Starting Martial Arts After 50

Discussion in 'Beginners Corner' started by mrt2, Mar 1, 2018.

1. drop bear

drop bear Sr. Grandmaster

I martial art in spandex. And I look awesome.

Haters gonna hate.

• Funny Funny x 1
  2. jobo

jobo Senior Master

yes i started again after near 30 year at age 56, i found fitness a lit easier to come by than flexability, 3 years on and any kick above the waist is still an impossible dream

3. taistrong

taistrong White Belt

It is never too late to try! Best of luck! And make sure you start slow first...

4. oftheherd1

oftheherd1 Senior Master

You will find a lot of people who get a late start, whether for the first time or after a long time away. As already mentioned, go for it and do what your body will let you do.

Welcome to MT and back to martial arts.

5. drop bear

People are definitely doing it.

6. mrt2

mrt2 Blue Belt

Update. So I finished up my first week of TKD and the good news is, I feel pretty good. I am starting to remember why I liked it so much during my high school years. And the good news is, I seem to get the same mental boost from TKD as I get from outdoor cycling, which is a good thing as with cycling, I am limited somewhat by wet, or cold,weather. And, cycling is a much longer time committment, to really get the mental boost. As the days get longer, and tonight is when we change the clocks back, I plan to ride my bike to the dojang as a warmup, and home as a cool down.

I learned the first two beginner forms, which are if not identical, pretty close to identical as the white belt forms I remember from Tang Soo Do. Basic kicks are starting to come back to me.

I actually feel pretty good after class. My hips and back are a little sore, but honestly I expected to feel worse than I do for not having done this in so many years.

• Like Like x 2
  7. drop bear

Nice work.

8. _Simon_

_Simon_ Master Black Belt

Ah that's really great to hear mate, there's nothing like that feeling of remembering why you loved something :). And really cool that alot of stuff has come back to you, I swear those drills and techniques just stick don't they...

And the fact that you're only a little sore is a great sign, just pay extra attention to proper warning up and training smart, and you'll be flyyyyyyin.

Happy for ya! :)

9. Xue Sheng

Xue Sheng All weight is underside

• Supporting Member
    That is great to hear, I am happy it is working out for you...enjoy the training

10. AngryHobbit

AngryHobbit Senior Master

I am younger than you, but I have some nasty skeletal and genetic issues that make training complicated. I took an 6-year long hiatus from nihon goshin aikido (I was a brown belt at the time - an assistant instructor rank) when I was 34, because that was the year my immune system decided to tank. Came back 2.5 years ago and keeping at it.

I am not training as much as I used to before the hiatus, but making a steady progress. I also found I had to supplement martial arts training with additional fitness classes to address the issues of flexibility, muscle stiffness, joint pain, overall stamina, etc. So, I take some high-impact cardio classes (zumba, step, and POUND) and vinyasa yoga. They work pretty well together, because each one contributes to a different aspect of my martial arts training.

• Like Like x 1
  11. AngryHobbit

Tell her she is a hero! Wow! 73. That is out there! I want to grow up just like her.

• Like Like x 1
  12. AngryHobbit

I love my uniform - it's like pajamas. Oh... wait... it IS kind of pajamas. Samurai pajamas. :)

Seriously, when it comes to training and fitness, I agree with folks favoring function over fashion. Does it stay on? Is it comfortable? Can you move in it? Can other people move you in it?

That said, sometimes it's fun to shock young people. I do it in zumba and in step a lot - when I show up among all the super-skinny girls young enough to be my daughters, with my chubby hobbit self, in a hot pink techno fabric top and a micromini sports bottom. Good times!

13. Marie_Flowers88

Marie_Flowers88 Yellow Belt

I just come across this thread. I just want to say that nothing is too late unless you chose not to try it. Good luck! Do what you want. Life is too short to have doubts :) Hope I made sense.

• Like Like x 1
  14. mrt2

mrt2 Blue Belt

Maybe I have become spoiled by some of my technical fabric cycling gear, but my Polyesther/Cotton blend Tae Kwon Do uniform doesn't seem to breath all that well. I wear compression underwear and a Craft or Under Armor compression T shirt under my uniform, but I am wondering why nobody has come up with a Karate or Tae Kwon Do uniform with similar properties as the base layers I wear underneath.

15. AngryHobbit

@gpseymour , what is my gi made of? It's just coarse cotton, right? Doesn't feel like a polyblend - if it is, the polyester content must be super-low. At this point, I've worn and washed it down to awesome pajama-like softness.

Don't get me wrong, I love me some good, moisture-wicking, breathable techno fabric. I use it for all my high-impact cardio stuff. And I love, love, love it for mud runs - it sheds dirt and dries quickly, so it doesn't get nearly as soggy and weighted-down as other fabrics.

16. gpseymour

gpseymour Sr. Grandmaster

Top Poster Of Month

• Supporting Member
    I think yours is just cotton. Mine is. An entire field of it, I think.

17. gpseymour

gpseymour Sr. Grandmaster

Top Poster Of Month

• Supporting Member
    I think a lot of it is durability and cost. A cheap gi made of tech fabric would fall apart. A judo gi made of tech fabric probably would stretch out of proportion. I've seen some BJJ uniforms using non-cotton fabrics, and they probably get a lot of pull and tug, so they must hold up, but they can't be as flexible and light as tech fabric tshirts.

18. mrt2

mrt2 Blue Belt

I am thinking it must be cost. My old uniform from back in the day was 100% cotton, but the ones my new dojang uses are poly/cotton blend. I get the whole tradition thing, but there must be a way to blend the moisture wicking properties of technical fabric into a garment that looks like a traditional martial arts uniform.

19. drop bear

Because you have to wear the uniform they give you.

My jujitsu gi is cotton. But the mess around with the weave to make it lighter.

20. JR 137

JR 137 Senior Master

The blended ones you’re imagining are out there. And they’re a few hundred dollars. And reportedly they’re not very durable, meaning that they’re primarily worn for competition and not day in and day out training.

I think part of the benefit of stuff like my under armour t-shirts is the thinness of the material. I’d imagine if they were heavy enough for a karate gi, they’d be far less effective at wicking than 100% cotton would be.

If you wear a karate-style gi (non-v-neck pullover), look into higher end brands that use the Japanese cotton. Shureido, and Tokaido come to mind immediately. Hirota allegedly uses more or less the same material, but I haven’t seen them to confirm.

I sweat a lot. The only gi that’s comfortable for me is the Shureido K-11, which is their middleweight all cotton gi. It’s very breathable, soft, and comfortable. Yet it’s heavy enough to take some abuse and not get all out of shape. At $185, it ain’t exactly cheap. But wearing cheaper gis in the past has justified than cost of it to me. I still occasionally wear a Ronin heavyweight gi that’s about $75. The only time I’ll wear it is when the two Shureidos I own aren’t clean. And I hate to sound like a primadonna, but I really can’t stand wearing it anymore. Way too hot and uncomfortable.