Standing jump kicks for the older student

T

TCA

I guess I need a little advice on the jump kicks. I am 43 in good middle weight condition, a red belt (3rd gup), and i am having a tough time with jump kicks. Basically, getting off the ground and performing the jump side kick and jump spinning back kick. I can perform these kicks in a running-jump combination, but fail when I try these while stationary jumping. I realize that practice is the key, but any other training tips would be most appreciated.

TigerWoman

Senior Master
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I started TKD at 47 and jumping was tough. I led a kickboxing class as a high blue belt for three years. It was a lot of quad work which is what you need. Also do alot of squats. Paul Martin had a really good workout...I will try to find it. Also calf raises...stand on the edge of a board or step with your heels over the side and do 30. Then increase it up to 150...slowly. It also takes abs, so crunches or similar workout, helps jumping.

For the the jump back and later jump spin heel or hook, it also takes practice. I must of spent at least an extra 50 hours on my own time, coming in early or staying late for jump back. I also got my own set of 4 puzzle mats and a standup bag for home. Try Century Martial Arts or Karate Depot.com at the top of this page or order through your instructor.

Protect your knees. Take Glucosamine Sulfate-rebuilds cartilage, MSM-inflammation, ice after for any inflammation. I wear a brace. My jumping days are over at 55 though.:(

See this thread. Particularly see Loki's workout. TW

DarrenJew

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Sorry, am not TKD...

But maybe going to the gym is in order. Doing some leg exercises like squats... start out with some light weights then work your way up a few pounds. (Don’t forget to stretch out before and after your work.) good luck.

doh... TigerWoman, beat me to the post.... anyways, she has good advice

TX_BB

Purple Belt
Reaction score
If your legs are in good shape here's a basic program to add strength to those legs. If your not in such good shape or you've had serious leg injuries talk to your doc and PT for more information on implementing a lower leg strengthening program.

Week One: (5 days on, 2 days off)
Add jump rope (3-5 minutes)
Add unweighted squats - 4 sets of 25
Add unweighted calf raises - 4 sets of 25

Week two: (5 days on, 2 days off)
Jump rope (5 minutes)
Unweighted squats - 3 sets of 25
Unweighted calf raises - 3 sets of 25
Add Unweighted lunges - 3 sets of 15 each leg

Week three: (5 days on, 2 days off)
Jump rope (5 minutes)
Unweighted squats - 1 set of 100
Unweighted calf raises - 1 set of 100
Unweighted lunges at angles - 3 sets of 15 each leg

Week 4-6:
**(5 days on, 2 days off)**
Jump rope (5 minutes)
Unweighted squats - 1 set of 25
Unweighted calf raises - 1 set of 50
Unweighted lunges at angles - 1 sets of 15 each leg
**(1 day on, 2 days off)**
Bike ride for 12 minutes
Squats - 3 sets of 12
Calf raises - 3 sets of 12
Lunges - 3 sets of 12

This routine should allow you to try pylometric jumps which should help you reach your potential at this time in your life. I would not suggest doing pylometric training for more than 4 weeks in a row, at 40 two weeks should be sufficient to see a gain. For more on Pylometrics see local library and that way you can tailor a program for your specific needs.

Have fun with it.

Latest Discussions