Speedy footwork (Boxing, Shotokan, TaeKwondo) vs stationary exchanges (Kickboxing, Kyokushin, MT).

Acronym

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Having watched my fair share of KB and Muay Thai, it's evident that they don't have footwork in their vocabulary, with the exception of a few fighters like Saenchai who does everything his own way.

In other words they're pretty much stationary and just bang. This works fine in the ring but is it a a good cross-over for self defense compared to elusive fighting, with a little less bang but a lot less self preservation?

Common sense dictates that it's an awful way to defend yourself. You don't want to be stuck in the pocket in a street fight which tends to have unknown variables by definition.

What say you guys?

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Having watched my fair share of KB and Muay Thai, it's evident that they don't have footwork in their vocabulary, with the exception of a few fighters like Saenchai who does everything his own way.

In other words they're pretty much stationary and just bang. This works fine in the ring but is it a a good cross-over for self defense compared to elusive fighting, with a little less bang but a lot less self preservation?

Common sense dictates that it's an awful way to defend yourself. You don't want to be stuck in the pocket in a street fight which tends to have unknown variables by definition.

What say you guys?
well ut depends, if you can bang hard enough often enough there is no need to evade, in fact why would you, knock them over, get on with your day, fights tend to happen very quickly and all in

of course there no reason why these fighters cant be elusive if they wsnt to, its really not hard to keep out of range,

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score

What say you guys?
I don't think it's that clean cut. There are benefits to being stationary and benefits to being elusive. Self-defense uses a variety of tactics. It's only when you are sports competition where elusive vs stationary becomes an either or measure. In self-defense you will use the one that best suits the situation you find yourself in.

OP
A

Acronym

Master of Arts
Reaction score
of course there no reason why these fighters cant be elusive if they wsnt to, its really not hard to keep out of range,

It's not hard physically to do but if you grow accustomed to stand and bang, then that will be the range you are most psychologically comfortable in.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
they don't have footwork in their vocabulary,
You may need to define footwork in more detail.

Does footwork mean that you

- know how to move around?
- can punch while your feet are moving (dynamic punch)?

In another thread, I asked a question,

Why do you use step, step, turn (body stop), and strike? Why don't you strike while you are moving?

In these clip, their punches are integrated within their footwork. Are we talking about this kind of footwork here?

chain-punch.gif

running-punch-slow.gif

Adam-dynamic-punch-1.gif

Last edited:

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
It's not hard physically to do but if you grow accustomed to stand and bang, then that will be the range you are most psychologically comfortable in.
then, attack, it is really the best form of defence

OP
A

Acronym

Master of Arts
Reaction score
then, attack, it is really the best form of defence

Plenty of people have taken your attitude and gotten a surprise stabbing in the stomach.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Old MA saying said, "You may not find any opening to attack. As long as you keep moving, soon or later you will find some opening to attack". There is a good reason that many MA school start from footwork before stance, kick, and punch.

In this clip, his punch coordinates with his leading foot landing, his power generation and footwork are integrated.

XY-Beng.gif

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Plenty of people have taken your attitude and gotten a surprise stabbing in the stomach.
and a lot more havent @so your point is dont fight you might get stabbed,ok fair enough, ypu run with that, il bang em

OP
A

Acronym

Master of Arts
Reaction score
and a lot more havent @so your point is dont fight you might get stabbed,ok fair enough, ypu run with that, il bang em

I didn't say don't fight them. I said don't stand and bang with them

Oni_Kadaki

Green Belt
Reaction score

I didn't say don't fight them. I said don't stand and bang with them

In my experience, standing and banging with someone usually requires great physical conditioning... I much prefer banging on a bed, a couch, or even a table.

Joking aside, on the point about stabbing and running, I'd argue that, if you can retreat, you usually should, and for exactly that reason. If you're on defense, your attacker is on offense because they believe they have an edge, be it physical strength, numbers (which you may not be aware of), and/or a weapon (which you also may not be aware of). Getting out of dodge eliminates all of these possibilities. That's why I save the martial arts for the rare situation where I cannot safely get away.

OP
A

Acronym

Master of Arts
Reaction score
you have to come in range at some point, if your going to fight them, then they can stab you, it makes no differeance

the longer range I have the less penetration it will have, and I wrote surprise, as in he pulls it out

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
q
the longer range I have the less penetration it will have, and I wrote surprise, as in he pulls it out
there is only one 100% reliable defebce to a knife and thats to retreat faster than he is coming forwards, that works every time, provieded you have both the room and the speed to do that, turning to run against someone who can out sprint you over 50 yards will just see you stabbed in the back, playing tag with them is dosgy as evenually they will catch up with you .

peopke with knives are dangerous, people with kbives in their pocket a lit less so, treat any attacker as havibg a kbive in his pocket and you a) wont be suprised and b) will see that the safest action is to take them out hard and fast, whilst the knife is still in their pocket

wab25

Master Black Belt
Reaction score

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
you have to come in range at some point, if your going to fight them, then they can stab you, it makes no differeance

Not really. You can mitigate risks with footwork. Rather than say standing and trading you can use space and counter striking which leaves you less in danger of getting stabbed because you are exposed for a smaller amount of time.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
The footwork idea is explored in MMA about it and has a lot of overlap for self defence. Basically the issue is that with the smaller gloves you stand a much greater risk of a stray shot putting you down.

You are more like to get hit in an exchange and you are probably going to get hit harder.

So quite often good MMA strikers are very footwork oriented.

In self defense if you get put down or knocked out you are in a lot of trouble. So standing back and using footwork can be a bit safer.