Star Trek Movie. (Contains Spoilers)

JDenver

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Forgettable. Nothing spectacular. Average acting, average writing, and in some spots, cliche Hollywood shmook.

Star Trek actually trumps my all time worst example of 'one-up-ism', which belonged to Titanic. In Titanic, it WASN'T ENOUGH that the ship was going down, they had to have a villain with a gun roaming around.

Star Trek beats that. The Romulan ship, literally turning into a blackhole, STILL has to get blasted with photons by the Enterprise.

?!?!?!?!?!?

It's ridiculous past the point of sense or even fun. Really average movie all around.

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Well my opinion is that it was excellent! Even great and really breathed life into the series!
icon14.gif

ShelleyK

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Star Trek beats that. The Romulan ship, literally turning into a blackhole, STILL has to get blasted with photons by the Enterprise.

?!?!?!?!?!?

It's ridiculous past the point of sense or even fun. Really average movie all around.

Nooo the romulan ship was time warping again and they had to blow up the ship in order to activate the red matter to create the black hole.

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Well, Shatner wasn't in it, so I know it's not on his head......

Omar B

Senior Master
Reaction score
Wait, I saw it 3 times and missed the tribble? How is that possible? So give, where is it?

As for the movie itself, things went against canon but as explained it's it's own timeline so the Trek I love has not been hurt. I do love it by the way, saw it on Friday then went to the drive in tonight and watched it twice in a row from my comfy car packed with snacks.

Nomad

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Loved it. Great reboot; the writing on this one opens things wide for any sequels without having to worry about the prior series "history".

Excellent casting, though they did feel a little too much like they were doing impressions of each of the original characters throughout (especially McCoy). Hopefully they'll get more confident in the next one and start owning the characters themselves.

Ken Morgan

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I had to cheat, because I didn't know the answer to where the tribble was and Shelley hasn't answered!! From Wiki

"A tribble also appears on Montgomery Scott's desk at the Starfleet outpost at Delta Vega in the 2009 movie Star Trek. Before that time, tribbles had been described as having been considered a dangerous menace to other planets' environments, so much so that transporting them off their native home could incur a lengthy prison sentence. The much anticipated tribble in Star Trek XI is in the scene where Kirk first meets Scotty on the ice planet. You can distinctly hear it cooing throughout their first conversation."

JDenver

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Nooo the romulan ship was time warping again and they had to blow up the ship in order to activate the red matter to create the black hole.

Really? But when they dropped the red matter into the planet it worked all on it's own without need for 'activation'. I think I remember that correctly.

Plus, would warping actually save them at all?

Oh god, now I'm getting way too into the technical stuff!!

ShelleyK

Brown Belt
Reaction score
If I remember correctly the red matter was in a container that had a bomb or something like that in it to detonate and activate the red matter...They did warp but I think that the blast from shooting the core coils or whatever it was that shot from the ship helped to propel them far enough that they were out of the gravity pull of the black hole...

Oh God I sound like a Trekkie nerd dont I??? LOL

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I was wondering ... would the devices detonated "in" the black hole actually fill/invert/negate the black hole? Would the explosion essentially fill it or would the explosion be sucked into the black hole?

And ... if the black hole didn't survive, wouldn't the effect we saw on screen be, essentially, a "big bang" of sorts? And right here in our own freakin' galaxy??? Seems like that would lay waste all life on Earth.

But I really don't know much about astrophysics, I'm just poking at possibilities, so if anyone here knows, feel free to enlighten me/us.

:spock:

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Oh, and extra points for the STG (Star Trek Geek) who can name the hybrid grain the tribbles nibbled away in the series. :)

Empty Hands

Senior Master
Reaction score
I was wondering ... would the devices detonated "in" the black hole actually fill/invert/negate the black hole? Would the explosion essentially fill it or would the explosion be sucked into the black hole?

While I greatly enjoyed this movie, they left physics bruised and bleeding on the floor, even for a Star Trek movie.

First, the black holes were generated using what couldn't have been more than a few grams of "red matter", or a few hundred kilos for the whole set. Thus, any black hole generated would have at most the mass of a few hundred kilos. Such a black hole would be very, very small, and would rapidly evaporate. It probably couldn't consume a planet, or even consume enough to sustain itself.

If you were to try to detonate something inside or just outside a black hole, it would have no appreciable impact on the hole itself. The mass of the explosion would be consumed just like anything else. Active massive black holes are very energetic places, with plasma and x-rays and such out the wazoo. Nothing you could detonate off a starship would have any effect. It would just be consumed.

That is assuming it could even be detonated at all, another pet peeve. If the Enterprise was being pulled backwards into a black hole despite going faster than the speed of light (they said they were at warp) then they would be inside the event horizon. The tidal forces at such a close distance to the black hole would cause massive gravity changes over very short distances. Basically, the Enterprise, everyone in it, and the exploding cores would be very, very long spaghetti. Even after that then, considering they were already going faster than the speed of light inside the event horizon, then no explosion, no matter how energetic, could possibly accelerate them enough to escape. At that point, conventional physics and chemical reactions should be non-functional anyway.

And ... if the black hole didn't survive, wouldn't the effect we saw on screen be, essentially, a "big bang" of sorts? And right here in our own freakin' galaxy??? Seems like that would lay waste all life on Earth.

Black holes evaporate and release energy through Hawking radiation very, very slowly. A supermassive black hole like the one in the middle of our galaxy would take several lifetimes of the Universe to evaporate. A small one would evaporate much more quickly, but even then, it only has as much energy to release as it has consumed. If the black holes had the mass of the Romulan mining ship and a few hundred kilos of "red matter", then that is all the energy it would have to release - which would occur slowly anyway. Thus, no big bang.

The real big bang did come from a singularity similar in conception to a black hole, but with two big differences. First, it had the total mass of the entire universe contained within - a lot more than a starship, or even a galaxy or two. Second, unlike standard black holes, this singularity exploded and released all that energy simultaneously. This doesn't happen with regular black holes.

Well, thanks for letting me geek out and vent. Probably more than you wanted to hear. :)

Latest Discussions