Sport And TMA....Again

lklawson

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Mmm! Depends on the intent. There are some rules in conventional warfare. There were rules for duelling. I have a vague idea people died in both. :) So no, rules don't make it a game, just a very violent sport where the rules favour fighters with certain skills and ban some of the more damaging forms of attack.
:asian:
People die in boxing and wrestling too. And in "sport judo" as well. And, occasionally, even in football.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

Tenacious_Red

Orange Belt
Reaction score
When you Have rules in a sporting event makes it a game. War is not a sporting event I guess I thought you were smart enough to know the difference between war and sport. If you were following along with the actual conversation you would see we were talking about the UFC not war.

See there is the "real" world and then there is the "sport" world. When you sign a contract to fight and agree to go by the rules with a prize at the end see that's called a "game" see games are for entertainment and are not "real" life.

That doesn't mean a game isn't dangerous and doesn't take guts and bravery to enter and need great skill to be successful. But its not real and its pretty disrespectful of you to even put war and sport in the same category. Really sad actually.

You have me pondering something that is obviously so simple to grasp, but now I thinking about how rules transpose a function into, "game."

I do want to say that you make a good point about how we have to separate the real world from the sport world. The sport world is reliant upon ego and sportsmanship (which there again lies a set of unspoken rules between players) and professionals take their sport to a whole other level with training, performance and strategy.

lklawson

Grandmaster
Reaction score
When you Have rules in a sporting event makes it a game. War is not a sporting event I guess I thought you were smart enough to know the difference between war and sport. If you were following along with the actual conversation you would see we were talking about the UFC not war.

See there is the "real" world and then there is the "sport" world. When you sign a contract to fight and agree to go by the rules with a prize at the end see that's called a "game" see games are for entertainment and are not "real" life.

That doesn't mean a game isn't dangerous and doesn't take guts and bravery to enter and need great skill to be successful. But its not real and its pretty disrespectful of you to even put war and sport in the same category. Really sad actually.
Oh please. Stop trying to weasel.

Just man up and admit you were wrong: UFC isn't a "game," it is "real fighting," just fighting with rules. Just like pretty much all "real fighting" has "rules" of some sort.

Tenacious_Red

Orange Belt
Reaction score

Just man up and admit you were wrong: UFC isn't a "game," it is "real fighting," just fighting with rules. Just like pretty much all "real fighting" has "rules" of some sort.

It is a tournament of real punches, kicks and elbows...but it is a competition of wit, physical endurance and strength--like a game.

ballen0351

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
We don't even need to get it to that point. What about Vale Tudo, UFC, Pride, Prancrase, MMA, etc? How do the rules in those sporting events work against traditional martial arts?

It depends on the art your talking about. Either way all these events are sporting events. If your art wasn't designed for sport then in general changing it to fit the rules its no longer your art. Its like saying OK enter your bjj guy into my tournament but he can't use chokes or arm bars. Is it really BJJ anymore ? Or just a small part of BJJ and not really a true representation of what BJJ really is. Or like JUDO is judo under today's rules really Judo anymore? Or is it something else just using the name. It would be like me starting a goju class getting up to brown belt and then leaving throwing on a black belt and starting my own school and calling it Goju. Well it kinda is Goju but its only a small part of Goju its not All of Goju. Or say a blue belt in BJJ starting a school but only knows up to a blue belt. Is he teaching BJJ well kinda but not really

ballen0351

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score

Its a sport it's a game. Hell they even call it a ground "game". Judo and BJJ Guys are called "players." And fighting in a ring is NOTHING like the real world unless real world fights have refs docs a cage to keep other people out a nice padded floor and are preplanned so you can get yourself ready.

And im not weaseling anything your the one that considers our troops in war on equal ground as a MMA guy in the ring. Again pretty disrespectful of you

ballen0351

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
People die in boxing and wrestling too. And in "sport judo" as well. And, occasionally, even in football.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

Correct just because something is a game doesn't make it safe or not dangerous

TFP

Blue Belt
Reaction score
just a very violent sport where the rules favour fighters with certain skills and ban some of the more damaging forms of attack.
:asian:

you mean like starting the fight standing, then being stood up by a ref mid fight at his discretion, then having the fight stopped for a minute and it restarting on the feet?

ballen0351

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
you mean like starting the fight standing, then being stood up by a ref mid fight at his discretion, then having the fight stopped for a minute and it restarting on the feet?

So your saying there is no grappling done while standing?

ballen0351

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
No I am not.

So then how does standing people up benefit anyone other then the fans that don't like watching people lay around. See being a sport it's all about the dollar and the fans provide the dollars so the rules are made to make the fans happy

lklawson

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Its a sport it's a game. Hell they even call it a ground "game". Judo and BJJ Guys are called "players." And fighting in a ring is NOTHING like the real world unless real world fights have refs docs a cage to keep other people out a nice padded floor and are preplanned so you can get yourself ready.

And im not weaseling anything your the one that considers our troops in war on equal ground as a MMA guy in the ring. Again pretty disrespectful of you
I'm writing this from Wright-Patterson AFB.

Your claim that it's "disrespectful" is weaseling, hoping to change the subject from how your assertion that "rules = game" has been disproved (easily) to making me defend myself from your claim. It's a little similar to your earlier statement of "I don't care to find out what your position actually is, but I'm a cop so you're wrong." You shoulda been a politician.

Again, the existence of rules doesn't mean it's any less of a fight. Stop weaseling and man up.

TFP

Blue Belt
Reaction score
So then how does standing people up benefit anyone other then the fans that don't like watching people lay around. See being a sport it's all about the dollar and the fans provide the dollars so the rules are made to make the fans happy
If you don't understand how standing up two fighters, one who is primarily a grappler and one who is primary a striker benefits the striker than I believe any amount of factual reasoning will be lost on you.:flushed:

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Standing fighters, breaking the clinch, allowing a standing fighter to force a down opponent to stand.... There are rules that clearly benefit strikers. But, being fair, no knees to the head of a downed opponent and rules like this favor the grappler.

I think the net is striker friendly, just as football rules favor the pass and baseball favors the hitter. Offense is more exciting, and spectator sports are about filling seats.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

ballen0351

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I'm writing this from Wright-Patterson AFB.

Your claim that it's "disrespectful" is weaseling, hoping to change the subject from how your assertion that "rules = game" has been disproved (easily) to making me defend myself from your claim. It's a little similar to your earlier statement of "I don't care to find out what your position actually is, but I'm a cop so you're wrong." You shoulda been a politician.

Again, the existence of rules doesn't mean it's any less of a fight. Stop weaseling and man up.

You writing from an air force Base means nothing to me I was a Marine and I have lost friends in the war that YOU not me compared to the UFC. The topic was rules with regards to the UFC that's been the topic for about 20 pages you changed it to the military for some unknown reason since it had nothing to do with the topic. So you man up and say your sorry for your disrespect.

Latest Discussions