Speed and Motor Skill Drills

OP
skyeisonfire

skyeisonfire

Blue Belt
Reaction score
So you put up a video, but you don't want people to comment on it.

What is your purpose to put up your video then?

I share it for entertainment. It's more for my own analysis. I do a two hour workout in all each video. So, there is much more footage that I scrutinize on my own. I used to not post videos before my YouTube. It was strictly a tool for me to see the things my teacher would point out. I just do a "highlight" to share nowadays. Nothing more.

I understand this is a forum for discussion. But I'll ask if I have questions. I'm posting my videos in the members in motion category to show my highlights so anyone can take away their own ideas. Not forcing my own views on anyone if it's not something you like, then move on. If you do, then good for you. I don't expect props from anyone here or anywhere. In the end, I'm customizing my own training regimen for me alone. I spend a lot of time watching others more than anyone knows. I practice many other things I don't post. Some things I will keep to myself.

If you guys don't want to see my content anymore then the moderators can ban me or let me know to stop. Otherwise, ill keep posting and sharing whether its good or crazy.

Last edited:

Martial D

Senior Master
Reaction score
Speed is important as well as conditioning the muscles to have both speed and have a strong, solid impact on landing. Conditioning of the entire body to achieve this is the means to accomplishing this. I break it up to 3 different points. 1-practice speed drills, 2-practice performing solid/powerful impacts, 3-practice the first 2 in combinations.

All the things I do in my vids are single components. Together, they complete a puzzle. There are blocks, strikes, faints, done spontaneously and/or are interchangeable depending on the need.

I'm not sure what you mean by structure. My intention is not to dance around and chase anyone around if I'm at a point of being angry and show aggression to have to defend myself, I'm not going to stop until one of us is down.
I mean these are arm strikes. If you engage your body you can get real power. Practicing arm flicks isn't really building speed unless you also intend to strike that way in practice.

OP
skyeisonfire

skyeisonfire

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I mean these are arm strikes. If you engage your body you can get real power. Practicing arm flicks isn't really building speed unless you also intend to strike that way in practice.

Practicing motor skills in this drill. Practicing for speed and power..I do both. I combine them. It's all a matter when to apply either. Your mond/body will recruit different muscle fibers if you train them to be utilized. Training for one over the other is a big disadvantage. That's all I have to say.

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
I share it for entertainment. It's more for my own analysis. I do a two hour workout in all each video. So, there is much more footage that I scrutinize on my own. I used to not post videos before my YouTube. It was strictly a tool for me to see the things my teacher would point out. I just do a "highlight" to share nowadays. Nothing more.

I understand this is a forum for discussion. But I'll ask if I have questions. I'm posting my videos in the members in motion category to show my highlights so anyone can take away their own ideas. Not forcing my own views on anyone if it's not something you like, then move on. If you do, then good for you. I don't expect props from anyone here or anywhere. In the end, I'm customizing my own training regimen for me alone. I spend a lot of time watching others more than anyone knows. I practice many other things I don't post. Some things I will keep to myself.

If you guys don't want to see my content anymore then the moderators can ban me or let me know to stop. Otherwise, ill keep posting and sharing whether its good or crazy.
Lol no ones telling you not to. But this is the Internet. You post a video you're going to get opinions and comments and criticism if you can't take the criticism then don't post. I wouldn't because I don't need all that but if you do then you need to learn to just accept it. Maybe you can even learn something. There's a lot of different perspectives and lot of stuff you don't know so why not listen to other people? No one here is being rude to you people are just sharing their opinions. That's what this forum is for. If you want to use it for your own self analysation and nothing else and don't want anyone to say anything then why even upload? Again I'm not telling you not to you do what you want but people will continue to share opinions as long as you continue to post. That's the internet for you

OP
skyeisonfire

skyeisonfire

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Lol no ones telling you not to. But this is the Internet. You post a video you're going to get opinions and comments and criticism if you can't take the criticism then don't post. I wouldn't because I don't need all that but if you do then you need to learn to just accept it. Maybe you can even learn something. There's a lot of different perspectives and lot of stuff you don't know so why not listen to other people? No one here is being rude to you people are just sharing their opinions. That's what this forum is for. If you want to use it for your own self analysation and nothing else and don't want anyone to say anything then why even upload? Again I'm not telling you not to you do what you want but people will continue to share opinions as long as you continue to post. That's the internet for you

Correct.

pdg

Senior Master
Reaction score
I understand this is a forum for discussion. But I'll ask if I have questions

As above, that's not really how forums work.

You post something, it gets discussed.

If the discussion is something you're not willing to live with but still want to publish videos, then just publish them on YouTube and turn off comments.

Alternatively, keep posting the videos here but don't reply to comments. Not the way to get popular enough to enable video monetisation, but an option...

