Starbuck

rabbit

Blue Belt
Reaction score
How come when I drink coffee from starbuck I seem to feel more alert and when I drink coffee from home I feel more jittery? Is starbucks putting something in their coffee? Is it the beans?

Can different beans have different effects?

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
It’s a dark roast and they make their coffee...oh... about 15 times stronger than necessary

Personally I can't stand the stuff and sadly they are just about everywhere

still learning

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hello, Yes, There are hundreds of different coffees in the world, even the same coffee plant can be different if grown in the upper parts and lower parts of volcanic lands. The caffine contents can vary

Also the person is processing can differ ( soakng over night after pulping) vs mulesage(not sure of spelling) will make the coffee less acidity.

Also roasting coffee (three common) light roast, medium roast, dark roast or french roast, the darker the less caffine.

Blends? ...depends on the how they blend or amount of mix types of coffee can have a different effect.

I am not an expert on coffee....My wife family rises coffee (25 acres appx) They pick, pulp,dry,roast and package there own coffee.

ON the internet (Waiaha River Coffee Company) Toll Free: 888-322-5214
Whole bean or grind, One pound ($18.00) last time I check? 100% Kona coffee...Hawaii is the only STATE to rise coffee plants and commecial sales, BIG Island of Hawaii. Grown on the slopes of volcano lands with the right amount rain and sunshine makes it a perfect place to grow.

Starbuck brands has their own blends when you buy from them...plus the coffee does not sit longer than 1-2 hours before making a new batch too!

Change your home brand? ...or combine them with 100% Kona mix in your brand! or drink 100% Kona coffee!

Aloha, (we get paid about 50-60 cents for every pound you pick...many times up to 4 x 100lbs bags or more per day, for fast pickers and peak season too!)

PS: Let me know when you are coming? ....Coffee season..than you can learn to pick and earn money? .......Maybe? UFO aliens can apply?

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Or... you paid LOTS more for the Starbucks so you believe it'll be better. Y'know... placebo effect...

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
And it pretty much cost the same no matter where you go. It was the same price in Beijing when I was there in US dollars which was about 20 Chinese dollars.

I went in because I was looking for coffee (after a week and a half for some reason I wanted a coffee) and that was all there was inthe area I was in at that moment. And just to let you know it was just as bad there as it is here, I didn’t finish it.

As a note the best coffee in Beijing was at Pizza Hut and they called it a Latte.

Before anyone asks why the heck I would go to a pizza hut in Beijing; I was there because that is what my sister-in-law thought I wanted since I am American, she was wrong but hey at least they had a decent cup of coffee.

theletch1

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
At 4 bucks a cup in the Starbucks you were more alert because you'd just been raped and your self defense sensors had just kicked in.:ticked: I'm with Xue here. I can't stand Starbucks coffee. I can get the same flavor at home if I brew a pot of coffee and let it sit for two or three days before drinking it.

Jade Tigress

RAWR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I'm not a Starbucks fan either. From what I understand McDonalds is giving them a run for their money. I don't think they're doing so well these days. Heard something about them lowering their prices too. I prefer McDonalds or Dunkin Donuts coffee to Starbucks. Not to mention I brew a damn good pot of coffee at home. :D

theletch1

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Same here, Jade. I've got the Cuisanart with the built in grinder and our water is straight from the mountain then runs through a double filter here in the house. I love Kona coffee if I brew it here at the house...none of that 10% kona blend stuff either. We're getting it from a specialty shop here in town...at $11.00 per pound.:whip: And that's why we only drink the Kona once in a while.

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I don't drink coffee, so I don't have this problem - occasionally my neighbor brings me something (her nephew sells gift cards as a school fundraiser), but since I don't drink coffee, it's usually either hot cider or chai tea.

tellner

Senior Master
Reaction score
It's fashionable to dump on Starbuck's. I'm not sure if it's a sort of reverse snobbery or if it's the one largish company that it's patriotic to hate. Probably the latter since it's a bunch of effete lefties who use *shudder* French and Italian terms. Not like us virtuous hard-working types who like an honest workingman's cuppa Joe.

But if you look at their prices they're no worse than anyone else selling a similar product. Their coffee is a lot better than the brown crayon in hot water that described pretty much all of American (North and South) coffee that came before them. And having drunken the magical mystical French and Italian versions I can say that they're really no better. The "original" versions just come with a little more cultural baggage. They've pretty much single-handedly raised the bar for coffee and coffee drinking around the world. Their business practices are much better than any other company of their size. Most of all - and I think this is why people hate them - they found a need and filled it effectively stealing a march on everyone else.

And the evidence is pretty clear. The presence of a Starbuck's actually increases business for other coffee shops in the area.

Am I a fan? No. My preference is for kopi tarik which tastes much better than roasted coffee and has double the amount of life-giving caffeine. But I'm not a reflexive hater like the pilers-on.

theletch1

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Disliking Starbucks could also be a product of simply not liking their coffee. I don't frequent coffee shops at all (or VERY infrequently). When I do buy coffee in a store it's at the local Sheetz while I'm on the road. As a general rule I brew a pot and carry a thermos to work.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I just personally am not over impressed with Starbucks -- or most of the other "snobbier" coffee places. I drink coffee black, no extra stuff, so all the stuff at Starbucks or many of the other places just literally overwhelms me.

Archangel M

Senior Master
Reaction score
The only choices I want with my coffee is cup size and cream+sugar ammounts.

Thats it.

Darksoul

Black Belt
Reaction score
-One of the most beautiful women I have ever met worked in a Starbucks for several years. She loved it, although I think it was the access to coffee and the constant interaction with people. Seems to me I remember another employee there saying that they roast the beans twice, which may be the "darkening" of the brew.

