Sparring

Datu Tim Hartman

Senior Master
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Cons: You dont really get to work on something specific, such as a textbook disarm, but thats what the drilling is for.
I wouldn't say that it's a con as much finding the right tool for the job. The disarms that GM Remy taught us are designed for self defense, where the opponent is making committed attacks. In sparring we have an energy more like a boxer's jab.

OP
M

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks for the info! Your thread is about sparring and it's in the Modern Arnis forum! Sparring in Modern Arnis was defined by the Grand Master of Modern Arnis! My point was that regardless of your preference, pre-arranged sparring has been part of Modern Arnis. You are straying from the point! If now you are now saying it's in FMA in general, then perhaps this discussion would have been better suited in the FMA area?

I understand that. I'm saying that while that may be the case, perhaps it is because of what I said in my last post...that perhaps due to the differences in the 2 countries, he did it for safety purposes. Not sure what I'm straying from, as I posted that link as a solid example of things that can be applied to not only Modern Arnis, but to any art. I also stated that when my teacher went to the PI, he stated to me that things were done differently there compared to the way we do things here. Same art, but yet things are different. Hmm....

Thanks for the invite. I actually taught a session at your April BB session. I didn't see you there. :) Sorry you missed it. It was a good group and a lot of fun. As an aside, the stick sparring seems to be popular based on what I saw in seminars and on my DVD sales. The stick sparring is one of the top sellers.
Thanks for the discussion all. Have a great holiday!

I was most likely working that day. Unfortunately, alot of the things I'd like to do, fall on weekends, and I get a full weekend off about every 13 weeks. I did hear about your session though. :)

OP
M

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I put sparring into two basic classifications. Semi - Sparring and Free Sparring.

1. Tapi - Tapi, Hubod, Sumbrada, etc. are Semi - Sparring.

2. Two people with stick trying to hit each other is Free Sparring.

From there I further divide sparring into Point, Continuous and MMA Sparring. We do all three at my school and all bring different attributes and skills to the table.

If you look in Remy's pink book you'll see that there are rules for free sparring. The funny thing is that he never had up do it. Of course that never stopped me. I was always the first one in and the last one out when it came doing things outside the box.

Yes, I looked in the pink book last night. I am curious though...you said that he never had people do it. Why was that? I'm glad to see that you enjoyed it. :)

I know what you mean. The interesting think is watching their first introduction to Free sparring!

Yeah, it is an eye opener. :) IMHO, I think its good to take people out of their comfort zone and force them into a zone that isn't as relaxed.

I wouldn't say that it's a con as much finding the right tool for the job. The disarms that GM Remy taught us are designed for self defense, where the opponent is making committed attacks. In sparring we have an energy more like a boxer's jab.

But wouldn't you say that in the sparring, there are still committed attacks? I mean, when I watch a Dog Bros. clip, I see some shots that have that 'take your head off' intent.

Datu Tim Hartman

Senior Master
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
But wouldn't you say that in the sparring, there are still committed attacks? I mean, when I watch a Dog Bros. clip, I see some shots that have that 'take your head off' intent.
It's different. Remy's basic disarms that he taught the masses weren't designed to work against educated fighters. At least not the the way he taught them on the seminar floor. What I was taught on the side or when we were alone was a lot different.
Yes, I looked in the pink book last night. I am curious though...you said that he never had people do it. Why was that? I'm glad to see that you enjoyed it. :)
I have several theories but it's probably best to say that we didn't have easy access to the proper training equipment.

OP
M

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
It's different. Remy's basic disarms that he taught the masses weren't designed to work against educated fighters. At least not the the way he taught them on the seminar floor. What I was taught on the side or when we were alone was a lot different.

So, is it safe to say then that things were changed due to the country that we was teaching in (US) vs. where he came from (PI)?

I have several theories but it's probably best to say that we didn't have easy access to the proper training equipment.

I'm willing to hear the other theories, if you're willing to share them. Feel free to PM me if you wish. If not, thats cool. :) I do agree though, proper equipment is necessary.

Datu Tim Hartman

Senior Master
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
So, is it safe to say then that things were changed due to the country that we was teaching in (US) vs. where he came from (PI)?
I wouldn't say what country as much as what kind of opponent you were training for. He taught the masses FMA concepts applied to Self Defense. In the PI FMA is the minority in the martial arts community just like in the rest of the world.

I'm willing to hear the other theories, if you're willing to share them. Feel free to PM me if you wish. If not, thats cool. :) I do agree though, proper equipment is necessary.
What's a good number to call you on? I have free long distance.

OP
M

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I wouldn't say what country as much as what kind of opponent you were training for. He taught the masses FMA concepts applied to Self Defense. In the PI FMA is the minority in the martial arts community just like in the rest of the world.

Ok.

What's a good number to call you on? I have free long distance.

I'll shoot you a PM. :)

Latest Discussions