Speak your mind

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
That's usually not healthy.

I disagree. Words have consequences, whether for you or others. Being careless with them is a bad idea and indicates a lack of maturity and self control.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

OP
P

PhotonGuy

Senior Master
Reaction score
I disagree. Words have consequences, whether for you or others. Being careless with them is a bad idea and indicates a lack of maturity and self control.
In the USA there is the first amendment which states you're allowed to speak your mind. From what I know about most other countries, you're also allowed to speak your mind. A smart person will learn from mistakes. The important thing is if you do say the wrong thing that you learn from it. I do realize that I am not always right. However, if I don't open my mouth even if I do end up saying the wrong thing I will not learn from making mistakes. Sometimes, to learn in life you have to take risks within reason. As I said, within reason. I wouldn't suggest driving down the street at 100 MPH or doing anything else that unnecessarily puts yourself and others at danger, but by risks that can involve taking the chance of saying the wrong thing. You might risk embarrassing yourself but you will learn from that. If you are immature and lack self control with words than you have to see your folly so you can improve. I know this saying that says that wisdom is the booby prize for being unwise, and its true. If you feel strongly about something, and I speak from my own experience, keeping it bottled up just isn't healthy.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
If you feel strongly about something, and I speak from my own experience, keeping it bottled up just isn't healthy.
bottling up emotions can be very self destructive. It sounds like you're confusing words with emotions. You have to express your emotions in a constructive way, and sometimes, having a confidant is critical. Whether that's a professional counselor, a good friend or a spouse. I tell my wife things I'd never tell my boss. :)

OP
P

PhotonGuy

Senior Master
Reaction score
bottling up emotions can be very self destructive. It sounds like you're confusing words with emotions. You have to express your emotions in a constructive way, and sometimes, having a confidant is critical. Whether that's a professional counselor, a good friend or a spouse. I tell my wife things I'd never tell my boss. :)

Emotions are expressed with words. You have to say what's on your mind to release your emotions and not keep them bottled up. You're right though, there is a time and place for speaking your mind. It would be smart to not say some stuff to your boss that you might say to your wife since in doing so you might lose your job. Likewise, there is stuff I would say on the internet and on boards such as this one that in most cases I would not say face to face in public. You do have to weigh the consequences of your words but if the consequences are at worst, that you might embarrass yourself, than I would say its a consequence worth taking.

OP
P

PhotonGuy

Senior Master
Reaction score
Sometimes it is healthier. Sometimes you might be compelled to say something, and the person hearing it, not wanting to bottle things up either, knocks all your teeth out. :)

That would depend in the situation of how you're saying what you're saying. If for instance you're saying something on an internet board and somebody reads it and wants to knock your teeth out, they won't be able to unless they can somehow reach through the computer. If you say something in public on the street and somebody knocks your teeth out you can press charges, both criminal and civil. By law, you're allowed to express yourself with words but not always with actions, not if those actions involve knocking somebody's teeth out.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Emotions are expressed with words.

Not always, they can also be expressed by action and in action as well as other physical issues, no words required.

You have to say what's on your mind to release your emotions and not keep them bottled up.

that is a healthy way to deal with them

You do have to weigh the consequences of your words but if the consequences are at worst, that you might embarrass yourself, than I would say its a consequence worth taking.

Yup words have meaning and if you cannot deal with those consequences or do not want to deal with or shouldn't deal with those consequences, don't say them

but then that was already said

Words have consequences

Cirdan

Senior Master
Reaction score
Action speaks louder than words.
Letting your emotions speak without the benefit of intellect is unwise, acting on them without thought is worse.
Giving emotions free reign is what children do because they havent grown up and mastered themselves yet.

wingchun100

Senior Master
Reaction score
Action speaks louder than words.
Letting your emotions speak without the benefit of intellect is unwise, acting on them without thought is worse.
Giving emotions free reign is what children do because they havent grown up and mastered themselves yet.

Studies have shown we are at our dumbest when we are at our angriest. When emotions run high, it is better to cool off.

OP
P

PhotonGuy

Senior Master
Reaction score
Well people have a right to state their opinions. While I don't think people should be shot for the color of the shirt they wear, as I used as an example earlier, I do have other points of view that one might say is very absurd, but its better to say my points of view than not to.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well people have a right to state their opinions. While I don't think people should be shot for the color of the shirt they wear, as I used as an example earlier, I do have other points of view that one might say is very absurd, but its better to say my points of view than not to.

"Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt." - I believe this is attributed to Abraham Lincoln.

wingchun100

Senior Master
Reaction score

Right but for certain opinions, I believe there is a time and a place. This concept is also know as "know your audience."

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
"Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt." - I believe this is attributed to Abraham Lincoln.

Or as my mom used to say, "don't advertise your ignorance." :)

donald1

Senior Master
Reaction score
It's good to be quite, you learn more that way and if you're wrong than you don't seem like the ignorant one but if you're talk you prove your point or are given an opportunity to learn from your mistake. Freedom of speech is a privilege not a right there's places where freedom of speech is acceptable and even welcomed but some places think otherwise and if they do that's that
It's good to say what you think is right or what is the truth but some places will not accept free speech and some of those places may have consequences

OP
P

PhotonGuy

Senior Master
Reaction score
Or as my mom used to say, "don't advertise your ignorance." :)

Depending on the situation, sometimes its better to advertise your ignorance since you learn from your mistakes. You end up embarrassing yourself but you learn from that. Sometimes I advertise my ignorance so I can be corrected, so that I can learn from correction.

OP
P

PhotonGuy

Senior Master
Reaction score
It's good to be quite, you learn more that way and if you're wrong than you don't seem like the ignorant one but if you're talk you prove your point or are given an opportunity to learn from your mistake. Freedom of speech is a privilege not a right there's places where freedom of speech is acceptable and even welcomed but some places think otherwise and if they do that's that
It's good to say what you think is right or what is the truth but some places will not accept free speech and some of those places may have consequences

In most places in the USA, at least in public places, freedom of speech is a right given by the first amendment of the constitution. It is a privilege only in private places where whoever owns the place has the right to censor certain stuff. And if I do speak my mind and appear ignorant I learn from that, as you said I learn from my mistake.