"spiritual attainment" and neigong ("Inner Power")

Internal Lars

White Belt
Reaction score
Hello and welcome

Here is discussion thread for those who would like to dive deep into what it really means to cultivate "neigong" or the "Inner Power" commonly associated with but not limited to Chinese Martial Arts.

The following is just my current stance (pun intended!) on what it means. This is something I've come feel and comprehend through years of my own training and experience training Tai Chi, doing push-hands, and a little BJJ and MMA as well... Just to be sure.

What-da-ya-say dudes'n dudesses? How about we lite this up with a powerful blast, project some spiritual Ch'i and send Conor McGregor and Xuxiaodong flying across the octagon, wondering what the hell hit them!

Err... hmmmm.... ok, maybe it's a good idea at this point, to calm down to Earth just a little and try using some modern scientific principles, involving physical, causal agents that can be replicated through training to deduce and discern what we're actually talking about here.

Please, people, if you're going to be using buzz-words like "Ch'i/Qi", "Fa-Jin" etc, please explain what you mean by relating it some some-kind of modern scientific language. Doesn't have to be long, you could even just link to another article or video some-where, which clearly explains your interpretation so that people can refer to it and understand your view-point as much as possible.

Or perhaps, instead you could explain your personal experience with it, how it feels for you in your body, any combative experience using had with it, if you've had a Master/Instructor demonstrate it to you, and you felt it was legit etc.

When I say "neigong", a good article on what expresses my current interpretation and personal feeling of it, is this Wikipedia article right here => Neigong - Wikipedia . Could be a little better, but I feel at this time, it is about as good an explanation of neigong that english speakers can interpret. What I would say about this particular interpretation, is that the "Neigong and meditation" section of the article, really, just as much belongs in the "Neigong and the internal martial arts" section, which is part of what I'm referencing in the next thing I'd like to say.

The following is from the front page of my website right here ==> Qi Guidence , and also I have included it the "about" section of my youtube channel, which is linked to on my website.

While it's true that "spiritual attainment" happens as a result of cultivating neigong through (respective means, if those who claim neigong have no enhanced awareness of the mechanics of their muscular movement, skeletal alignment, balance, kinesthesia and tactile sensitivity beyond that of a typical individual, and are unable to demonstrate that by translating it into some obvious and measurable effect, like at least feats of movement or even fighting skills (if they choose to) that are not possible without it, then any mislead fool or fraudster can claim to be an "Enlightened Tai Chi Master". Having said this, everyone has their own respective interpretation of Tai Chi, and this is just my interpretation, you may take it or leave it. Tai Chi is very rich, and everyone has their own vision of what they'd like to achieve and promote with it. In this case it's contributing to the intrinsic understanding of the Philosophy, Methodology and Process associated with measurable neigong.

Thank you very much for taking the time, I value your willingness to participate in this conversation and thereby contributing to the further development of the Martial Arts and specifically in understanding neigong.

Let's get the party started!

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Hello and welcome

Here is discussion thread for those who would like to dive deep into what it really means to cultivate "neigong" or the "Inner Power" commonly associated with but not limited to Chinese Martial Arts.

The following is just my current stance (pun intended!) on what it means. This is something I've come feel and comprehend through years of my own training and experience training Tai Chi, doing push-hands, and a little BJJ and MMA as well... Just to be sure.

What-da-ya-say dudes'n dudesses? How about we lite this up with a powerful blast, project some spiritual Ch'i and send Conor McGregor and Xuxiaodong flying across the octagon, wondering what the hell hit them!

Err... hmmmm.... ok, maybe it's a good idea at this point, to calm down to Earth just a little and try using some modern scientific principles, involving physical, causal agents that can be replicated through training to deduce and discern what we're actually talking about here.

Please, people, if you're going to be using buzz-words like "Ch'i/Qi", "Fa-Jin" etc, please explain what you mean by relating it some some-kind of modern scientific language. Doesn't have to be long, you could even just link to another article or video some-where, which clearly explains your interpretation so that people can refer to it and understand your view-point as much as possible.

Or perhaps, instead you could explain your personal experience with it, how it feels for you in your body, any combative experience using had with it, if you've had a Master/Instructor demonstrate it to you, and you felt it was legit etc.

When I say "neigong", a good article on what expresses my current interpretation and personal feeling of it, is this Wikipedia article right here => Neigong - Wikipedia . Could be a little better, but I feel at this time, it is about as good an explanation of neigong that english speakers can interpret. What I would say about this particular interpretation, is that the "Neigong and meditation" section of the article, really, just as much belongs in the "Neigong and the internal martial arts" section, which is part of what I'm referencing in the next thing I'd like to say.

The following is from the front page of my website right here ==> Qi Guidence , and also I have included it the "about" section of my youtube channel, which is linked to on my website.

While it's true that "spiritual attainment" happens as a result of cultivating neigong through (respective means, if those who claim neigong have no enhanced awareness of the mechanics of their muscular movement, skeletal alignment, balance, kinesthesia and tactile sensitivity beyond that of a typical individual, and are unable to demonstrate that by translating it into some obvious and measurable effect, like at least feats of movement or even fighting skills (if they choose to) that are not possible without it, then any mislead fool or fraudster can claim to be an "Enlightened Tai Chi Master". Having said this, everyone has their own respective interpretation of Tai Chi, and this is just my interpretation, you may take it or leave it. Tai Chi is very rich, and everyone has their own vision of what they'd like to achieve and promote with it. In this case it's contributing to the intrinsic understanding of the Philosophy, Methodology and Process associated with measurable neigong.

Thank you very much for taking the time, I value your willingness to participate in this conversation and thereby contributing to the further development of the Martial Arts and specifically in understanding neigong.

Let's get the party started!
ive run through this before in quite long posts, yes i believe in chi and inner peace, but not that they are caused by or limited to internal ma.

You can sence this in lots of people who have never been near a dojo in their life.

its caused by developing your nervous system, so the physical feats you are capable of increase, by ensuring that your rational brain has control of your freshly developed NS and not the other way round and that psychologically you stop feeling your inferior to others and give up the idea you are in anyway in charge of your own fate.

t those are internal, they manifest externally, your projection of confidence, the change in your body language and posture all change how other people view you and react to you, usually for the better, but not always

OP
I

Internal Lars

White Belt
Reaction score
ive run through this before in quite long posts, yes i believe in chi and inner peace, but not that they are caused by or limited to internal ma.

You can sence this in lots of people who have never been near a dojo in their life.

its caused by developing your nervous system, so the physical feats you are capable of increase, by ensuring that your rational brain has control of your freshly developed NS and not the other way round and that psychologically you stop feeling your inferior to others and give up the idea you are in anyway in charge of your own fate.

t those are internal, they manifest externally, your projection of confidence, the change in your body language and posture all change how other people view you and react to you, usually for the better, but not always

Hi Jobo! Many thanks for your reply. I totally agree that chi, inner peace, the likes and specifically internal development, are not limited to the Internal Martial arts, or any any other specific discipline.

However, to cultivate and fine-tune these things, I'm sure you'll agree we do need specific training methodologies beyond daily life.

I couldn't agree more with your stance on the issue so far. As you seem to be hinting to, it's important there be a mundane, life experience to relate to, quantify by rational means, and draw upon when teaching/practicing "chi" in the dojo.

Latest Discussions