Sparring tips

OP
M

MartialArtist

There is a difference between using good and sometimes fancy footwork vs. wearing yourself out.

Footwork should be used to change distances and thus, setting up your attacks or to defend. It doesn't mean you should keep on going in circles, but it doesn't mean waiting in a straight line and waiting them to attack. I do use footwork all around to confuse them, but if they don't come after me, just relax and be a little more passive. When you see an oppourtunity, that is when your footwork should literally blaze the opponent.

Using one step at the right moment is effective. It is very effective and I did use it many times. No better way to humiliate someone. And yes, I have been humiliated like that before.

But, some movements require more than one step, and to set up an attack against a trained figther is much more difficult. Also, a lot of the time, it isn't that easy as you can get caught off guard if you do only one step and they do something unexpected like go for a take-down immediately after feinting.

OP
S

strider

:asian: well as you know eraser im still new at hapkido. but here it is stay loose, pay attention, stay light on your feet, cover your head, and the most important one dont spare against Garret. :D see you in class. :asian:

OP
H

H@pkid0ist

Me again.
Don't be afraid to get hit. If you are then it can cause you to cower, delay, or freeze. While sparring just for the sake of getting used to it take a few good ones. If you get used to getting hit you wont be as timid. Of course the goal is to avoid getting hit in a fight, but it is inevitable, and you want to be prepaired. When you do get hit flow with it. It makes recovery quicker and easier, as well it can lead into some good counters and techniques.:rofl: enjoy.

OP
E

Eraser

Hey there

Well ive just gotten back from London, where i visited some Kenpo friends of mine.. took in a few lessons.. and yes we did some light contact sparring.. MAN it was tough!! BUt sooooooo much fun!!! im as stiff as a fish stick for it today.. but.. i did learn some cool things in a different style of MA. Im looking forward to sparring at my own school.. im gonna see if we can get a class together and try it out... hehehehehe
AND strider.. yes i know all about Garon.. he's a good sparring partner.. jsut watch he doesn't throw ya on your @ss heheheehehehehe
Thanks again everyone!!

OP
S

strider

hey eraser the good thing for me is that i have a while befor im in his class unlike someone else i know. hehehehehehehe:asian:

OP
E

Eraser

Well my Friend Strider..

Dont' be too sure about that..
Have you forgotten about Friday night and Sat Day's ALL BELT CLASS!! Don't think you can avoid him forever.. hehehehehehe
Naw.. he's cool..
Take care and i'll hopefully see ya in class on Tues!!

OP
L

lifewise

Originally posted by Eraser

.. and yes we did some light contact sparring.. MAN it was tough!! BUt sooooooo much fun!!! im as stiff as a fish stick for it today

:rofl: :rofl: Just as I suspected! You are a little more exhausted and sore than you let on .... :D :D

:asian:

OP
S

strider

:asian: hey eraser im actually looking forward to it. im hoping to learn alot from him.:asian:

Latest Discussions