Starting Light Sparring

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I picture a fantasy world where sparring consists of dropping dislikes upon each other's head, body and messages.

Oh, the humanity.

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
My mistake. By useful, I mean efficient. A straight punch is faster

In what situation would an uppercut to the body be the most efficient?
The time that it lands....just because it's faster doesn't mean it's better. A straight punch is also easier to block because it's coming straight at you and it's hard to hide but am uppercut comes from a different angle from the lower line so it's more difficult to see. Also it's sparring not a real fight the whole point is to try new things but you seem determined to be against an uppercut even though you came here asking for help

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Straight punches in any system/style are easier to avoid and block. What strikes are 'allowed' in light sparring, in fact what is light sparring? Is it the precursor to proper sparring? Is there a point to 'light' sparring other than just feeling one is actually fighting...but not?

pgsmith

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I've accidentally done some light sparring. The Mrs. yelled at me even after I replaced the light. Said I was banned from practicing in the living room. :(

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
IMO, 'light sparring' is sparring that is done at a measured pace, with engagement defined and controlled by the parties involved. In our dojo, light sparring is often done without protective gear, the idea is no one is going to get bloodied up even if they miss a block or walk into a punch. Often done with newer students where the senior partner simply throws slow easy punches to get the newer student to get used to moving, blocking, deflecting, etc; speed is added as the confidence level rises. Sometimes it's a give-and-take between two more evenly-matched students, but again, at a measured pace with no intent to show off, hurt, etc. Just basic working techniques. If one gets tagged, they might say "do that again, slowly, show me how you did that," and so on. It's a partnership, not a contest.

Now, despite mister kyu belt knowing more than me and disliking my suggestions, I am going to repeat one last time that an uppercut is faster than a straight punch if the uppercut lands and the straight punch does not. Speed is relative to effect, my fine young cannibal, whether you like it or not. If I'm not there when your straight punch lands, but my uppercut creases your jaw, I win, and my punch was faster because it actually *was* a punch.

Regarding uppercuts. An Isshinryu uppercut is a straight punch anyway, as I also said. Yes, I'm aware that there are many kinds of uppercuts. I don't know how everyone does theirs, I just know how we do ours, and trust me, it's as straight as an arrow; it just comes up at an angle. There's no boxer's curve on it. Yes, we use our hips. We use our hips for just about everything. But of course, people with no knowledge of our system are free to tell me how wrong I am about it - getting a lot of that today, so what the heck, bring it.

Not entirely sure why mister hatey mc hatington is unhappy with my posts, seeing as he asked a question and I tried my best to answer it, but I'll give it one more chance before he goes onto my ignore list.

Have a good day, everyone. I'm heading off to the dojo. To, you know, actually train.

Latest Discussions