OP
skyeisonfire

skyeisonfire

Blue Belt
Reaction score
It's all good. I'm not worried about monetization anymore any ways. My focus is now is pure fitness training and how it applies to MA.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
that's not really how forums work. You post something, it gets discussed....
I once made myself a fool by given comment. The OP responds as, "This thread is for information only. Your opponent is not important here."
Agree with you 100% there. I don't believe this can happen again. But history has just repeated.

When Xue Sheng was still here, sometime he put up a clip without any word. I always asked, "What's your purpose to start this thread?" May be from now on, we should always ask, "Is this another information only thread?", This way we may all save some of our valuable typing time.

If a new thread doesn't have:

- What's your opinion on this?
- Your thought?
- Any comment?

May be we should just treat that thread as "information only" thread.

Last edited:

paitingman

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Get or make one of these:

View attachment 22617

The band goes on your head and you punch the ball, which is attached by elastic.

You get a moving target, you also get something flying at your head.

They're properly entertaining to use, and as long as you put a bit of effort in (and are prepared to get smacked in the face) they're a surprisingly good and useful workout ;)
Been using one of these since about 2012 and love it.
Definitely noticable difference in my punching accuracy and fluency when I first started using it.
Still use it often just to loosen up and keep sharp.

However the most noticable difference is I'm seriously much better at catching things lol. Good throw, bad throw. Doesn't matter haha. I am much more confident when people throw me things

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

paitingman

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Practicing motor skills in this drill. Practicing for speed and power..I do both. I combine them. It's all a matter when to apply either. Your mond/body will recruit different muscle fibers if you train them to be utilized. Training for one over the other is a big disadvantage. That's all I have to say.
Any specific muscle groups and fibers you can elaborate on?

Also do you have any other training targets/dummies?
This one looks great for hitting from the front, but can you use it comfortable enough from an angle?

Last edited:

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Haha! Seen those, but no.....

I do however, play catch the tennis ball aimed at my face
Based on how you punch, I don't think it's possible to use that thing. I know for the types of punches that I do, that would be a waste of time for me.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
People take these videos and over analyze them then try to add their own spin on it. I'm not asking for that. I'm just showing the darn video is all.
You are doing well and holding your own. It comes with the territory of posting videos. It's a good thing especially if you are looking to attract eyeballs.

It's better to have people comment than not comment, no matter where the conversation may lead. Sometimes it's a nightmare, but even then they didn't have to comment. There are a lot of videos that are ignored,. When people comment it usually means you have stirred enough interest to make them want to say something lol.

Your punches are definitely faster than mine. In my age I tend to focus more timing vs trying toe beat someone to the punch. I probably focused more on fast foot work than anything else in terms of speed I do train speed but not so much specifically with the focus of punching fast. I have 4 exercises that I used to do, to train fast punches. It's a good opportunity for me to take a video of how fast I punch now so I can compare it with how fast I punch after the training.

paitingman

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Based on how you punch, I don't think it's possible to use that thing. I know for the types of punches that I do, that would be a waste of time for me.
I thought the same way.
My punching technique is often not at all like the one I use when training with the elastic ball.
But just training my baseline skill level of tracking a fast moving target with difficult visibility has been useful.
Even with no ball or different punching technique, I am aware where the target is and where my hand and body are for accurate strike.

I recommend anyone have fun with any exercise like this for just good hand training and eye training. Exercises like in @skyeisonfire video as well.
They are similar to me because they develop strong, hand skill and dexterity.

OP
skyeisonfire

skyeisonfire

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Any specific muscle groups and fibers you can elaborate on?

Also do you have any training target/dummy?
This one looks great for hitting from the front, but can you use it comfortable enough from an angle?

This target dummy is for frontal drills as seen in my drill videos. No, it's not for side attacks.

I'm going to start building a full workout station that will support a 100 lb. Bag. I'll be spending a lot of time on that. The workout station will include all that I will need for my physical conditioning. I will also have a dumbell, barbell set with weights.

As far as muscle groups and training, any push and pull, core work and full body compound movements. Lots of isometric and negative weighted holds. Combine that with hand/foot conditioning, coordination drills, speed drills, power striking, short and long range, and that with combination drills of all your strikes. It's more a whole structure of training than isolated training.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I'm going to start building a full workout station that will support a 100 lb. Bag.
This is going to be my new workout station lol

I think I can get away with 3 posts.

Edit: Maybe 5 lol

OP
skyeisonfire

skyeisonfire

Blue Belt
Reaction score
This is going to be my new workout station lol

I think I can get away with 3 posts.

Edit: Maybe 5 lol

Lol. I used to have 4 doorways connected to a point that separated 4 rooms. I stood in the middle and did all sorts of kicks on all the frames (with soft rubber soled shoes) that included front, side, rear kicks as well combined them with blocking kicks. It was quite a workout. Been wanting to do a four post stepup for that and punching. Maybe one day. I don't have the room nor a yard. The things I could do if I only had a yard. Lol

Latest Discussions