiting a month and testing for yellow next month (which is what I thought I was going to do), the master told me to test this week for high white, which I did. So, apparently, I don't get to skip ranks, but he did promote me a rank after just 4 weeks of training. I thought I was going to wait another month then test for yellow. No real explanation as I was told different things from the master and various assistant instructors, including the master's son over the last couple of weeks, but I guess it doesn't really matter since at this juncture, I think I am the lowest ranking adult at the dojang, whatever belt I earn.

I did run into a guy I know from my work the other day picking up his young son from TKD. He told me he used to practice MA 30 or 35 years ago. I suggested he join as it would give him a chance to train with his son, and besides, he and I would be perfect sparring partners as we are both about the same age, size, and skill level. He said he would think about it.

Last edited:

_Simon_

Senior Master
Reaction score
Third update. Still here and still training. So instead of waiting a month and testing for yellow next month (which is what I thought I was going to do), the master told me to test this week for high white, which I did. So, apparently, I don't get to skip ranks, but he did promote me a rank after just 4 weeks of training. I thought I was going to wait another month then test for yellow. No real explanation as I was told different things from the master and various assistant instructors, including the master's son over the last couple of weeks, but I guess it doesn't really matter since at this juncture, I think I am the lowest ranking adult at the dojang, whatever belt I earn.

I did run into a guy I know from my work the other day picking up his young son from TKD. He told me he used to practice MA 30 or 35 years ago. I suggested he join as it would give him a chance to train with his son, and besides, he and I would be perfect sparring partners as we are both about the same age, size, and skill level. He said he would think about it.

Ah nice mate, congratulations on your grading :). Still props to you, they must have felt like you were ready for it. Great work on your progress :)

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score

A ton of people “think about it.” I hate to be that guy, but don’t get your hopes up.

Congratulations on the promotion. My advice is don’t get caught up in the whole belt color/rank and timetable thing. It’ll all work itself out. And regarding what a few different instructors and the head guy’s son told you, you’ll learn quickly to take all of that with a grain of salt and just go by what the CI (chief instructor) says and does.

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
A ton of people “think about it.” I hate to be that guy, but don’t get your hopes up.

Congratulations on the promotion. My advice is don’t get caught up in the whole belt color/rank and timetable thing. It’ll all work itself out. And regarding what a few different instructors and the head guy’s son told you, you’ll learn quickly to take all of that with a grain of salt and just go by what the CI (chief instructor) says and does.
God no joke there....I remember when I was younger when I first started kenpo I had a friend who started training before me...he didn't want to be there his parents forced him. He liked the idea of doing karate but put no work or no effort in and he was given his belts because the instructor worked for his dad which pissed me off because I always put 100% into every test I ever did but anyway.

He eventually stopped coming when he was old enough I carried on and trained in other styles as well he'd get in contact every few months saying hey I'm going to come train but when it came to it he had an excuse every time so I just started ignoring him. I hate people like that if you want to train come and train if you don't then don't waste my time saying you're coming

OP
mrt2

mrt2

Brown Belt
Reaction score
God no joke there....I remember when I was younger when I first started kenpo I had a friend who started training before me...he didn't want to be there his parents forced him. He liked the idea of doing karate but put no work or no effort in and he was given his belts because the instructor worked for his dad which pissed me off because I always put 100% into every test I ever did but anyway.

He eventually stopped coming when he was old enough I carried on and trained in other styles as well he'd get in contact every few months saying hey I'm going to come train but when it came to it he had an excuse every time so I just started ignoring him. I hate people like that if you want to train come and train if you don't then don't waste my time saying you're coming
Actually I can relate. Way back when I studied Tang Soo Do, there was a guy who convinced me to train with him, except that he was like your friend; he liked the idea of practicing Martial Arts, but didn't especially like to put in the work. After we tested for orange he started to lose interest, since we no longer were in white belt class and thus, the workouts became a bit more strenuous. Then one day on one of the rare days he actually showed up, he started to give me crap after class about how I needed to show him more respect. Respect for what? Anyway, we put our uniforms back on and settled our dispute in the dojang. I don't remember how our little sparring match ended. Probably pretty pathetic display, but a higher colored belt, I think maybe a high green or red belt saw what happened and a few weeks later told me I am better off not wasting my time with guys like that, that guys like that come and go, but they don't usually last.

