Sparring one of my green belt students

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I would have to respectfully disagree, I did not think I was dominating my student. He was doing just fine, dealing with a higher dose of pressure than he is used to. I didn't feel that he was scared, overwhelmed, or not getting anything out of the session.
I see why you say what you’re saying. I didn’t mean you were dominating HIM. I meant IF you constantly dominate students, they won’t progress. It was a generalization rather than a “you dominated him, and he won’t get anything out of it” kind of thing. Some things get lost when communicating in this medium.

The above combined with the other post saying you increase the intensity as rank increases and it’s not an everyday thing is a great thing. You’ve got to go at them regularly, but not every time; keep at that. The only way people get better is by pushing them further than they’re comfortable with. But like you said, there’s a balance. Sometimes you’ve got to be technical and let them work their stuff, other times you’ve got to you’ve got to not “give” them much or anything and make them get it.

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Could you really not tell that he slipped?......
You clearly blasted him. My only criticism of it was you violated the golden rule - you didn’t re-stomp the groin. ALWAYS RE-STOMP THE GROIN!!!!

For the record, he slipped and kinda tripped himself up. But there’s no fun in saying that.

marques

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Some things that I think are issues I already mentioned here on previous discussions, as well as other people in this thread, are still there. BUT...

Great improvement on both sides since the last time! :)

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Welcoming feedback for one of my sparring videos, enjoy!

Looks like your rooting has greatly improved. I don't have much to say about your sparring because it looks like you are training your student.

Your student is having difficulty with distance. He's punching out of range. He had the problem that you had in the old videos of you sparring against your teacher, where you were punching and kicking at the gloves instead of targeting your opponents body. I'm sure that will vanish in time, and your green belt student will get better with measuring the distance.

As for the sparring itself move around more you're standing still most of the time.
Compared to his last videos he's taking it easy on his student. To be honest he has that same look that I get when I spar with students. Part of my attention is on sparring and half of my attention is to watch what the student is doing. I'm not sure if that's what he's doing but it looks that way to me. It just looks as if he's doing a lot of "watching."

Edit: Hands up! I know it’s hard when you’re out-classing the competition,
This is actually an easy issue to solve. You simply allow the students to hit you harder, than you are trying to hit them. It's difficult to keep your hands up when the punches aren't a threat.. Allow the students to put a little heat on their punches and you'll keep those hands up with no problem.

A general rule of hitting hard enough to want to move out of the way is a good way to determine how much power you and your partner should put into the sparring.

_Simon_

Senior Master
Reaction score
Awesome, enjoying watching that Azulx, I really like your style of sparring. You didn't look agitated, you were really calm and attentive, you countered when appropriate (and some of those counters were perfectly timed and placed), very rooted and grounded.

Thanks for sharing bro, and much respect for putting up vids too! :)

DaveB

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Hello,

I would encourage both of you (obviously more your student) to try to stay close rather than running from strikes.

Doing so encourages the skill of counter attacking and forces the use of a greater range of strikes.

Also your student looks like he needs to be more rooted, especially when he kicks.

Great work though to both of you.

Latest Discussions