Starting back after 5 years, finally!

BrandonLucas

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
So I'm starting back to class tonight after 5 years of being out of TKD. I went to another school breifly about a year ago, but I didn't really do anything challenging.

I'm really pumped and nervous at the same time about going back. One of the main reasons I'm nervous is that I will more than likely be the highest rank in the class that I'm going to go to. That puts a lot of pressure on me to perform well, but I'm worried that I'm more rusty than I have pictured in my mind. I know I need to take things at my own pace, but as a blackbelt, others in the class are going to be watching me like a hawk, especially since I'll be "the new guy".

I'm also nervous because I don't know how my body is going to react to training again. I work at a desk all day, (I'm typing this while I'm at work), so I don't normally get the exercise that I need. I do all the stretching that I can, but I just get the feeling that once I go to work out, I'm going to be super-sore for the next week. I just don't want it to keep me out of going back on a regular schedule.

I just wanted to post it on here, though, because I'm really excited to finally get back into what I love doing.

TKDHermit

Green Belt
Reaction score
Lol i got back after 7 years of stoppage last year at 8th Geup.

bluekey88

Senior Master
Reaction score
Congrats on getting back into training!

Don't worry about what others think...it's not important. Leave ego at the door. You will be rusty. You will probably have some soreness for awhile. No need to pile on unecessary expectations from others on top of the challenges you already have ahead of you.

best thing to do is get on the mat, train as hard as you can...and return for the next scheduled class. You'll be back into the swing of things in no time.

Peace,
Erik

StuartA

Black Belt
Reaction score
Nice one.

Too many students stop with the intention of getting back to it later on, but rarely do... so well done for not being one of them.

Ditto what Bluekey said... just let others know you`ve had a gap and you shoudl be fine and hopefully back on track before too long.

Regards,

Stuart

KickFest

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I had a 4 year break from regular training and I'm also stuck at a desk for most of the day :)

The first session back is a killer (my limbs wouldn't move a lot for the next few days, much to the humour of my colleagues) but that's to be expected. After the first week my body started to remember what it was like to exercise and it was all downhill from there.

The hardest part for me was the frustration of not being able to do what I could years ago. I'd throw a kick and constantly think "that was crap, what's happened to me?" but it's all started to come back to me after a few months (not that I was amazing to begin with, mind you ;))

I've never been the highest rank in the class, but I think not training because of the expectations of others isn't a good enough reason not to go again.

Now that I'm back into it I can't believe I stayed away for so long.

In short, get your butt back in the dojang and enjoy it! :D

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Congrats on the return..There have been many breaks since I started training so many years ago...Returning has always been sweet...

OP
B

BrandonLucas

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
I know the worst part is going to be accepting the fact that I can't do what I used to. I can deal with being sore but the rusty feeling is the biggest obstacle for me.

I just worry about starting back as my current rank because I guess I don't feel much like a blackbelt right now. And I'm quite sure I won't for a while. It's not necessarily how I look to others in class, though that has some impact on the situation, but it's more of how I view myself. I guess I'm going to be my worst critic.

But other than that, I already feel better, and it's still 9 hours and 55 minutes until my first class back. When I went to re-enroll, I could barely contain myself...just going back into the dojang...the smells, the sounds, all of that, just started pumping me back up all over again. I couldn't sleep at all that night.

Rest assured, I will be back on here tomorrow for a status report, as long as I'm still able to type.

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Been there MANY TIMES..It takes me a little longer to warm up and I feel it a day or two longer, but its worth it.....Yes there will be somethings ya cannot do right off, but you will find ways to comphensate..Ya earned that Dan rank by the sweat of your brow, they didn't just give it to you..Those skill are still there, ya gotta bring them back to the surface

Daniel Sullivan

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Good job, Brandon!

I took a twenty year absence from formal TKD training to focus on weapon arts and child rearing before finally getting back into it. In my case, I simply started fresh as a white belt, so the 'new guy with rank' thing wasn't an issue for me. The class all knew that I was a kendo yudansha, so the only real expectation was that I would conduct myself accordingly.

Daniel

Miles

Senior Master
Reaction score
Congratulations on taking the initiative and getting back into training. You've received some good advice already about taking it slowly.

My only advice would be to remember you are on your own path. Your path may have peaks and valleys which your dojang-mates may not see or experience for some time. Your instructor though has probably been there and done them. Enjoy the journey!

KELLYG

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Isn't it wonderful that after a 5 year absence, going back to class, you sound like a kid with a new pup. I think that speaks volumes as to the way you feel about your art. Just remember that you are 5 years older, give yourself a break, get in there and get to work. The rest will follow.

Good luck.

Kwanjang

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Good luck and have fun Brandon. Break a leg. No wait ...That's what they say in stage performance. Never mind. Seriously, have some fun with it and please keep us up-to -date!

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Enjoy! Don't worry about anyone but yourself - you're training for you, and you are the only important person in that aspect. I understand completely your concern - but those around you will understand. A friend of mine had back surgery, in which several disks in his back were fused, and they ended up putting a rod up his spine, and took several years off (and he's 68 now) - he came back last year, still my senior - but he's always watching me, because he's forgotten most of his patterns. His technique is off due to injury and lack of practice - but no one cares, because he's so enthusiastic about what he's doing, and he's relearning as he goes. Don't let your concerns for what you've forgotten stop you, or even slow you down. Do let us know how it's going.

OP
B

BrandonLucas

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Ok, so I'm not sore yet, but I think it's still too early today to know....

I didn't know an hour could last so long! Ha! But it was sooo much fun to get back and actually participate in a structured class.

We always start out by doing a light run around the edge of the mat...I lasted longer than I thought I would doing that, but I still had to walk a couple of laps. Then we all stretch, which really helped. After we completed stretching, we went into doing the line drills for about 20 minutes. My instructor asked me if I wanted to break, and I almost, almost took him up on it, but I had my wife with me, and I didn't want to look like I was tired in front of her, so I told him I could keep going.

I'm glad I did, too, because it gave me a second wind. When we finished that up, he started the yellow belts (no white belts in that class) on forms, so that was a very nice refresher and break at the same time.

We do the Chan H'on patterns, and I had to start at Hwa-Rang, since that's the one I remembered the least. I expect the next time I go back, I'll start from Chun-Ji and work up...that's what I would prefer...but I didn't realize how much of that form I had forgotten. But the cool thing is that it really IS like riding a bike...after the first few movements, it really started to come back to me. I was really trying to work on my stances, but my legs were like Jello, and thankfully my instructor didn't ride me too hard this time around.

All-in-all, it was great! My wife and I had to go to the store after practice, and we got something to eat and got home at 8:00pm, and I was in bed by 9. lol

It was so much fun. We have class tomorrow, and it's sparring night...I won't be sparring for a while, but it'll be just as much fun going through the drills and watching the others spar. I can't wait!

OP
B

BrandonLucas

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
And a huge, huge thanks to everyone for their words of encouragement...it really helps to hear others say that they really can relate to starting back.

bluekey88

Senior Master
Reaction score
I'm glad to hear all went well. congrats and good training!

Peace,
Erik

Sylo

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Hey all. I was there with Brandon...

took me a few to talk him into coming back, but I think it will help him immensely in the long run.

I've been back for a month, and I'm better than ever "mentally". I've still got the leg problem to deal with.. that I seem to screw up every class.. but it hasn't stopped me yet.

Latest Discussions