But that is a case of youth and immaturity. In the case of guys my age who are thinking about it, the thought process might be a little different. Until I got started, I wondered if 1. I still could physically do martial arts, 2. if I was going to hurt myself, or just look ridiculous. So I found out the answers, are 1 yes, 2 no, and 3 probably yes. :)

OP
mrt2

mrt2

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Ok, so update. Feeling pretty good about things right now. If things go as planned, I will likely test for yellow belt next month. After that, the intervals might get longer between tests, which is fine as I cannot race through the ranks. I haven't trained in 35 years. It is going to take some time to get back. And besides, TKD has a lot of curriculum I still need to learn and master so all that will take time.. (Forms, basics, kick combos, one steps, linears).

So, I didn't pull a hamstring or groin throwing my first kick. But most of my kicks are waist high at best. And I have a ways to go on my conditioning as well. (this is part of why I did this)

So my immediate goals are.
1. To not be the lowest ranking adult at my dojang. This might happen if some adult joins tomorrow, or it might happen because some adults don't train that often, and hence don't test that often.
2. To not be the fattest guy in every class. This will take some work as there aren't many guys over 250 lbs training, which means I need to lose 50 or 60 lbs.

_Simon_

Senior Master
Reaction score
Ok, so update. Feeling pretty good about things right now. If things go as planned, I will likely test for yellow belt next month. After that, the intervals might get longer between tests, which is fine as I cannot race through the ranks. I haven't trained in 35 years. It is going to take some time to get back. And besides, TKD has a lot of curriculum I still need to learn and master so all that will take time.. (Forms, basics, kick combos, one steps, linears).

So, I didn't pull a hamstring or groin throwing my first kick. But most of my kicks are waist high at best. And I have a ways to go on my conditioning as well. (this is part of why I did this)

So my immediate goals are.
1. To not be the lowest ranking adult at my dojang. This might happen if some adult joins tomorrow, or it might happen because some adults don't train that often, and hence don't test that often.
2. To not be the fattest guy in every class. This will take some work as there aren't many guys over 250 lbs training, which means I need to lose 50 or 60 lbs.
Great stuff mate, am enjoying reading your updates, keep em comin :).

And yeah I reckon just take your time with it all there's no rush, especially your grade and also your weight too.

kravmaga1

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Learning martial arts after the age of 50 is ok. If you want to do it, then definitely do it.But before then you should understand the capability of your body. If you have the capability and the potential, then go for it.

Ryan_

Green Belt
Reaction score
"Has anybody else returned to martial arts after a 30 plus year hiatus? Anybody switch from one style to another? Any issues that have come up (other than perhaps instructors who are half your age)?"

I can't comment on the hiatus.. I'm not even 20 years old, nevermind being able to have a hiatus that long. However, I did have a 4 year hiatus which led to me switching my style from Choi Kwang Do to Ninpo Taijutsu and no, I don't think there will be any issues provided you find an art which is suitable for your capabilities and that the instructor is competent. An instructor being half your age is not a problem if they know what they are teaching and are well-qualified.

OP
mrt2

mrt2

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Another update. So I just took and passed my test for yellow belt. Even broke a board. First board break since 1982. Last board break I did was a jump kick over my head. Todays was a side kick just about waist high. But I broke it cleanly.

The Master did mildly reprimand me on my citing the meaning of my yellow belt form. So I read the short paragraph, memorized the main points, and recited them back in bullet point form. The Master said, next time, recite the meaning of the form EXACTLY how it is written on the page of the student manual. That surprised me. I figured the rote memorization thing was something he did for his younger students. But, his school, his rules. :(

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Another update. So I just took and passed my test for yellow belt. Even broke a board. First board break since 1982. Last board break I did was a jump kick over my head. Todays was a side kick just about waist high. But I broke it cleanly.

The Master did mildly reprimand me on my citing the meaning of my yellow belt form. So I read the short paragraph, memorized the main points, and recited them back in bullet point form. The Master said, next time, recite the meaning of the form EXACTLY how it is written on the page of the student manual. That surprised me. I figured the rote memorization thing was something he did for his younger students. But, his school, his rules. :(

Congrats on the test and the break.
His school, his rules, yes. But it does seem odd to me. What was the form and what was the meaning?

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score

Congrats...hmm that's a bit weird having to word for word recite a form meaning from a book...I could understand that for black belt I guess but not yellow belt and even then word for word seems a bit extreme as long as you can explain it

OP
mrt2

mrt2

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Congrats on the test and the break.
His school, his rules, yes. But it does seem odd to me. What was the form and what was the meaning?
Chon - Ji, which means Heaven and Earth.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Chon - Ji, which means Heaven and Earth.

That's certainly one commonly used definition. Although, if I'm not mistaken, chonji (천지) literally translates as "world" with no reference to Heaven. I've also heard it translated as "heaven-light" (not Heaven-Lite, before someone makes that pun...). From those literal translations, I can see how you'd get to "heaven & earth."
Again, it's interesting that rote memorization is expected.