Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Defense for a rear bearhug, arms pinned

[yt]qes85uSbe1Y[/yt]

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I think the logic on this one is a little weird. While grabbing some one groin and walking away with it is pretty cool, I think it would make more sense to keep him going the same direction in which you started the attack.
Sean

Twin Fist

Grandmaster
Reaction score
you get their momentum going in one direction then promptly reverse directions, using that to multiply the force of your elbow shot...

i dont know, i think it is sort of goofy, but i like the lessons in it

Yondanchris

Master Black Belt
MT Mentor
Reaction score
you get their momentum going in one direction then promptly reverse directions, using that to multiply the force of your elbow shot...

i dont know, i think it is sort of goofy, but i like the lessons in it

Isn't that exactly what American Kenpo all about? It't not the techniques themselves but the theories/concepts/lessons built in that make them so valuable?

Chris

Big Don

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
"When you've got them by the balls, their hearts and minds will follow."

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Millions of peaches, peaches for me. Millions of peaches, peaches for free... :D

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I like what Mr. Tatum has to say about the technique in this video.
While I think it's important to know how to fight someone that is behind you, making this idea not just busy work, the question still comes to mind, "Why don't we just turn around?":)
Sean

Last edited by a moderator:

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
While I think it's important to know how to fight someone that is behind you, making this idea not just busy work, the question still comes to mind, "Why don't we just turn around?":)
Sean

In schools where attackers don't resist, that's all that's needed. :D

bushidomartialarts

Senior Master
Reaction score
I like to see a more aggressive backward step. We teach to hammer into their space and disrupt their base, then go into the rest of the technique.

To be fair, that's a pet peeve of mine personally. Not doing so won't invalidate the technique -- it's just a nice extra.

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I like to see a more aggressive backward step. We teach to hammer into their space and disrupt their base, then go into the rest of the technique.

To be fair, that's a pet peeve of mine personally. Not doing so won't invalidate the technique -- it's just a nice extra.
You will notice that Mr. Tatum shuffles when performing the tech, but didn't show or bring it up while doing it slow.
Sean

tinker1

Green Belt
Reaction score
Master Long taught us a technique - series of techniques actually - that he called "Monkey Steals the Peach"... similar principal.. many times it was done from the rear though..

ATACX GYM

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Isn't that exactly what American Kenpo all about? It't not the techniques themselves but the theories/concepts/lessons built in that make them so valuable?

Chris

I hope not.I hope that the techniques are trained and applied in an actually functional manner against escalating levels of real world resistance with functional reliable beneficial results,and this would actually give us theories/concepts/lessons that are ACTUALLY VALUABLE.

Aiki Lee

Master of Arts
Reaction score
From a non-kenpo (kempo?), general MA perspective:

When we chose this option of striking the groin from this position I tend to go with a knife hand since it slips through the gaps between uke and tori's body easier than a fist. I find that simply reach back for the groin makes uke start moving around awkwardly to avoid the discomfort of it all and thus negatively effects his balance. From there you should be able to escape the hold and do whatever you want.

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
... or consider a downward heel palm to the pubic bone, and pop him in the chin with a back elbow as he bends forward.:)

kenpoflow

White Belt
Reaction score
I hope not.I hope that the techniques are trained and applied in an actually functional manner against escalating levels of real world resistance with functional reliable beneficial results,and this would actually give us theories/concepts/lessons that are ACTUALLY VALUABLE.

You have to remember in the Ideal Phase of the technique, your opponent or would be attacker isn't wearing a groin cup nor is he expecting you to move in such a random fashion. More so look at psychology of what the attacker is trying to do here; he trying to hold you in a bear hug which constitutes him grounding his feet in a wider stance to brace himself for whatever his next move is. It is our job at this point to interrupt that via the technique or whatever variation you have of it no matter what style. I too like using a sword hand if i can anticipate the attack, but a pinch will do if your will do. Also remember when the practioner slides back to 4:00 with his left leg it cause an angle of disturbance which forces the attacker to open his legs to catch his balance giving us room to grab his groin. Our only problem is alot of this younger generation are wearing jeans tight enough to see the date on a penny and thats the guys lol.

Latest Discussions