Starting Light Sparring

RidiculousName

White Belt
Reaction score
Hello, I'm a 7th-kyu belt in my karate system. I've hardly sparred at all before because my old dojo was small, and most there didn't have the interest. I want to ask, what are some good resources to learn about light-sparring, and what can I do to train for it?

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Hello, I'm a 7th-kyu belt in my karate system. I've hardly sparred at all before because my old dojo was small, and most there didn't have the interest. I want to ask, what are some good resources to learn about light-sparring, and what can I do to train for it?
I'm not sure what it is you want to research?, its taking the things you have spent years learning and try and hit someone, (whilst your oppoinent does the same), but only lightly.

try it, if your slow, practise speed, if you run out of puff, do some cardio, if you keep missing practise accuracy,

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
There's only one way to practice sparing and that's by sparing you can do all your kicks and punches of course and shadow box and that will obviously help but there's nothing special to do to train fro it

CB Jones

Senior Master
Reaction score
Find someone in your area that is interested in sparring.

What is your location?

marques

Master Black Belt
Reaction score

I don't know 'some good resources'. I bought the books 1 and 2 of Xavier Zen (on Amazon) and Sparring, by Bob Breen. I don't know if I can call them good, but for sure there are good tips in there.

I may give some tips for free:
- Rather than allowing everything all times, limit the sparring to punches, kicks, throwings... or some other subset of your style.
- Similar to the previous, you have your own goal for the sparring session, ex: one technique, footwork, feints, short distance, long distance... but your partner is not aware of that.
- Start light AND slow. This way probably you will see more, understand more and get fewer injuries. Over time, if you feel confident you can increase speed.
- No emotions (fear) involved when starting. The first sparring sessions are already complicated without that factor. You should be relaxed (as far as possible), thinking about your technique, strategy... instead of panic reactions.

This is what I remember right now and I think the most important (to me) is here. 7th kyu is like the 3rd belt, right? If so, the sparring should complement the rest of the training and should be fun, motivating. But too much sparring too earlier may damage your technique. Keep it under control. Within some conditions, sparring is the part of (my) training. I hope you enjoy it, too.

Midnight-shadow

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
I'm guessing you are wondering what "light sparring" entails, and that is something you can only learn by doing it, as everyone has their own definition on what "light sparring" is. What I will say is that when you do the sparring, make sure you communicate with your partner. If they are going too hard or giving you too much stress, you need to tell them. Both participants should be fighting at a comfortable level in terms of intensity. To me, sparring is not about winning or losing, but about learning and improving, so when you strike your opponent, it should be a definite hit (i.e. not a glancing blow) but it shouldn't really hurt. If you get hit you should be aware of being hit, but with no pain or injury resulting from it.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I want to ask, what are some good resources to learn about light-sparring, and what can I do to train for it?
Have some one punch you lightly and you punch them lightly in return is better than reading resources. Make sure you ask your sparring partner to be tricky and sneaky. There really isn't any substitute for sparring. There things that deal with awareness of movement and timing that you can't learn unless someone is trying to hit you.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Um..... Otherwise. Don't turn your back and keep your eyes open.

Don't even turn your head. Try to keep good fighting posture and let your defences defend you.

Cooltkd

White Belt
Reaction score
imo sparring is a vital part of martial arts. you may have to entertain the idea of going to another dojo...

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
As you begin, remember to apply your training. Technique often goes out the window.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Technique often goes out the window.
Understatement. People do 10+ years of training, get into a little bit of sparring and it's like they never trained a day in their life. It's like they abandon their training and don't even try to do the techniques.

Flatfish

Black Belt
Reaction score
Breathe, breathe, breathe. It's very easy in the beginning to be so focused (and riled up) during sparring that you forget to breathe.....that will make you tired very very quickly. Another thing that is hard to do in the beginning is to relax and not tense up. I had to learn that all over again when I switched from a striking art to a grappling art because things are different, you're not used to it you tense up.

OP
R

RidiculousName

White Belt
Reaction score
First, sorry for the late reply.

I think some people are misunderstanding here. I'm already at another dojo that does light sparring. That's why I want to learn.

I was hoping for more information regarding how to do shadow-boxing, work on combinations, suggestions for combinations, stuff like that.

This is what I remember right now and I think the most important (to me) is here. 7th kyu is like the 3rd belt, right?

I may have misunderstood, but essentially I'm slightly more than half the way to my first dan.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
First, sorry for the late reply.

I think some people are misunderstanding here. I'm already at another dojo that does light sparring. That's why I want to learn.

I was hoping for more information regarding how to do shadow-boxing, work on combinations, suggestions for combinations, stuff like that.

I may have misunderstood, but essentially I'm slightly more than half the way to my first dan.
sparring is like swimming, you have jump in and try to use the techniques that you learn. At times it may not seem like you are making progress, but just keep doing your best and you'll learn on the way.

There's no quick way to learn how to spar. Every partner is like a new lesson.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Do this one it is hilarious.

Fake out to the left with a jab. Then uppercut them with your right. It comes off pretty reliably and is embarrassing as anything to get caught buy it.

OP
R

RidiculousName

White Belt
Reaction score
Do this one it is hilarious.

Fake out to the left with a jab. Then uppercut them with your right. It comes off pretty reliably and is embarrassing as anything to get caught buy it.
Can't uppercut. body shots only. :)

marques

Master Black Belt
Reaction score

As for combos keep it simple, up to 3 techniques. At least to start.
1 - Jab or front kick or some other straight strike.
2 - hit where your opponent is open (or were you managed to create an opening)
3 - your power technique to finish
Probably your opponent will defend everything and yet counter. It is like this. At some point it will start working.

I am sure YouTube is plenty of combos suggestions. Kickboxing and Thai Boxing is combos all day.

Thank for the clarification. Every style or organisation has a different belt system... In that case I imagine you are training for a few years and I agree it is time to start sparring with some regularity, if not started before.

Latest Discussions