-I'll admit to going to Starbucks every now and then, but if I'm going there, its not for regular coffee. That I can make at home and usually do, taking thermos to work. Hills Brothers is the brand I'm using at the moment, although I like to slip in a little flavored coffee to the mix; big fan of Folgers french vanilla. However, I cannot drink it straight black, not even out of desparation.

-Anyways, going to Starbucks means getting something sweeter, vanilla latte, green tea frap, whatever, then its supposed to be a treat. In Denver we have another coffee establishment called DazBog, which is similar. Love the White Russian Chai!!! But yeah, there literally is a Starbucks on every corner, just a little out of control. But I see other coffee shops as well, or food places that heavily advertise their coffee.

-Friends of mine back home are really into more earthy, low processed, coffees. Thinking of EarthTones, or maybe some other brand, haven't tried it so not sure what it tastes like. Maybe worth a shot.

Andrew

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
It's fashionable to dump on Starbuck's. I'm not sure if it's a sort of reverse snobbery or if it's the one largish company that it's patriotic to hate. Probably the latter since it's a bunch of effete lefties who use *shudder* French and Italian terms. Not like us virtuous hard-working types who like an honest workingman's cuppa Joe.

Never been fashionable and I don't plan on starting now

I did not like coffee at Starbucks from the first time I tried it. Not being fashionable, just don't like it, but if honesty is fashionable then so be it.

And the evidence is pretty clear. The presence of a Starbuck's actually increases business for other coffee shops in the area.

Not in my area, there have been a few coffee places go belly up because starbucks moved in.

But with all that being said, I do not drink all that much coffee anymore I drink tea and other than their awake tea that is $1.00 more than any place else I pretty much have little use for their tea too. I would love a good cup of green tea from time to time but they do not have a plain green tea they add herbal stuff that I can't stand. And what the heck is the deal with 2 tea bags?

OP
R

rabbit

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I just personally am not over impressed with Starbucks -- or most of the other "snobbier" coffee places. I drink coffee black, no extra stuff, so all the stuff at Starbucks or many of the other places just literally overwhelms me.

I like my coffee black too! but only if it is Starbucks

tellner

Senior Master
Reaction score
It's one of those not all the time but on average things.

But for everyone's edification I present Tiel Ansari's (kickass Sufi poetess) take on the Green Mermaid:

Stirbucks

They come at night, the secret agents in their green aprons. They scour the city for unused spaces; vacant storefronts, empty corners of parking lots, odd-shaped plots wedged between light-industrial complexes. And of course, empty lots on busy streets in upscaling neighborhoods.

Under the glare of the sodium lamps, they dig holes in the ground. What goes in the holes? A canister of used coffee grounds, for certain. A napkin with the company's logo. Crumbs of pastry or sandwiches. One of those recycled-paper sleeves. Other things.... it would not be wise to mention.

The agent fills in the hole and speaks certain words over it. The smell of espresso roasting wafts through the night, disturbing the sleep of residents both old and new. Dogs howl nearby.

In a few days it starts to rise from the ground. The walls paint themselves flat post-industrial colors. Comfortable armchairs and steel-frame tables sprout like mushrooms from the concrete floor. In some cities, the windows mask themselves so that passers-by won't be shocked by this unnatural inorganic growth. In others, the whole process is out in the open.

Soon enough it's in business. You really can't do anything to stop it. People have tried firebombing the buildings in their larval phase; they're far too sturdy to be damaged that way. People have tried lawsuits, but none have ever succeeded. And actually, as parasites go, they're fairly benign. You only have to look around downtown to see how many of them can cluster on a healthy host.

You're not likely to ever see a Stirbucks agent. But if you do, throw a net over him and hold him fast. He'll babble incomprehensibly about urban renewal and franchise entrepeneurship. He'll promise you coupons for free drinks, complementary bags of the Blend of the Month. Turn down every offer. In the end he'll come round, because he has to; he'll give you the one thing you need to free yourself and your family from his corporation's evil grasp. Your very own espresso maker.

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score
I'm not a Starbucks fan either. From what I understand McDonalds is giving them a run for their money. I don't think they're doing so well these days. Heard something about them lowering their prices too. I prefer McDonalds or Dunkin Donuts coffee to Starbucks. Not to mention I brew a damn good pot of coffee at home. :D

In the Pacific Northwest, McDonald's stocks "Seattle's Best" as its drip coffee, Seattle's Best is owned by.... Starbucks. :D

If you do grind and brew your own, try some of the other blends, many are mellower than the dark roast which is standard in the stores. I like the Estima.

Lamont

Langenschwert

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
In the Pacific Northwest, McDonald's stocks "Seattle's Best" as its drip coffee, Seattle's Best is owned by.... Starbucks. :D

I know! :D I was pleasantly surprised when I got a kick-*** cup of coffee at a McDonald's in Wahsington state. I couldn't believe it. I'm also a fan of starbucks coffee, but I tend not to buy from them because of their support of anti-firearm groups. I don't want those people using my money for their political agenda.

Oh, and Washington state, in addition to having good coffee in McDonald's, also has IMO the friendliest, most beautiful women in the world. Just replying to those Valentine's Day threads has got that in my brain today. ;)

Best regards,

-Mark

CoryKS

Senior Master
Reaction score

I find this statement amusing, because around here the complaints about Starbucks tend to come from the effete lefties. The song usually goes, "Starbucks is a capitalist parasite that moves in and sucks the business away from local cafes who support a rich and vibrant artistic community, and they sell beans raised in slave-labor conditions unlike [local cafe] who supports organic fair-rate growers who look vaguely like Che and yadda yadda yadda..."

It's fun to watch lefties eat their own. Especially while sipping a hot cup of Starbucks coffee. ;)

Latest Discussions