Starting Light Sparring

marques

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
As you begin, remember to apply your training. Technique often goes out the window.
What goes out of the window is not the technique. Actual technique sticks with you all times because you already forgot the old (untrained) way. :) And technique can be even refined on well conducted sparring.

Last edited:

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Did the OP ever start sparring? I'm curious to know how it turned out after all of the advice.

OP
R

RidiculousName

White Belt
Reaction score
You can uppercut to the body
How would you get your opponent to bend over during light sparring unless you were out of reach otherwise? We're Karateka, we fight while standing straight up.

As for combos keep it simple, up to 3 techniques. At least to start.
1 - Jab or front kick or some other straight strike.
2 - hit where your opponent is open (or were you managed to create an opening)
3 - your power technique to finish
Probably your opponent will defend everything and yet counter. It is like this. At some point it will start working.

I am sure YouTube is plenty of combos suggestions. Kickboxing and Thai Boxing is combos all day.

Thank for the clarification. Every style or organisation has a different belt system... In that case I imagine you are training for a few years and I agree it is time to start sparring with some regularity, if not started before.
Thanks, you've got my situation correct.

I don't think I have ever been able to light spar to the body. It always gets heavy.
What do you hit when you light spar?

OP
R

RidiculousName

White Belt
Reaction score
Did the OP ever start sparring? I'm curious to know how it turned out after all of the advice.
Sparring is only on the last Thursday of every month. Dunno why we didn't do it last time, but I assume it's been postponed.

EDIT:
Forgot to mention, I still plan to spar.

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
How would you get your opponent to bend over during light sparring unless you were out of reach otherwise? We're Karateka, we fight while standing straight up.

Thanks, you've got my situation correct.

What do you hit when you light spar?
Why would you need them to bend over to throw an uppercut to the body if they bent over it'd be harder to uppercut the body as it's further away..

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We're Karateka, we fight while standing straight up.

You may do that in your style but most karateka don't stand straight up, a straight back isn't much good, far too stiff.

OP
R

RidiculousName

White Belt
Reaction score
You may do that in your style but most karateka don't stand straight up, a straight back isn't much good, far too stiff.

Maybe I wasn't clear. I'm just saying Karateka don't hunch forward like boxers. I'm trying to understand why an uppercut to the body would be useful during light sparring.

Why would you need them to bend over to throw an uppercut to the body if they bent over it'd be harder to uppercut the body as it's further away..
You've lost me.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
[QUOTE="RidiculousName, post: 1854491, member: 37236"

What do you hit when you light spar?[/QUOTE]

Anything I can reach pretty much.

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
Maybe I wasn't clear. I'm just saying Karateka don't hunch forward like boxers. I'm trying to understand why an uppercut to the body would be useful during light sparring.

You've lost me.
I said you can uppercut to the body you said how would I be able to get him to bend over...you don't need him to bend over to uppercut him in the body....as for why it would be useful....well for the same reason a roundhouse kick is useful or a jab, it's something than can hit your opponent with so why not throw it

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score

You've lost me.

Boxers don't hunch 'forward' as such. The shoulders are rounded, the neck 'pulled' down, but not forward, that would stick their chin out, the last thing a boxer would do.

All strikes are useful during sparring, the 'lightness' of it is irrelevant.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Not all Karateka stand the same. Not all Karateka fight the same, either.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Not all Karateka stand the same. Not all Karateka fight the same, either.

If it was body sparring I would lean towards the kyokushin method though. They do seem to have a handle on that.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
If it was body sparring I would lean towards the kyokushin method though. They do seem to have a handle on that.

What is "body sparring"?

OP
R

RidiculousName

White Belt
Reaction score
My mistake. By useful, I mean efficient. A straight punch is faster
Boxers don't hunch 'forward' as such. The shoulders are rounded, the neck 'pulled' down, but not forward, that would stick their chin out, the last thing a boxer would do.

All strikes are useful during sparring, the 'lightness' of it is irrelevant.
In what situation would an uppercut to the body be the most efficient?

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Only if it lands.

When it lands.

Anyway, a karate uppercut is nothing like a boxers uppercut. Different strike, same name.
There are many ways to through uppercut and almost as many ways to drive the power of the uppercut. Uppercuts are also underrated, but I guess many people are afraid of punching the elbows.

Latest Discussions