Spreading yourself too thin with too many martial arts? (bjj, m.t, wrestling)

yak sao

Senior Master
Reaction score
You're more of a fighter than probably most of us on this forum, so keep at it.
If you're doing it to stay in shape and keep strong, or simply because you enjoy it, then honestly it won't matter if you're training in multiple arts. I would caution though about overdoing it...the body needs time to rest, so balance young grasshopper.

But if you're training for skill, I tend to be one of those guys who finds one thing and sticks with it.
If for no other reason, the law of diminishing returns. There's only so many hours in the day and so many days in the week, and you only have much energy. I personally find it better to be good at one thing than mediocre in a few things.

Last edited:
OP
whitebeltforever

whitebeltforever

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Just do what you want to do and enjoy it. You don't owe anyone anything you make your choice and if you miss a class you don't have to make it up no one trains at every single class there isn't a single martial artist who attends every single class. Hell even the head instructors miss class every now and then

hey that's a really good point... i nearly always feel so guilty for missing classes and i feel a bit bonded with the A.P cause he is quite easy on me but on the other hand i'm not sure if that's a good thing sometimes...

OP
whitebeltforever

whitebeltforever

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I'm impressed with your drive. I'm also impressed that striking system training is playing nice with your joints. I manage a similar type of chronicity and I get concerned about repeat blunt force trauma like that. I did my boxing and muay thai prior to this on-set.

Go! Do! Be!
i have only been in the beginner's class so far. the all levels i am planning to go to soon... it is scary to think that sparring will do alot of damage. i am planning on going to the all levels and just asking the coach to let me sit out and watch the sparring the first time... i am really not crazy about the injuries i will incur but at the same time bjj has given me more injuries so far lol

OP
whitebeltforever

whitebeltforever

Orange Belt
Reaction score
You're more of a fighter than probably most of us on this forum, so keep at it.
If you're doing it to stay in shape and keep strong, or simply because you enjoy it, then honestly it won't matter if you're training in multiple arts. I would caution though about overdoing it...the body needs time to rest, so balance young grasshopper.

But if you're training for skill, I tend to be one of those guys who finds one thing and sticks with it.
If for no other reason, the law of diminishing returns. There's only so many hours in the day and so many days in the week, and you only have much energy. I personally find it better to be good at one thing than mediocre in a few things.

thank you for your kind words :)

...and ain't that the truth about being good at one thing instead of mediocre in a few things... i dont think i would hav been a pro level singer had i learnt an instrument too... and haha yes i am an impatient and fiesty bug. lol sometimes i annoy myself at not wanting to give in to my illness but it does more damage than good and i totally burn out if nothing else...