Reaction score
For fighting

For Entertainment

For ?? well definitely not for fighting

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I completely understand where you are coming from. The kenpo staff that I learned, I feel was poorly designed and is a waste of time. The way it was taught to me did not make the deeper connections that it really needs, and what I have seen of other kenpo lineages, seems to be the same. I won't claim it's like that for every school, but that has been consistent with what I have seen.

When I got into the Chinese methods, they are taught differently and the forms are designed better and it makes more sense. Initially, I was also reluctant to learn weapons, as I felt they would be less convenient to practice. While there is truth in that, I found the greater benefits outweighed the inconvenience and I really began to appreciate what it gives to the training experience.

If you find yourself in the San Francisco area let me know. Maybe we can find some time to get together and share notes. I couldn't teach you our forms, but at least could show you how it all integrates in my system. That could be valuable perspective.
I was actually in San Francisco over the summer, but I'm not sure if I will be heading out there anytime soon. If I do, I will definitely let you know so we can meet up.

Midnight-shadow

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
I love the staff and it's by far my favourite weapon, particularly for sparring. I focus a lot on good flow with the staff without the flash (I don't staff spin - I consider it a waste of time). As a result, as others have said, my open-hand has improved, especially my footwork.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
When I got into the Chinese methods, they are taught differently and the forms are designed better and it makes more sense.
Agree! Some Chinese staff forms are fun to learn. Here is the one that I like.

I like the big metal pole better.

john_pole_2.jpg

Last edited:

donald1

Senior Master
Reaction score
Its fun knocking the weapon out of your opponents hand. It always puts a smile on my face. :)

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Its fun knocking the weapon out of your opponents hand. It always puts a smile on my face. :)
The moment that your staff makes contact on your opponent's staff, the moment that your staff slides along his staff and hit on his fingers. It's called "fingers striking pole technique".

donald1

Senior Master
Reaction score
The moment that your staff makes contact on your opponent's staff, the moment that your staff slides along his staff and hit on his fingers. It's called "fingers striking pole technique".
I know I've been hit across the fingers. Usually the opponents end up hitting by accident. Occasionally I accidentally hit myself swinging nunchaku across the fingers.

Langenschwert

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I did a couple of seminars of Jodo and I didn't love it, so I hear you. However, a staff is a very potent weapon, more than a match for a good swordsman.

Weapon training is very useful even if you are primarily an unarmed stylist. Weapon arts require a level of precision that is not needed in an unarmed encounter. When unarmed, you can take a punch to give a punch or land a takedown or whatever. This is not the case with weapons. A single strike with a sword or staff has a very good chance of killing or incapacitating, so you have to practice to not get hit, ever. Weapons such as swords and staves are like big giant rulers showing you where your technique is faulty. It also gets you to focus on a wider area, due to their length. I say go for it. The benefits of weapons training are huge, even if it's not your favourite weapon.

thanson02

Blue Belt
Reaction score
It is part of the curriculum at the place I been going to once you get into some higher colors. I just have no drive for it, no passion, but sadly there will come a point where it will be necessary to advance higher.

What makes you enjoy the staff? I might be able to get inspired here.

It is hard to be motivated to train in an area that you have little interest and drive in. I run into the same problem with grappling. It is part of the curriculum and I understand the importance of learning it, but it doesn't click like weapons work.

That said, I have come to really enjoy staff, but it wasn't something that came easily. What did help me though was that we have a full application program for it so I was doing more then just the basic drills and long forms. I have a TKD kickboxing background in addition to my HRD training and once I realized the footwork in staff fighting is almost identical to the footwork in kickboxing, it helped bring it all together. Also I was working with someone who really loved staff work so her enjoyment of it rubbed off. As I became more proficient with the weapon, my enjoyment of it increased. Although I have been told by people that I am a tenacious $#%^, so much of my enjoyment of things is connected with my success in overcoming challenges and I am not afraid of the hard work needed to get there.

And since everyone else is sharing videos, :)

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
I completely understand where you are coming from. The kenpo staff that I learned, I feel was poorly designed and is a waste of time. The way it was taught to me did not make the deeper connections that it really needs, and what I have seen of other kenpo lineages, seems to be the same. I won't claim it's like that for every school, but that has been consistent with what I have seen.

When I got into the Chinese methods, they are taught differently and the forms are designed better and it makes more sense. Initially, I was also reluctant to learn weapons, as I felt they would be less convenient to practice. While there is truth in that, I found the greater benefits outweighed the inconvenience and I really began to appreciate what it gives to the training experience.

If you find yourself in the San Francisco area let me know. Maybe we can find some time to get together and share notes. I couldn't teach you our forms, but at least could show you how it all integrates in my system. That could be valuable perspective.
I know this is old now so apologies but I'm bored so have been browsing back around the forum and saw this. The kenpo staff set wasn't actually designed by ed Parker. It was designed by one of his students (don't know which one) and was put into the system after he died by another one of parkers senior students. If I'm right there's a few of the higher sets that are like that.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I know this is old now so apologies but I'm bored so have been browsing back around the forum and saw this. The kenpo staff set wasn't actually designed by ed Parker. It was designed by one of his students (don't know which one) and was put into the system after he died by another one of parkers senior students. If I'm right there's a few of the higher sets that are like that.
Yup, I believe that is true

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
Yup, I believe that is true
Not sure if it was before or after he died but it wouldn't surprise me if it was after so some instructors could make money by claiming to have an extra set. I know Parker knew about the nunchaku as he wrote a book on it and did a seminar with lee wedlake on it where they worked them on a heavy bag as he said lots of guys were good baton twirlers but if they hit something with resistance it could cause issues. But I have no idea if he had knowledge of the staff

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
It's my understanding that the first staff set was developed by Chuck Sullivan, and it was well before Mr. Parker died. I don't know what foundation Chuck had to develop it, nor what Mr. Parker knew about the staff.

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score

The kenpo staff set has been in existence since the mid-60s, early enough that a version made it into the Tracy Kenpo curriculum prior to the split between Tracy and Parker.

Martial_Kumite

Green Belt
Reaction score
I personally favor the staff. I love how versatile it can be, and how it can improve the flow o empty hand technique. I do agree that I would not carry a staff around, but if I am attacked and there is a tree branch, sign, lead pipe or a random golf club, staff training will at least give me options.