Standing a Qi Question

OP
Xue Sheng

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
I came across this from the book “Xingyi Yi Nei Gong” compiled and edited by Dan Miller and Tim Cartmell

This is from Xingyiquan but it does apply

As simple as it sounds, one is taught to “just stand.” There is no right or wrong, only an image of focus to which the body naturally conforms. The image itself serves as a focal point of mental activity which serves to calm the mind. There is only attendant “feeling” and acknowledgement thereof. There is none of the nonsense about “not thinking anything” or “emptying the mind.” The mind is focused. Trying to “stop thoughts” will only produce conflict and stress. While standing, one only observes oneself impartially with attention to how it feels, there is no conflict, the mind and body are unified and the brain waves settle down (not stop) into a calm state.

Non-action is the real action. One hundred acts are not as good as one moment of silence. One hundred movements are not as good as one moment of standing still. Big movement is not as good as small movement. Small movement is not as good as no movement
--Wang Xian Zhai

OP
Xue Sheng

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
A quick question I'd like to ask about Zhan Zhuang if someone would be kind enough to answer.

In standing in this way, what is the main focus? At times I have been taught this differently, for instance it has been said that the focus should be on the fingertips and the energy that connects the hands. Or, should you run the microcosmic orbit when standing in this posture or save that for Wuji?

Thanks in anticipation.

Sorry I must have missed this post.

My understanding and from what I was taught the focus is on nothing. Staand, realx and breath.... and observe. Basically quiet the mind and watch what happens internally. But this is only what I have been taught, others may have been taught differently.

donjitsu2

White Belt
Reaction score
A quick question I'd like to ask about Zhan Zhuang if someone would be kind enough to answer.

In standing in this way, what is the main focus? At times I have been taught this differently, for instance it has been said that the focus should be on the fingertips and the energy that connects the hands. Or, should you run the microcosmic orbit when standing in this posture or save that for Wuji?

Thanks in anticipation.

At first your focus should be on developing your ability to focus on one thing. Counting your breathing and focusing on your tan tien (energy center located below your navel) are useful techniques for achieving this focus. You should be able to eliminate all thoughts from your mind, except for the counting or focusing on you tan tien. Once you are capable of maintaining that focus for 10+ minutes you should move on to eliminating all thoughts. You should not even think about adding the Microcosmic orbit into your training until you can eliminate all thoughts for at least 10 minutes. However, once you have accomplished this goal it would be a good idea to start training the microcosmic orbit.

Train Hard,
Josh Skinner

Latest Discussions